Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Wil admit thats an issue. Often spent a hour on a Saturday . Now where did i leave the socket set.... Now leave note in phone. But agree. Not practical for everything in workshop. But chainsaws and socket spanner easy to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ah Jesus! Was it a young fella or some older who should have known better?

Tree fell down. Brought 3 posts to fix fence. Needed 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

That ain't rooting....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do they have to do so much cursing. My type of fencing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I couldn’t stand that, but then we’ve had very little trouble with thefts.

while the workshop mightn’t always be tidy we do try and return everything there after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Where did the door of the Massey disappear to?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Neighbour was getting a round bale of hay out of the field today for his cattle. Baledin lovely weather and just left where it plopped out of the baler. Looked very heavy on the front of his tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭DBK1

We’ve one of them close to here too! He rang me around the 20th of October to mow his second cut silage. I’d to wait a day or 2 before going to him to give him time to move the hay baled in July out of the way first! He moved them all to one side of each field, so he has 2 bundles of hay in each field now, 2020’s hay and 2021’s! About 500 round bales in total and it’ll all rot there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You'd wonder what goes through lad's head's in those situations. Are they just totally useless or have they bigger issues holding them back?

A kind of an all round cattle man I'd know bought a post legged bull off a friend of mine a few year's ago. The bull was a kind of a dodge but that was the way he was sold and I think the deal was for €300. Fast forward a few weeks and the bull came up in conversation one day between the buyer and a group of others. He mentioned that he came out of the house one morning and saw the bull stretched out down the field and a few gray crows perched on him, it wouldn't take a vet to give a prognosis as to what the issue was there. Our man said he just turned around and went back into the house. That was his reaction to anything going wrong he just stayed in the house and ignored the issue. The mind is a strange thing and it's tragic how lad's get broken down over different stuff that wouldn't be the end of the world to someone else.

• Advertisement

It would make you wonder what goes on alright.

I told him I’d stack them in the shed for him and all if he brought them into the yard with the bale lifter. I told him I didn’t want anything for it and he didn’t even have to contact me, that when I’d be passing the road and see some of them in the yard I’d just pull in and whatever’s there id put them in. He still never even carried one into the yard and the fields are all around the yard.

The same man wouldn’t be short of a few pound but that wasn’t always the case. Things would have been poor enough there for a long number of years so it makes it even harder to understand why you’d waste such money.

Up to about 20 years or so ago he used to do all his silage on his own with a double chop. He’d fill 2 trailers, then draw them to the pit and push them up with a 135. It wouldn’t be unusual for this to be happening in December and that’d be first cut!

There’d still be regular enough reference made of the Christmas about 30 - 35 years ago when he spent all of the Christmas at his silage in the snow!!

It's his world really and the rest of us only live in it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

I thought of this post yesterday when I was baling hay for the same man again. There was a few fields that he didn’t cut for second cut silage last year so the hay that was baled in them in July last year was moved over to the ditch out of the way to allow it to be mowed again this week. 3 years worth of hay in some of the fields now between what’s lined up along the ditches and what was baled yesterday!

Did you ask him what the plan was? Would he not be better off letting it out for a bit of grazing or sell it out of the field if he's not going to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think some people have a fear that the person they sell too will make more money out of it than they did. So they’d let it rot rather than sell. You’d often see it with classic cars and machinery. Stuff left rotting away in a ditch for fear the next lad could make a few pound out of it and they’d look like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭minerleague

This is very true, guilty of it myself if being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

The auld fella strikes again, hes a good 3 weeks now trying to get a bearing out on the bed of the mower. Wont ring the local lad as he reckons hed have to bring the tractor and moweer to his yard and "thats only slobbering and ye wouldnt know when yed get it back". Has only asked lads working full time in garages who are up the walls as it is instead of ringing the local fella he even wanted to get a heavy diesel fitter from a bit away to do it at one stage. He rang me last night to tell me hes stepped up from using a calf dehorner to heat around the bearing and has bought a cheap blowtorch to heat it i havent heard anything since then but i cant imagine he has it sorted yet.

Same with shed painters here recently id be friendly enough with a legit fella that does a lot of industrial painting as well as farm sheds and he wouldnt consider him at all. A fella only one step out of the camp came in last week and he was doi g work for a particular fella nearby (a b@llox of the highest order in the auld lads book up until then) and on that alone he gave them the work.

Now with one fella only one step outta the camp about the place hes fretting about stuff going missing now and as bad and all as it was before hiding sockets sets, welders and everything else in ditches and under bales i can only imagine what its going to be like now.

Seems that generation would rather put hardship on themselves rather than take a bit of advice off the next generation.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

He’s in so deep into the mower bearing now that he can’t see the wood from the trees.

Had to use a few cable ties myself this week to keep a board on the side of the trailer drawing out dung. Might class as guntering though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Run a bead of weld along the inside of the outer race of the bearing. It should pop out then when cooled down.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Baled a bit for this man again today. He was telling me about another local man that he’d be friendly with rang him about a week ago and asked him if he’d sell some of the hay out of the ditches. He told him he would sell some hay but he’d sell him the hay he baled this year as it’d be better than what’s been out for a few years now. The other man told him he didn’t mind taking the old stuff from the ditches as he’d used it for bedding. My man got very offended, told him that hay was far too good for bedding and to go and buy straw somewhere if he wanted bedding!

It's impossible to win with the likes of them because they change the rules of the game as it goes on. You'd be as well off buying it somewhere else imo because you'd only end up annoying both parties and no one being satisfied with the outcome. Some lad's spend there entire lives snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

As a poster above mentioned a lot of the time it's lad's being afraid that someone else might profit from what they got off them. You'll see lad's holding onto stuff and letting it rot rather than risk the next man turning a pound that they could have had. It's a desperately limiting mentality imo to spend you're entire life minding everyone else's business often at the expense of you're own.

All I could think of when he was telling me the story was your comment from a while back where you said “it’s his world really and the rest of us only live in it”

I know the second man that wanted to buy the hay reasonably well, it’ll be interesting to hear his side of the story.

While to me, and probably everyone else that hear’s the story, it seems like lunacy not to be doing something with the feed you’ve saved, I think the world is a better place having characters like that in it, life would be dull if we were all the same!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The problem with the current world is that we are all the same. And not half enough new (or ancient) ideas.

Of course it’s wicked messing between them 2 lads but you are right when you say the world needs more characters like that.

There’ll probably be a bigger crowd at their funerals than that of any of us “sensible” and “efficient” people.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate the kind of idiots leaving cars and machinery outside hoping it'll make a packet when it's rotting and falling apart and only fit for scrap in the end. Only themselves they're fooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think most to this for that reason. I think it’s more a

1) Hold that for a few years now incase I need it the odd time if the new one breaks down. Still there 10 years later and fully fucked now after year 2 of being layed up

2) I will sell that now when I get a chance to take some pictures. But never get round to it.

We have a back end grab that got a new valve chest that’s been parked up like that for years. Haybob destined for the same fate 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

When my neighbour changes the oil in anything, he pours the waste oil into the slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

No rooter ever changes oils.

usually don’t have to as there are unrepaired leaks.

What a waste. Burned oil is always handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Handy for what though? if tractors are serviced regularly there will be a lot of waste oil which should be disposed of responsibly. The most common suggestions on handy uses of "burnt oil" fit well with the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Spraying machinery at year end, painting roof trusses, and fence posts.

Giveing to someone with an oil burner for heating.

Better ways than down the slats anyway.

Advertisement