Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am going to do the Cert in Accounting and Payroll in AIT. Applicaiton date was a few hours before you enquired about courses though. I've done a Cert in AIT before and the content was just okay but I did get 60 credits from it and will(all going well) also get 60 credits from this Cert starting in September. Also, and I know it's too late for you, but the course is 100% remote.

I did a post grad in cyber security last year and I'm now a month in a job in that field. Couldn't have done it without Springboard. It really is a fantastic initiative. If you are thinking about doing it, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

Started my first Springboard course in 2012! Got my foot in the door of a TelComms company a couple of months after graduating and I'm still there now. Graduated from a 1 year part time Springboard course in 2021 also. It really is a great initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Mind me asking through which college and if you'd recommend it? I applied for GMIT last year and when they actually ran it they did it on a Tuesday Day, Wednesday Day and Friday Morning so it wasn't suitbable for people in employment despite it saying it was.

It was this one https://www.ncirl.ie/Courses/NCI-Course-Details/course/PGDCYBE

I recall it ran Monday and Wednesday night for 3-4 hours, and some Friday nights, and some Saturdays (sometimes 9-5). It was ideal for someone working a normal job. I recommend it for €700 that I paid through springboard but it's not worth €7000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Has anyone taken any of the UX courses?

The 2-year online Interaction Design program from DCU looks interesting on paper. Anyone have experience with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Just a quick question. The college are asking for a bill that must be dated after the 3rd of August for proof of address, they won't accept anything before this. Did everyone have to do this? Springboard just says a recent utility bill but doesn't say the date. My bills are issued at the end of ever month.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Beagslife

I'd send a copy of the most recent bill and add a note to say you will forward the next bill once it arrives. It's really just to prove that you are resident in Ireland/EU and entitled to be on the Springboard programme. They seem to be using very little common sense.

That is risky because I got an email from AIT(to all applicants) stating that our Payslips(amongst other documents) likely haven't been generated yet because they cannot be dated earlier than the 3rd August so a letter from your employer would have to do and if you don't have it uploaded then you run a risk. Example for AIT, proof of address can be a letter also from your Employer. Cut of date the 15th August.

"If you do make an error, we will contact you but in that instance you may have a very short turnaround to upload the correct documents. Please be aware that places on all programmes are limited and will be filled on first come basis, based on correct documentation."

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Primary teacher, want to move into a role in business/IT, that allows for progression opportunities/high pay. I completed the Business Leadership course through AIT via Springboard last year, but nothing came from it. Can anyone recommend courses they have completed that lead to jobs? I am looking at the Software Development/Science in Computing courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

With the transition to online learning they are now making sure people are actually living in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

ACCA is a good course, think I saw it on springboard, possibly through AIT too. It's accountancy but a good business degree and it's highly thought of, you'll start on nice wedge too once qualified. You may forget the teaching hours/holidays though 🤣

Was that the course you did the executive management one? Starting that this year. Any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was surprised to see that some courses are open for people over 50 and in work. I signed up for the Prince2 Foundations (project management) online course which includes an examination voucher as well. Buying that would have been over €1000. I'm delighted as project management is an area i'd love to get into.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭chases0102

Can anyone in education recommend any Springboard courses that has helped their career? Or even, encouraged them to transfer into another industry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I didn't find it too tough but I have 6+ years of experience in IT already. It was time consuming. The assignments were long enough with a lot of writing. But given that it was peak covid, there were massive assignments instead of exams which frankly I preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hey, have you got a link to that course?

Does anyone have any experience with ATU Donegal ?

I'm eyeballing either one of these courses and I'm torn:

Postgraduate Diploma in Computing in Cybersecurity – Level 9

Postgraduate Diploma in Computing in DevOps – Level 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Gotcha thanks, were you working in Cyber already? Or what area of IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

I did the Cybersecurity course in ATU (well, it was LYIT at the time). I enjoyed it, but it was challenging at times - a lot easier if you have programming experience (or inclination). Almost all continuous assessment so project work and assignments instead of traditional end-of-term exams. We had 2 evenings of live lectures a week, no weekends. Lectures were recorded and available to watch back.

Like many TU courses, it's quite practical in nature, so a lot of hands-on work. I'd reecommend the course but with a caveat that if you have no IT experience at all, the content will be challenging.

No wasn't working in cyber. Had mostly DevOps and software dev experience. Bored to tears by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Quick question.

I was accepted onto a cloud computing course in Tallaght, sent all the paperwork in but not heard anything else from them since. And its supposed to start in the middle of September, is this the same with everyone else? Think it maybe a case on contacting the college, but just wanted to see if others are in the same boat?

Thanks in advance

Lardarse, go to your account on www.springboardcourses.ie and see what the status says. Maybe it says "Enrolled" like mine does. My cut off date for submission of documents was the 15th August and about 2 days they sent more information about induction and some IT things to do(It was AIT/TUS not Tallaght though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Thanks Berty for the info. Just off the phone to Tallaght, thye said all should be grand, they are just abit late sending out the enrollment documents. Now to get into learning mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Come here. I got accepted to a course but I'm trying to upload all the documentation to prove I'm a resident and employed etc. etc.

Whereabouts do I do this on the portal?

Do I have to accept the offer first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gyre22

Im thinking about brushing up on some programming for this course. Which programming languages would you recommend looking at? I see there are a couple of modules with software development elements. Also, any context would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

I saw that springboard does some NFQ level 9 courses in IT. I'm wondering if people have gone on to do further study/ or even start PhDs after the springboard courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Stupify

Contacted Springboard about a course in UL and they told me it was entirely flexible and online so I applied, was accepted and paid my fees. Now after finding out today that half the modules are face to face only.

What recourse do I have here? Do you think I cant get my fees back and will I still be eligible for future Springboard courses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

I am interested in a course and similar experience. It said it was blended and now most modules are face-to-face. While I do prefer in-person classes, I was planning to do this course as it was blended as it suited my schedule more.

It seems that nothing really was learned from the pandemic and now it's back to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

Going by the information provided, you were misled when you "purchased" this service so you should be entitled to your money back.

You can explain this to the Springboard team and they should be able to cancel your application, allowing you to apply for another course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Yes, I think progression is encouraged in many of the level 9 PostGrad Dip courses, especially if you're getting good results in the taught modules. The only difference I've seen between a PGDip and an MSc is the dissertation - although Springboard don't cover the dissertation fees (as far as I know) so that will require a chunk of cash.

I'm not sure if you can aim straight for a PhD, it may be recommended to do an MSc first.

Advertisement