Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing smell of cigarette smoke from house.

• 11-08-2022 9:16pm

Hi,

We are about to purchase a second hand house, and went for a final walk-through of the house today. We were aware that it smelled of smoke (and cats, and dogs!) when we were buying it, but now I'm thinking about the practicalities of trying to get rid of the smell.

We are stripping all wallpaper, sanding and varnishing all floors, removing all carpet, painting ceilings, getting a commercial deep clean. Is there anything else that can be used above and beyond lots of sugar soap, scrubbing, steam cleaning, and fresh paint? I've read some things about ozone generators being used, but does anyone have experience of using them to remove odours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you're stripping walls, removing carpets and repainting then the smells will be definitely gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭topcat72

duplicate post removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm assuming the owners were still in situ during the walk through?

Cigarette smoke smells dissipate easily, i'd be more worried about the animals, but as above if you're stripping everything it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

get/hire an ozone machine!

The owner wasn't in situ, but only moved out last week so it's fairly recent. The smell of smoke isn't overpowering, but it was just a bit more apparent today now that the place was cleared out. I'm not too worried about the cat and dog smells - it's mostly confined to a spare room, and the previous place we bought was previously owned by a proper cat lady and we managed to get rid of the smell. Had a cat up until recently as well, so ok with the pet odours.

Ya, it's a full deep clean, and stripping all walls, fresh paint, sand and varnish, new wardrobe and kitchen doors.

• Advertisement

Have you any idea where you can rent an ozone machine, and, if you have, did you find it worked? Very different opinions on them from reading reviews.

Honestly, you don't need one. A clear out, a clean up and a painting and it'll be like a new home. Good luck with it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Look for a catalytic fragrance lamp. Whilst it won't totally solve the issues, they work great for cooking smells and cigarette smoke, mold spores and bacteria.

Their history goes back over 100 years.

Lampe Berger and Ashleigh & Burwood are the two main brands. Our lamp was about €50 with the fragrance bottle and herself uses it profusely (a little too much for my liking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Stripping and repainted will get rid of all odours along with a deep clean.

If the vendors moved out last week it's likely the windows haven't been opened and the current high temperatures will have intensified the smells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd want a 50% discount to buy a house where there was cats or dogs

I suppose if the deep clean and all new sofas etc gets it out might be alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zidac

Get a bag of onions and split in two so you can see the rings and leave around the house, this is supposed to draw unwanted smells from air...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Sugar soap wash all walls and ceilings before painting. Put baking soda in dishes around the house. This works the same way as the onions. Remove curtains and blinds that are there. If you want to use the blinds until you buy new ones fill the bath with washing powder and spray the blinds with domestos spray mould and mildew spray. Keep windows open wear gloves. Rinse and then hang out over the washing line or airers. This will get rid of smells and whiten them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Good luck with that!

@Abominable Dr. Phibes I had a similar situation with a property for myself & family... Stripping carpets & wallpapers, sanding floors & repainting will rid you of the smoke & pet damage. You're going above and beyond with a commercial clean. You'd need a forensic lab to detect any odours after the work you've currently engaged. Your house will be a new pin.

The only thing we felt needed attention after doing what you have planned was scrubbing the light switches and the door handles (& push areas) of the doors.

Congrats on the new house!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Air BnBs don't gut the place after every guest leaves. Once all the soft furnishings are removed - carpets, curtains, wallpaper etc., and the house cleaned the smells will be gone. No need for added expense on a house that will be renovated.

Cheers folks for all the advice. We are stripping the place from top-to-bottom, and also got advice from our painter that they use a primer/sealer on the drywall and plaster that will mask even the strongest of cigarette odours.

Little update here for those who might be interested. The smell is gone! No ozone machine required.

Ripped up all carpets, lots of sugar soap and very hot water on the wallpaper. We did buy a Kärcher steam cleaner which has already paid back its cost in terms of usefulness for removing wallpaper, cleaning tiles, floors etc . Fucked the blinds, carpets, molded dado rail 😣 etc into a skip.

New reality now is realising we need to skim/plaster the walls as the house is an early 50's model. My cousin is a painter/decorator, and suggested using Wallrock thermal lining paper instead, but I'd rather get the heavy duty work done while the place is a mess anyway.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement