Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

as i said before, o gara was voted most influential player of the first 15 years of the heineken cup, how can that not be world class?

He was the outhalf for a team that played 10 man rugby. Of course he was influential 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

even taking that massive oversimplification as true, it doesnt refute my point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

does saying periods plural not imply he was world class though? sexton for example wasn't consistently world class until after o gara retired but id still label him world class overall

Yeah, there is an argument for it. But to me he ultimately had too many shortcomings particularly in defence. He was very, very good for a period of a few years though when the game suited him. The comparison with Sexton is silly though - comparing anyone except BOD to Sexton is silly.

That was tongue in cheek to be honest. Using some made up award as yardstick for a metric of being world class is reaching though. Who voted for that?

i wasnt comparing them in that instance though, or at least i didnt want it to come across like that, i was just trying to say sexton is probably the most complete 10 since dan carter. beauden barrett has more pace but isnt as good at managing the game, few others like pollard are close but not quite there.

all awards are made up. who voted - The nine-man ERC15 selector panel of Sir Ian McGeechan, Lawrence Dallaglio, Ieuan Evans, Fabien Galthie, Donal Lenihan, Michael Lynagh, Stuart Barnes, Stephen Jones and Jacques Verdier deliberated long and hard to come up with the elite and honour the ERC European Dream Team of the past 15 years - there you go. two (at least) very highly qualified coaches included too, one of the ones referenced earlier and everything

• Advertisement

Fair enough that’s a fairly knowledgeable panel alright. All of those awards are made up yes. Was O’Driscoll not world class because he never won WOPTY? Despite definitely deserving it on 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm sorry but anyone aruging for ROG being better than Wilkinson is having a laugh. Wilkinson was the best OH in Europe for a decade and even in his last season, he was winning a European and Top14 double and he was absolutely incredible then too.

None of which is relevant here of course.

he wasnt at all though. he was an outstanding goalkicker and defender, he was playing superb stuff in 2002 when he was the best 10 in the world, but he was even more limited than someone like o gara. being metronomic with the boot disguised the fact his attacking game was limited. he did have a bit of a resurgence towards the end but having matt giteau outside him took alot of the burden away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ask any rugby head from not-Ireland if Rog was World Class. Fleetingly few will tell you yes.

A munster legend, an irish legend, but not world class.

will greenwood, stuart barnes, JB ellisalde, chris masoe, dylan hartley would all disagree with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

i meant your statement but yes i worded it wrongly. they (among others) called o gara world class, greenwood and barnes a number of times on sky for one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's stuff like this that gives Irish rugby fans the reputation we have for being deluded. "Wilkinson was more limited than O'Gara" is one of the worst takes I've ever heard. Wilkinson is up there with Carter and Phil Bennet as the greatest 10s ever. Nobody outside Ireland would have ROG, as good as he was, in that conversation.

Wikinson kicked the World Cup winning drop goal with his weaker foot, which is as close as one can get to "completing rugby". How were ROG's performances at World Cups? Oh...yeah.

His attacking game was way better than he's given credit for, especially early in his career, when it was outstanding and way better than ROG's ever was. He was also an absolute brick wall in defence, and ROG....well....wasn't.

I get that provincial/national fans will always have a level of bias towards their own players and that's fine. But this is just too far. ROG was a great player but he doesn't hold a candle to Wilkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Bennett was the top dog. Unbelievable player. Carter was the best of his generation and Wilkinson was outstanding. ROG was very vertical good, but not at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

What is the definition of world class?

In my view ROG was consistently in the top 5 in his position during his career. Other top 5 players were David Wallace, Gordon D’Arcy, John Hayes, Keith Wood. .

Tommy Bowe, Heaslip and some others were not a million miles away

However, Sexton, BOD and POC were top three and that puts them in the world class bracket in my opinion. Sexton probably the best of the lot.

Wilkinson also missed four drop goals in that final, 3 of which when there was ample space elsewhere and when it wasn't the right option (much as it's still a good option if it goes over). The drop goal was fantastic absolutely, but he was average in that final, larkham outplayed him in attack largely

I've already stated a number of non Irish players/pundits/etc who call o gara world class. Don't agree if you don't want to, but it doesnt change the fact they did. Or the fact that o gara won the award for most influential player of the first 15 years of the Heineken cup. That's not to be sniffed at. And yes Wilkinson won ERC player of the year in 2013, but in fairness it's easy to look good when you have basically every good player in the world paid handsomely to play outside you

Early on in his career he had a good attacking game (2002 v Ireland in particular) but post 2003 he wasn't that great. He got rave reviews against Scotland in 2007 even though he was just fine and Andy Farrell actually did alot more in attack than he did.

Yeah I've said he was an excellent defender on multiple occasions

Theres no bias, just an understanding of the talent the player had. Lacking in alot of people on here it seems

2006 - 2009 o gara was the second best 10 in the world behind carter though

Again, see above. Second behind carter for a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

For me world class means top 2, maybe 3, it’s very subjective though.

O’Gara was knocking on that door but was never there in my opinion. He managed to sustain a very high level for a ling career though and was a long way above anything we’d had for a long time. Only Sexton has been better I think.

It’s all opinion though, everybody’s is a bit different.

On Wilkinson, he always played very deep and very rarely got a back line moving.

I used to be friendly with a few of the Falcons players from his time and they always preferred playing with Toby Flood because of Wilkinsons attacking limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The problem with even just saying top 2 or 3 in the world is say there’s no particular standout at 9 in the world then by that metric someone like JGP becomes world class. Really it’s a meaningless enough phrase and generally used as part of statement whilst gushing over a player. Then people complicate by using other words like international, European cup or URC level. It’s all far too subjective to really be worth arguing over.

On the current nonsense ROG is easily enough the second best 10 of the pro era, beyond that it’s difficult to make comparisons with amateurs from other eras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well Dupont is a metric, probably one of the best SH ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Take the green tinted glasses off. BOD wasn't the unlucky one 2009. Fourie du Preez was.

• Advertisement

So you agree that McCaw didn’t deserve it. :)

Post edited by stephen_n on

ROG was definitely one of the best outhalves in the world during his tenure. Not sure if always in the top 5 because whilst at his best he was up there with all but the Wilkinson / Carters of the world he went through periods of poor form. He had a terrible 2007 world cup, obviously the 2009 Lions tour will have been a career low and from 2010 onwards I thought his form was badly on the wane and he probably retired a year late. I put that wane down to the fact that I don't think he took S&C seriously enough and it caught up with him very quickly when he naturally lost that yard of space.

This is complete nonsense, and you haven't seen enough of him play if you think this is the case.

He was by some distance the best outhalf in the northern hemisphere for a long long time.

John Hayes?

Top 5 is too many as well, given how few countries really are top class in rugby. To me, it's more like top 3.

Surely there can't even be any debate about this?

McCaw himself was robbed of the award in 2008 when he was absolutely superb, but in 2009 he didn't even play that much rugby. Got injured in Super Rugby missing the summer tests, returned for the Tri Nations where the All Blacks struggled and lost the Championship to SA. Absolutely nothing deserving of a player of the year award.

Agree with Yeah_Right that it was between Fourie du Preez and Brian O'Driscoll, with Du Preez probably shading it. O'Driscoll was integral on the Leinster and Ireland side who won the Heineken Cup and Grand Slam, du Preez won Super Rugby with the Blue Bulls, the Tri Nations with SA and a Lions series that summer.

Yes, John Hayes. 107 caps for Ireland and the Lions over ten seasons. Two Heineken Cups. One Grand Slam. He was key to Ireland’s renaissance after a miserable 1990’s. Furlong is a better player (and I should have mentioned him) but Hayes really was excellent. Quietly very effective.

I think top five is relevant as players comes and go in a period particularly with England, France, Australia etc where you can have a player who has one or two big seasons and is then off the scene (whether through injury or a new player on the scene).

Ferris and Sean O’Brien would have been up there except they had seasons lost to injury.

Without question his longevity was admirable, and there were parts of his game where he was utterly elite, but I think people are bandying the term world class around here a bit too freely.

Was he one of Ireland's greatest ever THP's? Unquestionably.

Was he ever one of the best 2 or 3 THPs in the world? No, he wasn't.

For the Lions, he was on the gargantuan 2005 tour, but didn't crack the test team. He got called out as a late replacement for (the absolutely not world class) Euan Murray, and got 20 something minutes off the bench in the dead rubber third test.

The word world class is thrown around too easily.

I don’t disagree. In my original post What I was trying to say was that only Sexton, BOD and POC were truly world class in the modern era.

I think by the definition of best 2-3 players in the world in the position for a sustained period of time, Robbie Henshaw and Tadgh Furlong have probably deserved to be in that discussion too.

Conor Murray was absolutely world class for a period between 2015-2018 imo. There are probably more than don't come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Sean O’Brien was certainly world class (between injury layoffs)

Advertisement