Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Including you.

As I said in another thread, if you were sincere you could begin a movement (e.g. a homesteading movement) and start growing your own food, weave your own clothes etc.

You would 'love' to force a lower standard of living on people but you have no practical interest in living a modest, sustainable lifestyle yourself either to set an example which might catch on and become popular or just for the goodness of it.

The climate change thing seems to be an excuse for an insipid form of anti-natalism. You can't or won't live in harmony with the earth, but you can remain childless. That's your choice but don't interfere with people who do want to start families.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

In practice people tend to treat the predictions of climate change as having no validity.

For instance, climate catastophe isn't priced into real estate at all.

The Irish Times runs a feature saying that Sandymount will be underwater in 10-20 years, but no bank refuses to lend money for a 30-year mortgage for a house in Sandymount.

What would happen if people really believed the things they said? Fewer people would want to live in coastal areas. Banks would not want to risk lending money to buyers in coastal areas. But that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even at that, leisure travel is only a subset of that. Reducing business travel and usage of private jets needs to be done before you start asking people not to go on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

I recently attended a workshop from a lecturer who was encouraging people to re-wild their gardens as a solution to solve global warming. I put my hand up and said: "The elephant in the room is surging global population and increasing competition for resources". I can understand why countries like China and India want to increase their living standards. They want to and are entitled to have a comfortable living environment. Access to clean water, food and shelter.. Those in more developed countries who want to commit to climate change, have to live more simply. Insulate our houses better. Smaller families. Reduce consumption. Repair or recycle rather than throw away. Government should ring-fence energy taxes to subsidize making homes more energy efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is something of a myth. A single scientific paper made a prediction based upon poor analysis and was quickly refuted. Unfortunately it was latched onto by a few news outlets and the rest is history. Meanwhile there was already a growing consensus that global warming was underway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Shoog

Which is the principle underlying the much criticized Carbon taxes. Carbon taxes are designed to be revenue neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭riddles

We enabled China and Russia by outsourcing production and energy supplies to both ignoring the fact they aspire to none of the values the EU sets out. We are paying the price now.

Globally the level of pollution is the core topic. The environmental impact is the symptom and it can be argued night and day from there. In Ireland we should have pristine beaches, rivers and lakes. That should be our number topic in my opinion and then work back from there. The sheer volume of pollution coming from China is something they need to deal with but we can influence that by phasing out trade with them at an EU level. The greens approach is to literally p1ss into the wind which is what infuriates most reasonable thinking people. Gas production in Russia emits massive amounts of methane as a by product which given their profit margins they couldn’t give a damn about. As painful as it is the quicker we stop giving money to these corrupt regimes the sooner we reduce their power.

The solution to reduced pollution is reduced consumption this has an impact on our economic balance and that is inescapable because we have engaged in platitudes and nonsense and not meaningful policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,396 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So, to put it into context, if humans are responsible for the 0.04% of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which is all of it (we aren’t), road transport is 0.00476% of this.

People really need to get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just watched itv news there. They had a scientists from a University and they said these periods go in cycles. There's 28 days without rain in the UK and in 1976 for example they went 40 days without rain.

Also said these extreme events go in cycles and are more linked to El Nino rather than climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Shhhhhh. Don't say that too loud' you will offend many around here.

They are clearly the wrong scientists. If they are not calling it as climate catastrophe caused by man, they are clearly cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

We aren't going to win the climate battle. Anyone thinking we will is lying to themselves. Ireland will in time become one of Europe's lifeboat nations as millions upon millions flee the intense heat and lack of water on the mainland. The smart ballsy guys like myself are buying land in elevated sites to leave as an investment for my family and grandkids as it become increasingly expensive and we need to build millions of homes and apartments for the coming herds of the displaced.

Excuse me white middle aged men not just any man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Is this ironic/sardonic...its hard to tell these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Oh no another hot day in the summer.

We’re doomed!!!

The Snowflakes are now in charge.

I think it’s sardonic at all. I think it’s an inevitability. I have a place and some land half way up a mountain in the west which I think will be a place that my family will be glad of in decades to come after I am gone

whether climate change is man made or not is increasingly an irrelevance. There will be mass migration from Africa, the Middle East and, in time, Southern Europe. What we see now will be a drop in the ocean and Ireland and Ireland won’t escape the influx.

most of us here will be gone. So maybe we all needn’t care. But our grandkids will have to deal with it.

Imagine actually buying a hill because your scared something might happen but you’re not sure and have no evidence of happening.

Bizzare.

This is insanity yet you lads swallow it hook line…

And the fact you think a mountain will save your grandkids from billions of people😃😃😃

that’s not why I bought the hill. I live on the hill, overlooking the sea. It’s altogether very pleasant

But thinking that there’s nothing coming down the road in terms of the movement of hundreds of millions of displaced people is insanity. A bizarre head-in-the-sand attitude

bit like I said, it’s not a problem that either you or I are going to have to deal with

And like I said if what you are saying is true, your hill won’t save your grandchildren.

You are wasting your time and life sitting at home worrying about some doomsday scenario that might never happen.

I can assure you Eamon Ryan definitely isn’t doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Ok

Where did I say I was worried? I don’t sit at home all concerned…..I just find the blind denials of some quite striking

the impact on Ireland will undoubtedly be increased immigration and substantial population growth, and there is a whole thread on multiculturalism, and the challenges that it’s posing.

For full disclosure though, I am involved in building out the climate related strategies for a large global financial institution, including divesting all coal related business by 2030, strategies to grow the renewables portfolio and the building of emissions targets and triggers into corporate bond issues. Which shows, incidentally, that this is much bigger than whether the Greens are in government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

yeah agree there will be a migration North and we need to get our heads around it,we can justify borders for economic migrants but not when where they currently live becomes effectively uninhabitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

If you zoom out at the world on Google maps you'll see over two thirds of the earth's land is desert. Look at Africa, Middle East, China, Australia, United States and South America. All these country's lands is desertifying.

Same with Spain, Portugal, parts of France Turkey etc

Its desertifying because there's no livestock on the land and whatever livestock is there is very poorly managed.

There all in feedlots. Sheds. Feed corn and silage.

There's nothing there to break the hard soil, eat the grasses before they oxidise, dung and urine on that ground to help fertilise the soil and grow again for the next year etc.

So when there's no grassland or trees or forest etc pulling that carbon out from the air or holding onto the water/moisture and putting it into plants to grow and subsequently carbon being stored in the soil,, we could get rid of every car, airplane, cow pig and sheep its not gonna make a blind bit of difference because the land will continue to desertification.

Until people in those country's start to do the unthinkable, and get livestock and millions more of them back on there lands and manage them properly, strip grazing and moving everyday keeping soil covered by there dung urine and trampling grasses etc humans have absolutely no chance of stopping climate change.

We in ireland have some of the best grassland farmers in the world and there knowledge is gonna be unbelievablely important to helping those country's restore there soil.

Hard uncovered soil is the same as concrete when rain hits it. Where does that water go? Straight away It all runs down to the nearest stream, river gully etc. Its gone. It isn't absorbed by the plants or soil and being retained and slowly flowing down to the rivers ponds eventually sea etc.

Ah so you have skin in the game of this climate nonsense.

Should have known that, disappointed I didn’t clock that one sooner

Basically you’re creaming it from putting fear into peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's not too late if we switch over to using green energy, solar, wind, or nuclear, more people cycle to work, put 15k tax on large cars, but the problem I see is russia, India, China, Brazil are governed by right wing fascist governments, who like the current system, global country's need to adopt greeny policy's, this is unlikely, talking about Banning petrol cars in 2030 is pointless , we have maybe 5 years left to fix this, every year it becomes hotter, less rainfall, at this rate we, ll run out of water, planting trees help as it provides more shade in city's one example the uk is becoming more like Spain in terms of summer temps, hot days,

Less air travel will help, holiday at home. The problem is we are all doomed if country's like India China Russia don't change their energy use policy's and really all crypto mining should be banned its simply a waste of energy and it puts up prices for other uses

I'm not optimistic, Politicans think in terms of 3 to 5 years, getting a pension, most are not concerned about global warming until they run out of water or its too hot to go outside

I dont disagree entirely but it struck me that that a hill or high ground wouldn't be a great buy as some sort of long term hedge against mass migration, hotter temperatures, less rainfall.......it has a lot of disadvantages if you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Might get you around the fabled sea rise but if that's the case your house will probably washed away due to runoff from above you or mudslides.

Good defensive position for when the mass influx comes to take your....nice view?.........thin potentially stony infertile soil, lack of water and shade and sparse vegetation?

• Advertisement

I just do my job. Whether I do it or not makes absolutely no difference to whether it is done, like all of us that work in white collar industries.

In case you haven’t realised by now, this climate agenda is not being driven by the Greens. It’s much much bigger than that. Bigger than government. I suggest you pick up the TCFD report from any bank, asset manager, or major corporate organisation and see what they are all committed to (and being held to by the shareholders) in terms of climate and sustainability (which includes biodiversity, plastics, poverty etc, not just climate). And I can tell you by working on this that it is real…..not just words on a page. And it’s the right thing so as to make a cleaner and more equitable world

voting out Eamonn Ryan will make no difference.

and like it or not, climate driven migration is on its way. Whether it’s created by humans is another debate and largely irrelevant here. Personally, as has been discussed on other threads, I think that it is climate driven mass migration that will lead to the break up of the EU, as countries fall out over distributing the numbers and there is pressure on borders

Advertisement