Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Offaly gig probably suits them in that they won’t be competing directly with Tipp next year in league or championship. Even if they gained promotion in championship, it’s unlikely they would qualify out of Leinster & so still wouldn’t come up against their own county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

And, apparently, Johnny Kelly is part of the ticket too. That's a very good addition.

I don't think money would be the huge factor there. The lads are not short on money, far from it. Travel would be the big one. Particularly, for O'Shea. Salthill to Waterford? Yikes.

I think travel is a killer for Waterford. Unless it's a Waterford, Cork, South Tipp, or Kilkenny man.

I don't think I ever saw his name mentioned here... I don't why. Surely, Matty Kenny would have been worth talking to at least. The Waterford pick would be a lot better for a man of his talents... just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Apparently he was offered the job and had accepted it, after Derek finished up, but county board requirements for fund raising to be done by the manager became a stumbling block and he eventually walked away. Doubt either side would have another go at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

The Comers have been putting big money into Galway United the last number of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

John Fogarty will have a special seat in Davy's dressing room. Probably already working on a book and documentary.

Davy's Year with Waterford: Jesus Keeper, Where'd you get those Sweepers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

amazed he's back with us, lets hope he brings us more good days like vs Tipp in 2008 and that Munster win in 2010

Different times though and a lot has changed for both Waterford Hurling and Davy. Best of luck too him

Excited to see who's in the backroom team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

WLR just confirmed it via an article shared on their FB page.

Not what I'd hoped for, for 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Davy must be licking his lips already at the prospect of Clare coming to town ; to put one over on Brian Lohan, more so than beating Clare.

Had previous meetings with him on the line already with Wexford but get ya

Now who will be in the background team and will what players will he add to the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A big plus for Davy Fitz going for an interview is his fund raising ability. With no apparent Waterford GAA sugar daddy the county boards hands would be tied. Hence his appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Below is my first ever post here back in July 2011. As you can see from my username I had enough of Mr Fitz back then. Have we learned ?? Will it be different this time round ????

13-07-2011 2:50pm

This is my first time ever posting here. i would like to throw my two pence worth in. This post is regarding the hurling section of the county. Football problems and there is alot are for another day. I've seldom missed a championship, league, crystal league in the past 30 years. I been there from the 5-31 humilation in 82 to the utter shambles last sunday. From 98 to 07 we played with style and believe, we may have conceaded 3-16 but we would score 3-19. From 08 to now we have played negative hurling with crazy and insane game plans. To get one major game plan so wrong might be forgiven but then two and now three NO NOT ACCEPTABLE. I made a decision last year not to purchase my season ticket for this year and not go to any league match because senior management had proven to me that they were incapable of managing our hurlers. i reneged on that decision twice this year in the league and from the evidence i saw it just confirmed what i had already concluded. i would like to make three points:-

1. Positives

our underage structure is excellent. we are competing and winning in Tony Forristel and Munster Minor and u21. Great credit has to go to our coaches and the delevopement squad structure

2. Senior Management

What went on last sunday was a total shambles. Our players didn't deserve that. How can Management stand over that game plan. Mr Fitz's heading in the star the following morning "we'll see now what waterford are made off" .It's management who should have been alone in training the following morning. There is no point in dismissing Mr Fitz and his 25 backroom team now. Leave them finish out this campaign. We had Kelly Proper and Noel Hunt on the bench this year. Bernard Dunne the last two years. (you would have thought he should have went for Keith Barry) My only hope is that this management team hasn't done serious damage to our senior hurlers. The next manager has to be correctly picked so rushing it now is to no advantage.

3. County Board

The County Board has to take responsibility for what has gone on. They have allowed this management shambles to unfold under there watch. These are the guys that publicly endorsed Mr Fitz last year and then went on to interview 4 other canidates for the position (Turkeys/ Christmas here) Untill club delegates get the b-lls to tackle couny board this wont change.

Conclusion

We need to go down the Limerick route and appoint 5 independant individuals to get us a proper manager

To quote Miley (in Glenroe) ..... "well Holy God".

Who would have thought this would come to pass. Maybe, just maybe he will work some kind of magic. The backroom team will be key ; surprised to hear that this won't be finalised for some time.

[The anti Derek brigade won't mind this appointment].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The Short statement from the co board speaks volumes

they know the public mood on this but have gone and ratified him anyway.

They need to come out and explain the rationale behind the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Plenty of people happy to see him back.. Id take him over Derek or any of the other candidates that were on offer, which were thin on the line.. Time to get behind him and the team now..Up The Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

The only positive I can take from this is that it gives Molumphy another couple of years experience to learn the ins and outs of inter county management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The county board need to explain what exactly? And to whom do they need to explain?

I do think his profile will bring more people to games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Read my post again for question 1. The Waterford gaa public is the answer to q.2

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I know we were maybe short on top class options but I really didn't think the county board would go back to Davy. Not a very inspiring appointment, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MfMan

Obviously in light of Comers' investment in Waterford airport, Davy intends to commute by flying in from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Davy clearly thinks there is an All Ireland in this team and therefore he has an idea of how to beat Limerick.

he has surely learned a lot since his first stint and has tonnes of experience.

he will take no sh1t from players who think they should be calling the shots.

he would love to beat Lohan, the “big three” and Limerick. He would also love to be the man to end the Waterford wait for an all Ireland.

while I am glad he got it ahead of Derek McGrath I do still fear a more negative style of play.

mixed feelings about the whole Davy circus. It can be entertaining but also infuriating. Perhaps it helps take focus off the team.

anyway I think all Waterford supporters need to get behind Davy and all involved and look forward to 2023 with renewed hope.

up the Deise!

Would you come off it. You want the county board out on the steps of Walsh Park addressing the “gaa public” explaining their decision? That take is nothing short of embarrassing. Enough of the faux outrage please.

All I’m hearing is people saying Fitzgerald will set us back years. What exactly would he setting us back to? You’d swear we had a few All Irelands and the devil has come in to set fire to our illustrious recent history. Don’t forget he’s the last man to win a Munster championship with Waterford. I don’t give one toss what “style” he has Waterford playing if the man gets results. He had a very good record with Waterford no matter what way you slice it. Was there mistakes? Absolutely there was. 2009 Munster final was a disaster. 2011 Munster final was even worse. People are quick to knock his achievements with Waterford by saying “times have changed” or actually saying it was 10+ years ago. The same can be said about his failings. They’re in the past.

People must have fućk all else to be worrying about if this is what’s bothering them. One thing we can all be sure of is Fitzgerald will give it everything he has, if it’s not good enough then so what? Nobody has been good enough in 63 years so what’s another year or two so long as he tries his best? I’m not his biggest fan at all, I don’t like him but good luck to him for giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So back to the future we go. Hope it goes well but you can't see it happening and Davy is on the back foot to start as he nearly broke the coffers the first time around. Do I wish him well? Yes, it would be daft not to. However I wish the County Board would have shown some bit of imagination in the appointment process. We seem to bumble around the place with no plan and that's the real issue.

Davy will probably sit down at some stage with Aussie, for a chat over some lemonade and biscuits ; ahem, two 'fiery' characters .... how is that going to work out !

• Advertisement

Gleeson is big enough and bold enough to know who’s the boss now. Davy should be the right type of character get the best out of Gleeson. Whether he does or not is another story.

Advertisement