Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rent a bike in city

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Great initiative, hope it is successful. Odd that there is no station yet anywhere north of the Suir, anywhere in Grace Dieu/Carrickpherish and based on population, could do with one around Knockboy/Ballygunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I know the reason for not putting any north of the Suir was due to the dangerous roundabout at the train station (you'd think that would act as an incentive for the council to make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists but alas, this is Waterford Council we're talking about). Hopefully will be reviewed if the new pedestrian bridge gets built. Knockboy/Ballygunner will be reviewed as part of phase 2 we were told, for phase 1 they didn't want to go past the hospital/ring road. Gracedieu/Carrickpherish looks like an obvious oversight, not sure why they didn't put any there but possible they were concerned the stands would be used to tie up horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are there any bikes near the greenway entrance near WIT Arena? That would be a great spot to put one but I presume certain companies have a monopoly on renting bikes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Nothing out that far, yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up putting a station there between the amount of people who go to WIT Arena and the Walton Institute.

I don't think the Bike Companies will be unduly worried, there's still a cost associated with these bikes if you have them longer than 30 minutes e.g. €6.50 for 4 hours and the €2 for each additional half an hour. Plus I know I'd rather be cycling the Greenway on a bike from one of the Greenway companies rather than those new Rent a Bike ones which are a lot heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

There’s no bike rental companies in WIT arena anymore ,and as johnnykilo says they are not the type of bike you would want to go on the greenway anyway they are handy for a few spins about town but not long stretches on the greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It is perfectly do able to go on the greenway though, I own a dutch style bike which I recently got serviced in Waterford and cycled 25miles back home to Kilkenny. Flat is fine (and the greenway is flat), but hills suck. You won't make any landspeed records on it either.

The TFI bikes wouldn't be far off the same weight as my bike, they also have the same upright riding position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Used them a few times, they're a great addition. You would have to take your time with them though, definitely no speeding on them which I suppose is not bad thing either. Hopefully if the scheme is successful they will add more cycle lanes around the town. Would also be great to see more stations.

The Kilcohan station is offline so they moved most of the bikes to other stations, the problem I noticed today was the one in Arundel sq was full as was Bank Lane. I passed the park and there was about 3 free. Pain in the ar$e for anyone coming to town on one. I also walked passed the kilbarry one the other day which was also full!

Teething problems but also a bit daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I think that's just a general issue, you'll always have stations that are full and ones that are empty at various stages of the day. When I lived in Dublin and was in the City Centre at weekday rush hour it used to be regular occurrence to see people on bikes waiting outside a station for other people to rent a bike, so they could check their one in.

Does the app tell you what the capacity at a station is, i.e. if there's any bays available so at least you know before you arrive and can maybe detour to another station that does have free bays?

I know they do have the lorry going around to redistribute bikes from one busy station to a less busy one, but obviously that can only do so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

makes sense to have such a feature on the app, and im sure its not that hard to implement either

• Advertisement

Yeah it shows all the info on the app in fairness but I'm not sure it's 100% accurate.

Yeah fair point about some stations being busy, especially the weekend that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Grafitti on the bike station down by the old ESB building on the mall so there already being vandalised

Shin

Pilot e-bike scheme to launch in Kilkenny city this morning (kclr96fm.com)

Anything you can do I can do better etc etc..... good to see though, some e-bikes to supplement the current scheme around Waterford would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭914

This is exactly what we should have done in Waterford. Forget TFI, go to a private company and get e-bikes.

It will probably be years by the time TFI opt for e-bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

stations look great around the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭azimuth17

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Bolt ebikes are very expensive by comparison to TFI which isn't a good thing, they charge 15c a min. Took a spin on one recently and it came to 1.11 for a 7min 30sec cycle. Also the Bolt bikes are speed limited in certain areas and geofenced so you can't actually go outside of certain areas either.

By comparison TFI is 10e to signup for the year, the first 30min of each trip is free and they and they are not speed limited or restricted.

Nothing to do with him, Bolt rolled out in Sligo first and Kilkenny would be similar sized so makes sense to try there next. Also Kilkenny is not already served by a bike share scheme like Waterford is so the likelihood is the uptake is likely to be better then if they rolled out in Waterford.

Yeah the ideal situation would be a mix of both with an e-bike option in addition to the regular bikes already there at each station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭914

Fair point on the price but TFI need a mix of manual and e-bikes in order for them to be a success I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Do many people use these bikes regularly? I have been out and about the last month and i pass a lot of stations for these bikes. Sometimes they are all there, other times half empty but i have yet to see one of the actual bikes being cycled around the town!

Just curious. Maybe they are popular early or late in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I've used it in the morning the odd time into the city. Handy for the students in Riverwalk going out to SETU, also a few cycling along that walkway by the river going from supervalu roundabout down to poleberry.

Not overly popular yet, but we need to properly sort out cycling lanes in the city over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

That was one of the many annoying things about the changes made to The Quay. In all the room there they could have put in properly segregated cycle lanes. But no, The Quay is a tool to force traffic onto a tolled road apparently. It is not a city centre asset to nurture.

I use them when possible. I've also started to notice more on the roads, probably more to do with the students being back.

To be fair they are a bargain if you are a student, nice quick way of getting around town.

Advertisement