Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

I would take Sandler. But i fear the Ai will only give us people with Ryan in their name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or Chris.

Next step is for Hollywood forming a Genetics Department, to keep floating vats of gestating Ryan Reynolds / Chris Pratt hybrids, ready for deployment every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Good review that nicely sums up the good and the bad

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Drumpot

I think its kind of like Ripley in many ways who had to fight with more experienced warriors and experienced corporate people (who represent the culture) "have IQs just suddenly dropped while I was away?". Nobody takes Ripley seriously, which is a similar issue both woman have to overcome.

Thing is, though, is that Ripley isn't being confronted because of her sex or her position in a society. She's being confronted because her story interferes with Wayland-Yutani's business interests, which is a very different thing altogether. There's actually little to no sexual politics in the Alien trilogy, unlike a lot of modern movies where producers feel the need to "right" the "wrongs" of past Hollywood output by having women (or even just girls) do everything a man can do +1, especially in the area of physicality, where "strong female character" is usually interpreted as a female who is able to knock the shit out of guys that are twice their size and strength, which is insulting to basic logic whether one is female or male.

It's tiresome to see that trope constantly played out on its most basic, literal, terms all the time. Especially when it's all so completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Based on that reasoning no human should ever get the better of a predator.

• Advertisement

In alien 3 Ripley is a female survivor on a male prison planet, There’s definitely gender based tension, sure she nearly gets raped in one scene. She literally has to be saved by a male inmate only to win their confidence by proving what a badass she is by leading yet another clueless bunch of men to victory. You can look at it like that or just enjoy the ride (flawed as it was). One could look at the aliens franchise as a male bashing trilogy with maybe Hicks being the only positive male character in the entire franchise. Even the prequels have no decent male role models, but why would anybody want to make that a thing?

If you are making a movie that’s going to have a tribe and based on that time (or any historical based movie), how can you not acknowledge or present the gender issues in some form in a way that you think would be more natural or not a “trope”. Are you suggesting “strong female characters” can’t be good at fighting?

Was it actually possible for a Predator movie set in this time, where a female Indian would be the hero that you would of accepted? Is it that she actually physically faught the beast that annoyed you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They generally don't with physicality, even Arnie gets battered!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭al87987

Gina is at least 10 stone and was fighting at the top of the womens MMA game, she would batter the average dude.

But she didn’t over power the predator , she basically did what Dutch did in predator one and out manoeuvred it and manipulated it into a position to catch it out.

Dutch took a savage beating but she didn’t have to because she was seldom a threat to predator, there was usually something else distracted it and and she was so nimble. She was the only warrior the predator faced who had an actual decent plan and knew some of its weaknesses.

She could hide among bigger threats that kept the predator busy. As such she could learn the predators weakness. Small isn’t always a weakness. That to me was more relevant about the character, not just that she was a woman. Kind of like Kaiser Soze ( nobody saw the cripple as the threat) in the usual suspects.

I don't think that Ripley ever went unassisted hand-to-hand combat with an Xenomorph!

Meanwhile we have an 8 stone (if that) teenager going "mano-a-mano" against the predator who can casually overhead-press a 60 stone bear as it did earlier in the movie

It can overhead press a giant bear but somehow cannot casually crush a child's neck when it has them on the ground by the throat (as shown in the clip below)

The funniest part of this thread are the Comanche obsessives fretting over language authenticity with the above ridiculous happenings in the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I thought the premise for the movie had merit but the execution was flawed. I'd rate it second to the original Predator movie, but after the drivel that followed that's not a high bar. And sure, the cinematography deserves praise, but if that's one of the takeaways from a Predator movie I feel something else has been lost along the way.

There was a genuine attempt to show character development but it came across as ham-fisted. And there were too many silly/foolish contrivances. The axe on a rope, trying to solo a grizzly bear, magic herbs that chill the body, walking into a sink-hole and ploughing forward (rather than turning to the solid ground she literally just stepped off).

The Comanche skill with horse & bow is well known but wasn't used to any great effect in the movie. Surely it should have been the actual skills like these, along with the intimate knowledge they'd have of their own hunting grounds that should have played a greater role in defeating the creature.

But worst of all we had a Predator that didn't seem to understand how its own weapons/tech worked, and not once but multiple times within the movie. It literally shoots itself in the head, i mean ffs...

On a funnier note, I watched the Red Letter Media rundown of the movie on youtube (generally favourable) and they used the phrase "Mary Sioux" to lambast one of the one-star reviews. it made me laugh anyway.

In alien 3 Ripley is a female survivor on a male prison planet, There’s definitely gender based tension

Which is why I said "little to no sexual politics" is in the series. In 'Alien 3' she's on a planet full of criminals. Murders and rapists. There's "sexual politics" in that she's a female under threat from criminals, if you want to look at it that way. But that's not the same sexual politics that gets infused into modern movies. If 'Alien 3' was made today, Ripley would have had no bother whatsoever from the threat of rape from one of the inmates because she would have kicked them all around the place and not have needed the good fortune of Dillon coming to her rescue, because she got overpowered.

She literally has to be saved by a male inmate only to win their confidence by proving what a badass she is by leading yet another clueless bunch of men to victory.

She leads the inmates to victory because she has a certain and particular knowledge, though. Not because she's a SFC who can kick the shite out of blokes twice her size. Or even the alien for that matter.

If you are making a movie that’s going to have a tribe and based on that time (or any historical based movie), how can you not acknowledge or present the gender issues in some form in a way that you think would be more natural or not a “trope”. Are you suggesting “strong female characters” can’t be good at fighting?

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. I've merely replied pointing out the difference between Ellen Ripley's character and the "strong female character" trope of modern cinema. Ellen Ripley is just a relatively well written character. She doesn't need to knock ten shades out of a 200lb guy to be given the moniker. She's "strong" in that she's a convincing person in extraordinary circumstances who overcomes her predicament with a combination of guile, luck and help from other people. She doesn't just overcome her ordeals because of her sex and lazy writing which is, unfortunately, a symptom of many modern movies.

Was it actually possible for a Predator movie set in this time, where a female Indian would be the hero that you would of accepted? Is it that she actually physically faught the beast that annoyed you?

What makes you think that I didn't "accept" the film, or that the lead character physically fought was irksome to me? My point in reply to yours was that Naru and Ripley are very different and there's no real comparison to be made here, other than they are both females fighting an alien entity. But I have no problem with either character. The only time 'Prey' gets a bit silly is with the ease that Naru dispatches 5 or 6 blokes with an axe on a rope. Other than that, it was generally fine. 'Prey' is an OK film, but it's nothing more than that, even if it's miles ahead of other entries in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats a very fair and accurate review from the Drinker.

Like him I thought the Predators came in the hottest of summers, which certainly wasnt the case in Prey, but thats a minor point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ripley is the coolest toughest female lead in film history if you ask me.

The reason is everything she does feels real. As soon as the girl in prey took apart those trappers with knife work Blade would have been proud of, the emotional disconnection goes into overdrive and we veer in superhero territory, or kids movies as I like to call them 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Super hero movie territory is right. That retractable axe weapon is like something you see in a Marvel movie 😯

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hong Kong and Chinese action films have long been more egalitarian than Hollywood action films, while also knowing said films can feature anything from gravity-defying flights of absurdity to raw, gritty, bloody brawls depending on the needs and tone of the material.

Also, Michelle Yeoh rode a motorbike onto a moving train for Police Story III, so her place in the pantheon is guaranteed (and that’s not even counting the rest of her filmography).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Not all dinosaurs were cold blooded n apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its funny how something like Prey is being scolded for what it should or shouldn't portray in terms of action or violence ... and in the same 12 months we saw the internet go hog wild for RRR; a film from a country which has no interest in "realism", or anything resembling events that might have happened on planet earth. Maximalist cinema on cocaine.

Even superhero movies can be awfully staid in comparison; Western cinema seems inflexible and rooted in a weirdly dogmatic sense of what "action" should be.

So Ripley, a pilot with no military backround whatsoever :

• - has a snack with a person who has just had an alien on its face. All the more surprising after she didn’t want to let this person back on the ship for quarantine reasons and now she’s happy to sit down for a meal
    • - she knows the company she works for basically classified her crew as expendable and covered up the tragedy of alien. And yet she chooses to go back to the knightmare , trusting that they’d keep their word , because she’s having bad dreams and wants her old job back?
    • - she learns how to shoot and expertly use a pulse action gun over the course of a few minutes with hicks.
    • - is far better the marines at shooting them, in a brutally savage display destroying the queens lair
    • - is far far better then the marines at leading them into battle
    • - seems to have natural tactical acumen to at least strategically help plan a barricade
    • -she constantly outsmarts and out manoeuvres a lethal killing machine or a hoard of them on her own
    • - figures out Burkes plan to have her and newt impregnated as soon very quickly after he plots it

These are just the things I can think of , off the top of my head. There is no explanation as to why Ripley is so good at all these things other then just accepting she’s a natural leader that takes to things and enjoying the ride. These things “feeling natural” is because the story and characters around it are so much better written , not because it’s realistic.

I love those movies (aliens is probably my favourite of all time) and hate that I have to point this out. But I see the issues singled out in many movies are just not relevant if the movie or character is really good. It’s not what the character is doing (like being stupid or overly strong) so much as it is the world/story/characters etc built around them that’s the problem.

The character in prey killing people with an axe with a handle is more believable than Ripley been shown a few tips on how to use a gun and being able to single handedly destroy an aliens nest with said gun, while carrying a child. At least we know the character in prey literally lives for hunting, what did Ripley do that helped her master alien hunter?

I think it’s a nonsense argument to put down Ripley as the character is one of my favourite of all time. I’m just using it to show the folly of some of the reasoning to be negative against other characters.

Ripley feels rounded. She's hurt constantly throughout the trilogy and she has to find it in herself to bounce back. She's a "strong female character" in that sense. She can fire a weapon, not collapse into a quivering mess under stress and has a few brain cells to rub together in order to scrape through her ordeals. Ordeals which eventually kill her, it has to be said. She's a character one can get behind.

Naru is a decent lead, too, and there's only really one part of the movie that gets a bit too OTT, which is the part you mention. I find her neither to be a "Mary Sue" like Rey in the Star Wars sequels, nor do I think she jumps into the "Strong Female Character" trope too heavily either. Maybe if there's a sequel to 'Prey' we'll get more of Naru and see what happens. TBH, I don't really want a sequel to it though. It's fine as a one and done. But, then again, so was the very first movie.

When has Bollywood ever been a benchmark for anything approaching realism, physics or logic?

Also, who gives a fuck about realism in superhero movies? People arguing over the relative strengths and weaknesses of character with super powers is utterly absurd.

@Drumpot

So Ripley, a pilot with no military backround whatsoever :

She's not a pilot in any of the movies. She's an executive officer in 'Alien'. She's glorified admin.

- has a snack with a person who has just had an alien on its face. All the more surprising after she didn’t want to let this person back on the ship for quarantine reasons and now she’s happy to sit down for a meal

She has no say in any science decisions, as Dallas points out to her. Also, none of the crew are suspect of Kane's condition. He says he's fine and he looks fine too. Besides, they are going into suspended animation. They have no idea what to expect here.

- she knows the company she works for basically classified her crew as expendable and covered up the tragedy of alien. And yet she chooses to go back to the knightmare , trusting that they’d keep their word , because she’s having bad dreams and wants her old job back?

She explains her decision in the movie. It's going back to "destroy", not to "study", not to "bring back". Into the bargain, she's wracked with guilt and nightmares over her ordeal. Nightmares which probably won't be dealt with until she goes back to LV426.

- she learns how to shoot and expertly use a pulse action gun over the course of a few minutes with hicks.

It's not like she becomes a sniper or anything. She merely points the machine gun in the area she wants to fire in and pulls the trigger. You could do that.

- is far better the marines at shooting them, in a brutally savage display destroying the queens lair

She's, literally, on top of them in the egg chamber. She can't miss.

- is far far better then the marines at leading them into battle

No she's not. Her only military order is to tell them to "get out" when the shit hits the fan. Half the audience is saying that as well.

- seems to have natural tactical acumen to at least strategically help plan a barricade

So she has a few smarts? What's the problem? Besides the barricade proves to be a complete failure, because neither she or anyone else thinks about the ceiling.

-she constantly outsmarts and out manoeuvres a lethal killing machine or a hoard of them on her own

Largely through luck, good fortune and the reliance of her comrades, who mostly get whacked instead of her. But she isn't drop kicking them in the balls to show her "strength".

- figures out Burkes plan to have her and newt impregnated as soon very quickly after he plots it

She didn't need anything special to figure that one out.

In any case, none of the above is actually a counter to my reply to you, so I don't know what the point is here.

These are just the things I can think of , off the top of my head. There is no explanation as to why Ripley is so good at all these things other then just accepting she’s a natural leader that takes to things and enjoying the ride. These things “feeling natural” is because the story and characters around it are so much better written , not because it’s realistic.

Again, there's nothing here that is a response to the point that Ripley isn't a "Strong Female Character" trope in that she has to kick the crap out of the guys to qualify which is, all too often, the limit of that particular avenue.

I love those movies (aliens is probably my favourite of all time) and hate that I have to point this out.

You're pointing things out that nobody has said about the character though. Least of all me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think all the Predator movies have kind of done that though, leaned into the genre tropes of the day. Like, the first was pure 80s testosterone action, drawing from the likes of Rambo: First Blood 2 sort of world. The second was pure late 80s, early 90s city cop stuff, like Lethal Weapon - with that late 80s John Carpenter city horror aesthetic thrown in too (Big Trouble in Little China, They Live), and even Terminator. And this one does lean a bit more into the slick swift action that is expected by audiences now. I mean, this movie is firmly in the entertainment camp - it's not high art. And in that, I think it was a particularly good version of it.

There was a comment earlier about someone not really getting the love for Predator 2 - I have to say, I'd agree with that too. I wonder if some of the love for it is nostalgic, having seen it at the time? I saw it waaay after it came out, and, like, I thought it was fine. But in the series, it's in 4th place for me. Predator is first obviously, Prey and Predators are neck and neck - but i'd give the edge to Prey as a better constructed movie, and then a fair bit behind is Predator 2. (And obviously that other recent abomination is miles behind the lot of them).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched it tonight. A solid 3/5.

A bit disappointed they didn't come for it's body

I find your responses amusing but I’m not going to counter them as I love Ripley and the Aliens movies so would rather not delve deeper to pick the movies apart to make a point.

My point is that you can pick any movie apart , no matter how good and find significant flaws in characters and over the top luck. But these same flaws don’t get over looked in lessor quality movies.

The character in prey being physical, how is that a problem? I really don’t see it, why don’t you give them the same benefit of the doubt you are giving “lucky” ripley? You are very happy to explain away how an administrator can become an alien kicking machine , but you take issue with a female character getting into a physical fight with the foe. Doesn’t make sense at all to me but I guess that’s why movies are a subjective experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Don't you f$cking DARE besmirch Jurassic park or discovery channel!!! Lol

• Advertisement

I dunno D, I don't think you're actually reading my responses, or you're reading something into them that isn't there.

In any case, watch this...it pretty much coincides with my opinion on this movie.

Advertisement