Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Can't say I buy the love-in either. Rovers have already banked the guts of €5m in prize money, that's before any extra they make in merchandising, tv money, gate receipts, etc. With Rovers looking like they' win the league again this year, that's quite a high hurdle for anyone to compete against in 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

One could have also said the same about Dundalk when they were enjoying their period of dominance, the crucial difference from then being the creation of the Conference League. Realistically, the Conference group stages should now be the minimum requirement for LoI champions, albeit that the draw on dropping into the Europa phase won't always be as favourable as Shkupi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I do now. I was definitely a fan of CS Maritimo back in 2010 when they played the Fungus. Couldn't hack their filthy success at all.

Then again I am a fan of that sad bastard of a club in Drumcondra.

One of my favourite LOI memories in Europe that doesn't involve Shels is keeping abreast of Shams-Partizan during the speeches at a wedding. Some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would you prefer if they didn’t qualify? The ould begrudgery is alive and well.

It’s great news and hopefully they get in to a European Group stage every season so that eventually the coefficient goes up and other LOI teams will benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry if it seemed I was having a go. I wasn't. Sligo have been terrific in Europe. I just hope they get a result they deserve tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Equally excited and nervous about tomorrow night. Great opportunity for Pats, but could so easily all go wrong too. Fingers, toes, everything crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hearing some horrible rumours of the FAI trying to get Rovers group stage matches played in the Aviva.

Absolute no for me. Imagine how bad it'd be if we got drawn against a popular English team, and the stadium was full of more "away" fans than home.

All should be played in Tallaght with the away allocation in the north corner of the east stand, with the rest full of Rovers fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers have won 8 of their last 10 home European games so I'd say it'd take a game against a Man u or similar to move away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I remember these conversations coming up when Shams made the Europa League groups and Dundalk made the groups x 2.

Fact is, there's a ceiling for all LOI clubs when it comes to assembling a squad. Even with €5 million + in the bank are Shams going to be in a different market this winter to the one just passed? You would have to say no.

The money secures their future for the next couple of seasons and it'll help with the academy but they're not suddenly going to be going toe toe with league 1 teams in the transfer market, the next Mandroiu will still go to Lincoln.

Its also worth remembering the likes of Tallin, Lincoln Red imps, Riga... All have the same route as Shams and will fancy their chances of group stage football. It's not inconceivable that the LOI champion gets a stinker of a draw a few years in a row.

Then of course there's the natural progression of the league which tends to be cyclical. The likes of Derry have a bottomless pit of cash and may not even have started to stretch their muscle yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Hopefully this will give Rovers an extra incentive to win Friday.

Ruaidhrí Higgins has defended his decision to adopt a hardline approach in keeping Derry City’s fixture against Shamrock Rovers on Friday intact despite the Hoops’ ongoing European exploits.

Pleas by Rovers to postpone the game at the Ryan McBride Brandywell till Saturday or Sunday were rejected, with Candystripes boss Higgins preaching the importance of consistency for all the league’s European entrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Huge game for us tonight. CSKA surely can't be as average again as they looked last week. Need a big game from our defence. Don't want to call it but we can definitely go through if we play to our top levels.

Best of luck to Sligo also, while it looks impossible for them to turnaround that deficit hopefully they can at least win or draw the 90 minutes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

One of Dundalk’s greatest fears was they would draw Celtic and there would be more Celtic than Dundalk supporters at the game.Needn’t have worried. When Dundalk drew Legia there was thousands of Poles at the game. (And flares).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I have no problem with Derry doing this (but I'm not a Rovers supporter). It's Tuesday night to Friday and Rovers did fly into Dublin.

Derry are seeking to maximise their chance of three points on Friday by refusing. As are Rovers by looking for a delay.

It's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If Sligo win tonight and exit Europe do they get any points towards to league coefficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Long night ahead for Pats now.

1-0 CSKA

1-1 aggregate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not a great start.

Had to be diverted due to weather conditions, so ended up landing at Dublin instead.

• Advertisement

Pat’s are well in this game just need a bit more self belief

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You get more points for a champions league win,less for europa league. So I assume less (of equivalent) for conference. Rovers can do it.

Terrible goal to concede but it's still there for us. It's a pity our two best chances have fallen to O'Reilly who is an excellent ball winner but wouldn't be one of our better finishers. They're a lot better offensively this week but we can get at their defence.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pats still well in this. Regardless of the result they've given it a proper good rattle.

Pat's getting done by the ref...never a free in the build up for that pen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Pat's have been fairly dominant in the second half but haven't taken their chances. Always a danger of this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's a ridiculous free kick that allowed the ball into the box that lead to the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He ran into the Pats lad, ref should be demoted for that alone. Bought into the diving

Should be another chance here, Sofia hanging on

How wasn't that a red, looked an awful "Tackle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sofia really are no great shakes. Great opportunity spurned there by Pats

I think Basel will batter Sofia in the next round

• Advertisement

Pat's missed plenty of chances over both legs...but the goal that knocked them out was free a free that was never a free, referee was a bluffer and Sofia being a Bulgarian team...would raise some questions in my mind, especially judging by some of those referee decisions...not a Pats fan...Treaty fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We were due a classic LOI team shooting itself in the foot result as we hadn't had one in Europe this summer yet. Pats played well but CSKA weren't great from what I saw last week and the 2nd half tonight. Really unfortunate they couldn't get through.

The CSKA player handballed it first before it came off him onto Brockbank's arm. Was a terrible decision.

The UEFA report has De Noojier from CSKA and O'Reilly from Pats being sent off for whatever happened after the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Anyone know if away fans are forced to go through the creepy biometric procedure (vein matching) for European games at Ferencvaros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Of course he doesn't.

With his athletic ability, if he could actually play football Rovers wouldn't have loaned him to Pat's mid season.

Despite that, I still think you get more positive than negative out of him, but a very frustrating player no doubt.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

One of many terrible decisions from the ref, the free leading up to the penalty was even worse, he fell for every trick in the book from CSKA.

Sick after that, we should have gone through. Breslin missed such a great chance.

He's a lot better playing on the right than on the left where he normally played when he got game time for Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Have to say sligo played really well tonight, not sure how we got beat 5-1 first time out

ref was shocking, blatant penalty not awarded in first half (mind you prob would have missed that too)

why can’t we play like that every week

They didn't play with close to the same intensity as last week. They knew the tie was over already but I'm still happy we added another win to our record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Nah, I think with many smaller leagues, one team like BATE or Ludograts dominate, is due to dodgy ex Soviet owners coming in and investing in a team that previously struggled. In these countries, the former power like Dynamo Minsk or CSKA Sofia, can't get close to breaking that stranglehold. Shaktor and Dynamo in Ukraine another example, albeit more even. RB Salzburg had an investor.

The difference with the Irish league is the dearth of money, any sort of windfall is a huge difference, which isn't the case with the above, in terms of those clubs self sustainable ability to compete. TNS in Wales probably worse culprits than any of the ex Soviet countries of buying the league, how can Barry even hope to compete? Regardless of the reasons, we don't want a one team monopoly

Around Europe the ex powers can't compete because of huge money pumped in by individual. My point is, in Ireland this shouldn't be the case, as the divide wouldn't be the investor, purely the European purse. It can be controlled easier to keep the league competitive

Shocking stuff from CSKA.

Looking on TV, a lot of their supporters looked very rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

How Derry haven’t scored int his second half I don’t know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Some goal to win it at the Bowl. We're hanging in there. 7 points from 9 against Finn Harps could be massive come the end of the season. Honestly didn't think we'd be anywhere close at this stage without Whelan or Kerrigan.

Terrific performance from Drogheda. Bar the first 10 mins, we were the much better side.

Three super goals scored by players that played with Shels last season, Brennan and Rooney.

The game was stopped for a couple of minutes so that the Shels captain could appeal to his supporters to stop throwing objects onto the pitch.

At the end, Duff snubs Kevin Doherty's handshake and walks off the pitch. Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We bottled another big game in Waterford tonight thanks to JC and his bizarre, irrational decisions. Cork drop points and yet again we fail to capitalise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The Long loyalists are starting to turn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I never understand people getting worked up by the handshake thing. If the 2 of them have been at each other’s throats for the whole game or have some other gripe, who really cares that much if 1 doesn’t want to shake the others hand?

As if shaking the hand of someone you don’t have any time for is some weird badge of honour.

Doherty gets the 3 points and an infinitely superior performance to the one Duff’s team put on. I’m sure he will be just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought we had a great second half and really disappointed we didn't nick a goal.

Not sure what happened Rovers. Simply weren't at the races in the 2nd half. The Derry fan in me would say we didn't allow them to play and bossed the game, but perhaps there was an element of Euro jet lag?

Shame about the crap penalty in the 1st half. A win might have made the league very interesting.

But perhaps it isn't over just yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement