Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,770 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A very cogent case has been made against your federated 'solution blanch.

That you promote appeasement of Unionists as a 'genuine' solution shows exactly where you are at and the bed you will chose to lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some unknown belligerent exclusionary nationalist poster on here made a case against the federated solution, but now a respected figure out there in Andy Pollak has put it on the table, a man who both sides can at least respect.

Keep burying your head in the sand along with the other belligerents, and you will be left out of the real discussion.

It's always been hovering about. Jim Allister's final solution. It was repudiated when he suggested it and if you read the very erudite comments Andy is not having much luck with it either. Whiff of the dead horse of it now.

By all means break cover and put it out there come a border poll. Get the support for it and have it voted on. Nobody stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I see you've now added 'belligerent' to your undefined 'exclusionary nationalist' term. 

You on more than one occasion also used 'head counters'.

Can you clarify how on earth we are expected to get behind your 'solution' which involves ignoring the Irish, the British and in between, and the democratic process of 'head counting'?

It smacks of a desperate attempt to deny people equality and democracy, once again, because the numbers don't suit a minority.

Also what the hell is an 'exclusionary nationalist'?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's literally the roadmap to a UI.

Funny how Partitionists are getting miffed at the GFA now that a UI is possibly on the horizon. Sooner than they would have hoped.

You have @Count Dracula here starting that perhaps in 200 years it may be a goer and that partition in itself was some sort of solution, all the while ignoring that death and destruction caused by partition itself.

I'm sure you don't like the idea of 50%+1 and the removal of the Unionist veto while we are at it.

• Advertisement

If it's such a good idea, why isn't anyone out there campaigning for it? Lead the way blanch. You suggest it enough, you'd think you'd have a following for federation/confederation/condominium/independent NI at this point. (delete as appropriate to what one you feel the need to discuss this week)

Outside of you and Pollak and couple of other Unionists on Slugger, who's campaigning for this?

Why is the GFA so unpalatable to you now? Where's your condemnation of the DUP for denying the democracy of the North today for the 3rd time?

You know why it is unpalatable to him. It's for the same reason the DUP rejected it and still do despite looking for it to protect them. Partitionists never thought the day would come and are now looking to re-negociate by putting their weight behind 'perfect solutions' and calling anyone who disagrees 'exclusionary'.

The ABAUI = The Anything But A UI party, let's not put a tooth in it.

Let him answer for himself. I'd love to know why he finds the GFA unpalatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I recognise that Partition was a shambles, it led to nationalist subjugation which inevitably led to the troubles. It was a disaster.

I still think it is painful reality, I am a republican and I think that a United Ireland would be great for this country. I just don't feel that it is plausible overnight. Constitutionally it is technically attainable, but I cannot see how it would benefit the 6 counties.

The purpose of the GFA is and was to install a democratic process which all communities could cooperate with. It certainly was not a roadmap designed to destabilise either community. The provisions for a poll were lobbed in there to appease nationalists and show them a tangible light at the end of the tunnel, it gave them hope . It also specified that self determination could only be achieved with the approval of Westminster via the British Secretary of State. At the time unionist negotiators were more focussed on dragging their feet over decommissioning, they arguably dropped the ball on the poll, or maybe had no choice but to prioritise other sacrifices.

I wouldn't bother attempting to antagonise about what I do or don't want for the future of this country, I just want everyone living in a 32 county Ireland to be happy about it. I don't believe that it possible in my lifetime and I could not support madsers who are content with the possibility of future violence on this island, which will happen in the eventuality of a poll.

• Advertisement

The same elements which lead to the conflict/troubles won't be there in a UI. Once the OO and chums realise the party is over and equality is in, they'll have little to complain about.

Worst case for them is being in Ireland and getting treated no worse nor better than everyone else. I can't see support for violence.

As you say partition was a disaster and thanks to the DUP, their own worst enemy, its not functioning today. Ironically if they helped make NI workable it would stave off a UI for longer. Pissing off the natives of all persuasions is not going to help their cause.

Ner a peep from the usual loudmouths about the DUP blocking a working government, once again, showing how hypocritical and full of 'guff' they truly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Its incredible that after all FG's pandering to Unionists/Loyalists that they still made credible threats to him. And more incredible still that it was given very little mention in dublin media. Now why would that be.....

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/more-loyalist-graffiti-targets-varadkar-and-dup-as-tensions-rise-40038885.html

A second graffiti message targeting Leo Varadkar has appeared in south Belfast.

It comes after a loyalist threat to hang the Tanaiste was daubed on the wall of a convenience store on Drumart Square in Belvoir at the weekend.

The latest graffiti was written on the wall of a community building in Belvoir Drive and it appears to refer to the first message, which was titled 'An Ode to Leo Varadkar'.

The threatening poem, which was widely condemned and has since been painted over, had warned the former Taoiseach not to travel to Northern Ireland, saying: "Set foot in Ulster (sic), cross that line/We guarantee you will hang."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/liz-truss-brushes-off-concerns-about-88bn-black-hole-in-her-budget

yeah, where would she find £8.8Bn ?

Do unionists think she'd throw away a chance to be PM when she could cut the subvention instead ?

Its says a lot about unionism when it takes a crook like bertie to understand their position..

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/07/28/newton-emerson-bertie-ahern-understands-unionists-better-than-most/

Bertie has been coming out with all sorts of horseplop the last couple of years to look reasonable and statesman like before his run for the Áras. So of course he looks rosy to Unionists these days.

I guess that sums up a lot of politics in the republic.

FF & FG are the biggest cheerleaders for partition as a United Ireland would see SF in single party government.

It is a particularly 2 faced existence for FF who still brand themselves the 'republician party' yet they support partition 100% as the alternative would see them out of government for a generation at least.

FG too, they commend and eulogise michael collins at every opportunity. He was possibly the biggest terrorist this Island ever produced.

Yet they turn their back on everything that went down during the dirty war the brits unleashed from the 60's to 1998.

Don't forget that FG are "Fine Gael- The United Ireland Party".

They're already abandoning partition slowly but surely. Though, until this Shared Island crap is binned there's gonna be no progress.

Fine gael are about as much a "united island party" as they are a "law and order party".

In the inevitable United Island FG will have to merge with the DUP which will mean no more selfies for FG leaders under portraits of Republican terrorist Michael Collins.

Theres a reason the nonsensical shared island unit is under the taoiseach's dept. And close attention would want to be paid to how they spend that 500 million..

Plus michael martin appointing a bigot like ned o'sullivan to front it was a kick in the face to everything this Island should aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Christy42

A unified Ireland would likely split sinn féin. They would only be defined by economic and social policies. What is the point of a party whose main reason for existing is uniting an already united Ireland?

A large part of their success up the north is that sinn féin are not the DUP and are the main counter to them. Unionism would die and there would be no reason to counter vote. Plus PR means more voting for who you want and less voting against who you don't want.

The days of SF being a single issue party are long long gone.

You could ask, what is the point of any party if you wanted to, as well.

Can't see a UI splitting them to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

People aren't moving away from FF/FG because they've a tear in their eye about a united Ireland.

FF and FG made a great career out of not being the other. Talk about nothing to offer, now they are joined.

Sure but Sinn Féin have more old school support as well. I think the newbies would dominate the party given they were never close to this successful before but a small segment of the old heads would have the United Ireland as a core issue for them and would need to see where their priorities landed after that.

Nonsense.

If that was the case then you must think that a United Ireland would render fianna fail the self styled 'republican party' defunct also?

FF have already partnered up with the SDLP with an eye on the inevitable United Island.

That leaves FG having to continue cosying up to unionists and merging with one of them electorally and having to bury the image of republican terrorist michael collins. Which is an about turn but no problemo for FG who would sell their granny to keep their snouts as close to the trough as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Not sure Ireland was ever actually a unified state as such. Before English rule there was a division of kingdoms in Ireland which would have had a cultural unity, and of course there was the Brehon laws, But Ireland was not without its internal conflicts. If the north left the UK and became part of the Republic then it would be totally new territory as Ireland has never been politically unified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

But that is the inherent problem with Unionism, it has brainwashed itself into believing there was no cultural unity and that our indigenous Irish culture that has existed for over 6000 years doesn't matter or even has a right to exist. You may as well be dealing with people that believe the Earth is flat.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

FF haven't had Irish unity as a central policy in a long time (quite frankly I haven't really been sure what the party stands for at any point but that is another issue). If you want Irish unity as a core issue you vote SF, not FF.

I should say I don't think SF will collapse under this. As I said a large proportion of their current vote is relatively new southern for whom Sinn Féin are the socially left wing party as opposed to an Irish Unity (they are both but in terms of what is most important to those voters) and they will stay past a UI.

The unionist vote will be interesting. How out of touch is the dup truly I wonder? I mean fptp helps get them votes but a lot of Unionists do seem pretty good at holding their noses to vote for people who are entirely off the wall in terms of modern life. Can FG get them without tanking the vote from the Republic? Similar to Ff they have never seemed to have a particular stance I could nail down but will obviously do whatever they have to for votes as you say.

You were right when you said you were "not sure".

It's been a while since we've had that well-worn Partitionist trope of Ireland never being unified. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Ireland was politically united prior to the Act of Union (from 1783). It was disbanded because of 1798 Rebellion. Grattan's Parliament might ring a bell! The Parliament building (opposite Trinity College) is now owned by Bank of Ireland (or was up to recently).

And there was a High King of Ireland prior to English invasion. The last one was Roderic O Connor https://www.britannica.com/biography/Roderic-OConnor

• Advertisement

Yeah, we never set up a government recognised by the occupiers who wouldn't let us set up a government. A real 'gotcha'.

Advertisement