Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

@leahyl The pics really are handy there, thanks for adding, wish every poster did that!

Is that hollandaise on poachies in your pic? I'm a bit of fusspot about hollandaise being real (egg yolks with butter etc) and not the fake thing some places do with heating mayo and stirring mustard in or buying bottled imitation hollandaise. Doesn't look the right colour to be the real deal, but could be light in your pic. I'd forgive frozen chips, bottled OJ and pale toast, all are grand for me, fake sauce is my line. What did you think, real deal?

What is that white layer layered into the brownie in the second pic? Or was it just packed with something creamy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think the Hollandaise is the real deal, it tasted pretty good to me anyway! It doesn’t strike me as the place that would do “fake” Hollandaise. I didn’t even know places did what you said :-O - maybe I just like the fake one :-D

the brownie has milkybar through it so it’s white chocolate - it was sooo good

just to add about the Hollandaise, Liberty Grill Hollandaise is light in colour but that is most definitely the real deal. I got eggs Benedict in San Francisco before and the sauce was yellow and gloopy and was the most synthetic, disgusting thing I’d ever had lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Also i went to black rock Sunday market yesterday.

The sultan stall is a complete rip off. €11 for a wrap. I got a "Tunisian chicken skewers" thinking it was going to be actual skewers with some salad and bread etc. It was just a miserable wrap, and a tiny one at that. For €11. The "mixed salad" was just a country veg mix. Carrots, peas, corn... Didn't feel like i was eating Tunisian cuisine.

Probably the biggest ripoff I've ever had at any farmers market. Stay away from Sultan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I'd agree about their hollandaise, but again I just know if i like the taste rather than if i know its fresh or not. I've had most of their egg dishes and i like the libre eggs with chorizo and harrisa

And I make dedicated trips for their kinder bueno brownies. Love them.

Their pancakes covered in stuff are a bit much for me though, more of a dessert/cake than a brekkie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe it's just me, but when someone posts a pic of food they've had and how delicious they thought it was, it seems extremely rude for another poster to pick apart the dish finding several faults with it.

"I can forgive the......." Seriously?

• Advertisement

Ooh, Milkybar, nice!

Cool, will check it out.

I'm not sure on Liberty grill tbh, the place next door (spitjack?) does a hollandaise too and I think I prefer it. SF is the same as anywhere else, some places do it well and some don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Their Marina Market stall is okay, I have their kebab wrap every so often which is a pretty decent feed. Their restaurant is probably the only decent shisha place in Cork and did BYOB last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

The Marina Market has gotten very very expensive now. It's really put me off. No Sin have upped the price of their smoothie bowls from €5.50 to €6.50 to €7.50 and now they're €9.50 for a regular. The large is more expensive. All of these price increases have occurred over the past 16 months or so.

They can blame inflation all they want but the fact is that many people surely can't justify spending that much money on a simple smoothie bowl. I certainly won't anymore anyway. Big pity because they were a great option in there.

Cheap and mid priced food has gone up a lot over the last 2 years. What was €8 or €9 a couple of years ago is €12 or €13 now. It's everywhere, not just MM

Higher end restaurants don't seem to have increased much as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The pink coffee place out the front was charging €4 for a flat white. That's daylight robbery. Cork Coffee Roasters were charging €3.30 for a flat white with oat milk and I thought it was astronomical when they pushed it up to €3.60 recently, so I was really shocked to see €4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I was at the food truck gathering in Wilton at lunch time & got some grub from Spice Genie, very good I must say. Not surprised he won food truck of the year. €10 for a good amount of lunch also.

The person I was meeting was telling me how the Anglers Rest wasn't great for Sunday lunch as he took his parents there & the different orders arrived ~10 mins aparts with some having hot meat with cold spuds & veg. At least they admitted the mistake & didn't charge for the people who got the cold food. He did say it looks great there however!

New cafe on Popes Quay, see "new businesses" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've heard poor reports from the Anglers lately, which is a shame with their setting. However, I've no time for places that offer free food and endless drink to local 'celebrity' influencers just so they are included in their media pages.

What's did you get from Spice Genie? They do indian is it?

Went to Gabriel House for brunch today and it was delicious! Had eggs Benedict and was probably one of the tastiest I’ve had. We sat out the back overlooking the city - absolutely beautiful day of course! They have hens and a greenhouse out the back also. Thought it was good value at 12.50, we had cornflakes also, could have had the usual yogurt, fruit, pastries, bread as well. They had the full Irish, mini Irish, omelette, pancakes, scrambled eggs on the menu also. Looking forward to going back!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I had never heard of Gabriel House. Looks lovely @leahyl

It’s a guesthouse and they’ve only recently started doing breakfast/brunch for non-residents, as far as I know! I would recommend! They serve until midday

Unreal find, looks fab. The chickens!

I had an eggs benny earlier this week (not Cork), and it was on a scone instead of a muffin or bread. It was surprisingly good. The muffins can be a bit slippery on the plate when cutting them, but a scone crumbled nicely. I know that breakfast probably doesnt need the extra calories of a scone vs english muffin, but I was happy to go all in there anyway.

Yeah, I don’t like the traditional muffin at all - I’ve only ever had eggs benny on a muffin once and the muffin wasn’t toasted…it was not good lol. I love when they use sourdough which they did in Gabriel House. They served a little of their own relish also, probably made using their tomatoes in the greenhouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Ive been a fan of Eco in Douglas for years, but went there recently and was really dissappointed

ordered steak medium to well done, got one that had hardly touched the grill, my wife eats rare, but she described mine as blue

They took it back and same steak returned 15 mins later...

enquired could I have fresh sides, but was told that would take a further 10 mins, so i let it go

Poor service overall, when i said it at bill time response was 'I will let the chef know'

On a side note, Bamboo next door has also changed ownership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

was just gonna say that..

@leahyl - looks and sounds fab.. I am on it like a bonnet.. v precious about my eggs as we have mate who rears his own hens.. and they are v happy hens if you know what I mean,.. so the bench mark is high

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The fish wife just announced its closing. Gutted, great chipper.

I read an article last month that fish shops are been battered (no pun intended) over costs and many will just not be viable anymore. Quality place like that would rather close than cut corners.

That's a shame. It's a pity they wouldn't try increasing prices first rather than cutting corners or closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Sad to hear it. Novecento gone on MacCurtain street too. We used to regularly drive in to both for takeaway but haven't been to either since they got rid of the parking on the street.

During the pandemic fish and chips takeaway prices went from around €8 to around €13. If costs have increased again, I'm not sure the customer would sustain it.

I did like The Fish Wife for a good while until I got some really not very fresh fish from them. When I contacted them about it, they read my messages and declined to reply.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Just back from a weekend in Bantry and had a great dinner in O Connors seafood restaurant. Fresh and substantial. Think it was €18 which to me was great value for money.

They are at about €13 now, how much are people going to pay for fish and chips from a takeaway?

Who knows, people do really like fish and chips.

I paid £17 for plaice and chips recently the UK in this place, that exchanges to around 20 euro. It's not something I have every week so another couple of euro just means we have it less frequently.

I wasn't long ago it was €8/9, if you effectively double it people are not going to buy. How many things will you pay double for that's aren't a necessity?

Commercial gas and electric prices are going to close down alot of these chippers in the next few months and there is just no sign of relief on the horizon so its pointless thinking you can hold on and absorb some of these costs in the short term.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know what you mean, inflation is mad alright. I'd still prefer the option to buy it less often for a higher price, than not have any more fish and chip at all. We've probably all seen post-pub customers handing over loads of money for food with beer hunger, they order one of everything on the menu and fall asleep on their face after half a bag of chips. :D Some people are counting the pennies, some people will pay anything for the salt fix!

Putting the price up 100% or more is what they are doing in the UK as far as I can see, some groceries, take-aways, loads of stuff. Loads of complaints and newspaper ink of course because they have brexit and a reliance on russian imports affecting them too, so their inflation is even worse than ours.

I know here it means the shops would need to pass on all those increases rather than crippling themselves. In fairness to them, we can see they are slow to do it. Personally, I'd support them staying open , and would pay more. But I'm sure it would be horrible to endure customer complaints about it too, I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of that either.

Advertisement