Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Heard an interesting comment on a podcast comparing how Diaz plays LW compared to Mane, they said that Diaz doesn’t make the same amount of central runs as Mane used to, and that probably makes it easier for defenders to stay closer to Salah on the other side. I do wonder if Diaz is a better option against teams that will push forward and leave space behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id have to agree, but Nunez will make far more runs towards the 6 yard box than Firmino,

The way i see it its like we have just swapped Bobby to left wing (Diaz hard work, skillful , lack of goals) & Mane central ( Nunez strong , fighter ,goals )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think the way Diaz plays is a massive concern. Diaz is a different player to Mane alright but he was by far our best player in the first half against Fulham and could easily have been involved in 2 goals. The Salah and space problem actually starts further back in our play. When our midfield can't get on the ball and work space to get our full backs marauding down the line it forces Salah to drop deeper and come in to try get on the ball. This makes life much easier for the left full back marking him as he now has his midfielders close by to close out the space and if Salah does get away the opposition has time to recover with bodies as he's so far from goal. What Salah needs is Trent and Hendo passing their way around the opposition press, this allows to him to pull wide and isolate his man and the opposition midfielders are distracted by Trent and Hendo continuing with their runs so they cant double up on him. Liverpool and Salah struggled badly in that first half because Trent and Hendo could barley get on the ball such was the pressure from the Fulham midfield and when they did get on the ball they gave it back nearly straight away with some sloppy passes...It's one of the few chinks with Klopp's set-up, it's brilliant and unstoppable when in full flow but one player not up to scratch on a particular day can undermine the whole process....Unfortunately against Fulham with had 7/8 players not near the level required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

45 years ago today the 2nd coming happen as God came to Anfield from Celtic £440,000,it's safe to say it worked out pretty well,happy anniversary King Kenny

I agree with nearly everything you said but................

Diaz has been brilliant and gave us a right lift since he came in , just one thing s i think we have been saying " could easily have been involved in 2 goals " a bit to often, He needs to just get it done now, get that goal or get that assist, he's some what like the polar opposite of Jota at the minute , Jota plays some poor stuff then bang its goal ,

Not being over critical of Diaz as I think it will come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mane and Salah could be equally frustrating with the number of chances that weren't converted in some games. Against Fulham, Diaz had to do it all on his own. Robertson didn't overlap, Thiago wasn't actively involved and Firmino was anonymous. Early on Diaz's primary supply line was lumped balls from Alexander-Arnold that weren't particularly accurate passes.

We had too many players that weren't ready for the game on Saturday. Of the starters, Diaz was the only player that looked the part. If his shot that beat the keeper but not the woodwork or the cross that Firmino failed to connect with was more accurate then the game could have had a very different outcome. However when the players around him are spectating instead of actively engaging the opposition players it leaves him with too much to do - he's not a 25 year old Lionel Messi.

I get what you're a saying but I think Diaz is set for big things with us. He reminds me a bit of Suarez in his first season or 2, capable of the sublime but Suarez finishing really on got going towards the end of the 11/12 season and then we all know what happened the next 2 years of his Liverpool career but prior to that he was as likely to hit the keeper as he was score after doing all the hard work. I'm not saying Diaz is the next Suarez or anything but they do have that similarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I always thought Diogo stats were literally same or very close to Mane's, would Jots not be better in that position?

Ya I felt the same looking at the match Saturday, it was very frustrating as Diaz had the beating of him man all day and all we could give him was scraps! Robbo and Thiago were non existent with support down that side and Diaz was chasing over hit lost causes all day and even at that he still managed to draw 4 free's, somehow work himself into position to get a shot away that hit the woodwork and had a goal stroke out....

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Talk of spearing trending on Twitter that he's going to get game time, yeah believe it but I'd say mostly cups or could see 10/15 mins in maybe 5 or 6 games where we are comfortable to take pressure off, can also see Trent being used in midfield once Ramsay is fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Highest top speed in the first round of PL Games goes to Nunez at 36.53 km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Zero chance Spearing plays for Liverpool (seriously people are likely having a laugh) or Trent plays in midfield. If Trent was seen as a midfield option he'd have played there at some point but he's not had a minute of time in midfield under Klopp. I didn't think I'd see a worse shout than Matip as DM that gets trotted out every so often but Spearing getting game time has done it.

Saw that people thought Spearing would start for us due to this injury crisis....

What are they smoking over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kessie could a free agent if Barca can't register him befroe Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Didnt realise he is that fast. Gotta say, haaland passed the eye test at least, he looked very quick scoring his 2nd for city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Klopp would send us out with 10 men before letting Spearing tog out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spearing won't play with the senior team. He probably won't even train with them I'd harbour a guess that all that noise is from the very vocal anti FSG lads on twitter who just want to complain about anything and this is a new reason to complain and stick the knife into FSG. They'll probably jump straight into the 'Spearing is gonna start against Man City now' shouts. I don't know if he ever ventured these parts before but Corballred on twitter would he one of those.

Klopp is more likely to play a younger player who is integrated with the first team squad, like Bajcetic. Bajcetic signed a new contract today too, so the club must rate him. Klopp did the same last year when he started Morton against Spurs.

Trent started in midfield alright a few years ago, against Chelsea. Was 4 years ago at this stage. But I don't think Klopp is inclined to do it again. I'd say he is more likely to go 4-2-3-1 if numbers are extremely low in midfield.

Back page of the portuguese paper this evening

Liverpool prepare ?

I see €45m that wouldn't be a bad price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Is he any good?

A lot of people definitely rate him, I'm sure there is a welcome to Liverpool compilation already on YouTube :

Because of course there is...

He's the best player to ever play the game as far as I'm concerned...

Better than Pele and Messi combined

And of course I know zero about the Portuguese league...

🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sounds more like sporting putting out a rumour to generate interest

A lot saying Pep is a huge admirer of him and has publicly said how good he was so apparently more a chance now he could go to City if Bernardo is off....

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

He signed a 5 yr contract in Oct 2020 making him their best paid player. Doubt they want to lose him considering they are in Champions League this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Just on this, it's changed to an under 21 league this year with 5 overage players allowed to play to cover the transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't know the first thing about him but he's probably the greatest player to ever live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

If Trent was seen as a midfield option he'd have played there at some point but he's not had a minute of time in midfield under Klopp.

When he first got minutes as a 17 year old, it was in midfield. He also played on the right of the diamond midfield for a few games in the 2017/18 season - Clyne/Gomez were the fullback options at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I wonder would sporting swap him for spearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Contact doesnt equal insta foul and pen. Imagine that had happened outside the box, doubt it would have been even looked at tbh but then again Mitro probably wouldnt have bothered diving just for a free kick. Remember it is still a contact sport, just about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't really have a problem with that pen - think most of us would be asking for it if it was our player in attack. Ultimately if you stick a leg out across a player in the box and don't get the ball at all, you're asking for trouble. Any contact at all (which their definitely was) is very likely to lead to a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Of course we'd be asking for it m, because that's the way the game is now.

My view is that it shouldn't be a foul in the first place, as contact was minimal, and not enough to send a player to the ground, or upset his forward (towards the goal) trajectory.

Edit: so no problem with it being given. Just would prefer if the game hadn't evolved to this.

Post edited by SM01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

It was nailed on. Salah has won countless pens due to the same amount of contact and it isnt even debated.

It was clumsy from VVD. Not the end of the world. The best defender in football is entitled to a minor mishap every now and again also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He would have dived for a free kick considering the fact that he did dive for one late on when Trent put his hand on his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I feel like ive fallen into the trap of only posting when I've something negative to say recently... nonetheless...I'm not really as sold on Elliott as other are.

Iv the same outlook on Elliott, i haven't seen anything that blows me away yet, but i do think with the amount of hype surely all the coaching staff cant be wrong,

Still great news maybe one day he'll be a B.Silva type of player

I think Carvalho looks like he may have a higher ceiling ,

I'm the opposite, I think Elliot has been fantastic for us. I feel like some people are expecting Elliot to be next coming of Gerrard such is expectations. And he may have that in him but what people have to realise his role is a much more restricted, conservative than the all action attacking midfielder that he could be. Klopp doesn't expect or allow for that from his midfield trio, his role is to the basics but do them very very well...that is harass the opposition when not on the ball and get it back s quickly as possible, create space for the front 3 and Trent's on his side with short, quick movements and passes. It's a highly disciplined role that not many 19 years can do because they still have that immature glory streak in them (look at Jones at times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Harvey Elliott’s best quality is actually the very thing that makes him go unnoticed and look unspectacular to anyone not paying full attention to him. His decision making is probably the very best in Europe for his age, which is often the last thing a top player develops.

That makes him go under the radar because we have a team full of elite decision makers, it’s the standard at Liverpool these days and when Elliott plays, he just slots in seamlessly. Nothing flashy, nothing you’d put into a stupid YouTube compilation, just clever football but also with plenty of ability and finesse.

If he was born ten years earlier and signed for us at the same age, he’d have been hyped twice as much as the likes of Sterling because he’d have stood out so much more in a poorer team.

It’s almost impossible in football to guarantee any young player is going to be a success, but given what Elliott currently is as a player, he’s the closest thing you can get to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I have a lot of time for Ellitott. I thought last year was really going to be a big year for him but the injury came at a very bad time. He was beginning to get game time most weeks and he was only getting better. You can see the skills he has but the intellect he applies in the decision making is seriously good. I think he can be a fantastic player that will only develop his further talents with time. He is still very young but has taken to first team football a lot better than others his age. He will only get better with age hopefully, a class player in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Van Dijk has a high centre of gravity. You never see him tackle by going to ground and sliding in because, usually, he has no need to. His pace and good positioning are enough to get the better of attackers. In the penalty incident with Mitrovic though his body position was wrong and he was unable to challenge by sliding in and getting the ball which was what he should have done. Matip, Konate and Gomez are capable of doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Lads it was a stonewall penalty i don't know why there's so much chatter about it. VD messed up and even moreso when you consider trent was back there too. Fulham deserved the point (maybe even more) Liverpool played terribly for most of the game. We go again.

ps have we signed a midfielder yet? 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It was a clear cut penalty. I have no idea why it is being discussed.

Great having an actual fan in the team though to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A less cynical person would think nothing of the timing that announcement...

I’d say his contract extension wasn’t priority and they are getting around to it now that most of the more urgent ones are sorted. But ya, might quell the calls for reinforcements, but I still think another body is needed for the midfield.

If Phillps leaves they will need to bring in a homegrown player so that might a reason to keep him around for a bit.

Elliott, Jones & Carvalho are all under 21's so they don't have to be included in the 25 man premier league squad..

There is still 3 spots for non home grown players in the 25 man premier league squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Do they have to bring in another HG player, or just have a panel of 24? If I read it right, it's a max of 17 non HG players per squad, is that correct, in a 25 man squad. Is it also correct that Scots are not classed as homegrown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Homegrown really means 'association grown'. Nationality doesn't matter, you just have to have developed with someone within your own football pyramid (so SPL/SFA grown players wouldn't count).

And yeah, we'll just not fill all our spots most likely... we actively use so many kids that it doesn't really matter. Same as with the 4 club-grown spots in the CL that have seen has be a man short in that squad too, with only Gomez, Kelleher, and Trent.

Advertisement