Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Thank you,

Just to be clear, the Boards guide is a price that has already had the €2400 grant subtracted?

The quotes I listed from a contractor above have the grant (possible €2400) subtracted.

So for a 'like for like' comparison with the Boards guide:

• Or €1.2k per 1kwp + €550 = €8350 is the price I compare to the contractor's quote when the contractor is subtracting the grant.
    • €1.2k per 1kwp + €550 = €8350 + Grant = €10,750 is the price I would compare to the overall quote from contractor.

For example, the first figure I list is €8950 which I should compare to the €8350 as a rough guide.

In which case the contractor is roughly priced 'right'.

If this is the right interpretation...happy days :)

Thanks again,

Peter

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is correct , both those quotes are solidly in the right "ballpark" based on everything I've read in this thread to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, one of the better quotes that we've seen lately. Remember the formula is only a guidline. It tends to be easier to match the formula for larger systems and more difficult for smaller ones.

If your happy with the supplier, I think you could be onto a winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is the grant tied to the MPRN?

I know someone doing a rebuild due to the Mica issue. So it'll be built post 2021, but it'll have the same MPRN.

So would they qualify for the grant?

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Advertisement

Yes it's tied to the mprn and when it was first connected. They shouldn't have a new mprn..

Not sure what the method is for disconnection though so it can be knocked down..

If the connection is moved instead of disconnected.. just something to think about, having power at the site would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Anyone know where i can purchase 16 tigo optimisers? My installer is still waiting on his order to arrive. Looks like it will be September at the earliest again he receives them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

I know which installer you mean, he is having trouble like all installers finding stock of just about everything lately. You could try some EU sellers but I would imagine it's the same story with demand out doing supply. Keep looking though you might get lucky.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've got the name of a few suppliers in the UK. I'm going to call them early tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

If your installer is NI based and you find what you are looking for, get them sent there to avoid duties. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So I got a quote for 14 340w panels (4.8wp), EDDI and 5.1kwh battery for €11,300 before the grant. €8,900 after grant.

Given the existing panels I asked for another quote for 10 panels (3.4wp), the same 5.1kwh battery and no EDDI. That’s come in at €10,500 before the grant. €8,100 after.

Surely the 4 less panels and no EDDI should equate to more than a saving of €800?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I got a quote for a similar system this week:

4.1kw (10 panels) + Solis hybrid inverter + Eddi+ 5.1kw battery. 9k after grant.

There is less grant too when you go under 4kwp too.

The quotes have the grant amount as the same (€2,400) for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I got very similar quotes to yourselves..possibly from the same Enniskillen based company ?

4.1kw panels

5kw battery

Eddie

Inverter

€8,900.

Ive paid a deposit and hoping to have the system fitted in Nov/Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cyloncity

Apologies for going off topic a little...

I wonder are your solar tubes working as they should. We are in a similar setup and have thermal solar panels for hot water. On front of the hot water tank is an air to water heater type unit which works when the heat is not available from the tubes. As we are not long here I assumed the unit wasn't doing much but now I'm not so sure. It seems to kick in more often than I thought. We also have a ground source heat pump and are racking up 18k units a year. The house is not brilliantly insulated so I'm sure that's part of the problem but now I'm wondering if the solar tubes are not as effective as they should be.

In the absence of sun, how are you getting hot water? Perhaps this might be the issue or part of it.

It's, €900 per kWp up to 2kWp. €1800 for 2kWp solar panels ; €300 for every additional kWp up to 4kWp

It's 150 ish less of a grant but point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Anyone know if I need to have a grant offer before paying a deposit? I'm ready to pull the trigger!

Pick your installer then apply for the grant so it is in place before you pay a deposit, it gets approved in a few days so not much of a wait to be safe. Make sure you intend going with the installer you put on the grant form, I'm not sure if it's much hassle to change installer information after you submit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Out of interest what were you told for installation month?

Haven’t been yet. Just gotten the quotes for now. Have reverted with a couple of questions but will prob ask tomorrow what the timelines would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

You'll need a brand new application plus time to wait to cancel the original one. Recently been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Hi, I’ve turned the heatpump (Daiken 14kw 11 years old) water storage off for the last week or so to check the solar thermal tubes are working. They’re heating a 300litre tank to 60 degrees top and bottom, so working but conditions are perfect.

The heat pump generally heats hot water at night heating the top of the tank to 70 degrees but as I haven’t been monitoring it it difficult to say the units required to take a cold ish tank up to 70. Once the weather changes I’ll check.

I’m waiting on an eco eye 600 to be delivered (stock issues) but have worked out my daily average usage with us in the house for the past week as 9 day time units and 4 night time. The reason for the higher day time is most likely some large pumps we have for water and just general living (washing machine etc running at night).

Regardless the Pv install would seem to make a lot of sense for people in our situation.

Pretty much decided on a 7.4kw jinko panel system with 6kw inverter and 10kw dyness batteries no Eddie (yet anyway). I’ve had a good few quotes now from some of the popular companies on here and they are all coming in around approximately the same with similar generation predictions of 5k to 5.6k annually. This makes a very big dent in our bill at 0.3c a kw and prices going up. Payback should be about €1600 a year we hope without factoring a winter battery benefit.

hope I’m right 😅.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

A). You will maybe only consume 60% of that generation. 70% at best I reckon.

B) Not all units replaced by Solar will be daytime units.

So maybe savings more like €800

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Grant approval all sorted and deposit just paid.

6.9kwp JA system

Solis 6kw hybrid invertor with wifi dongle

5kwh Pure Drive battery

Eddie and BER included along with roof kit, check meter, isolators etc.

€11,500 after grant. Okay I think?

70C - is that not a bit high for a heat pump? Could that be part of the problem with your heavy usage? Most heat pumps will do 55C maybe 60C and then any higher temperature over that (unless it's a split phase system) is normally heated by conductive methods, i.e. an electric heating element. However, while I'm pretty clued in on the solar/electric side of things - I have to profess my knowledge of heat pumps is poor.

If I was you, I'd lower the hot water target in the heat pump down to 55C (or 60C at a push). 55C is still plenty warm for a shower as in you'd find it uncomfortable warm if you didn't mix cold water in with it. Take a note of your usage for a week and average it out

I think your right not going for an Eddi - least not for now. But yeah like championc mentioned, don't forget that you won't reap all that at day rates, although I'd probably ballpark it a little higher. maybe €1100-1200

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I just got a remdiner from the SEAI that I have an approved grant applciation for battery storage that will expire in three months. I have an existing 2.5kWp system (can't fit any more panels).

What is the consensus regarding the economics of grant aided battery storage currently? I'd be looking for either something small to tide me over the peak period when we eventually get forced onto smart meters and possibly considering 10kWh of DIY storage so soak up my excess.

Anyone know what kind of prices are floating aroudn for battery add ons or whether anyone is even interested in this with how busy they are?

• Advertisement

I assume you have a hybrid inverter mate? With the FIT being reasonably generous, I'd probably say 2.5Kwhr battery max. You have a grant so your economics could make it work, but you'll probably struggle to fill a larger one from solar with 2.5Kwp. Sure you could go for a 5Kwhr, and use it as you mentioned a way to get the off peak rates for daytime/peak usage, but i guess that would depend on your consumption profile more than anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement