Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Bird - AppleTV+ -(***Spoilers***) Ray Liotta & Taron Egerton

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The credits mention Karsen Liotta, Ray's daughter. She played the part of the "knitter's" daughter. It's good to see another Liotta carrying on the family tradition 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Only one episode left. Can't believe it's over so quickly. Egerton is definitely a fan of young De Niro's style of acting but him and Hauser have been great. In fact I'm driving my wife nuts by impersonating Larry's voice when the mood strikes me. Might even grow me some burnsides too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I watched it. I don't think there's a thread on boards from a quick search.

Yeah definitely Paul Walter Hauser did a different performance there. He has some similar mannerisms but he put out some real heart especially towards the end. He did a decent job at keeping things subtle earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great final episode to a great series. Emotional seeing Ray Liotta's final scene in the episode for obvious reasons.

As always music on point with this 90's classic from The Verve ending the show

• Advertisement

Agreed. Strong series! I think the biggest impacts coming from episodes four and five.

Credit to the developer, Dennis Lehane, for structuring the story in that way for the audience.

Overall top performances, I thought from:

• Taron Egerton (Jimmy)
    • Paul Walter Hauser (Larry)
    • Jake McLaughlin (Gary)
    • Ray Liotta ("Big Jim" Keene)

The Egerton and Hauser dynamic especially.

6: I wasn't hugely glad with how it all played out but I guess that's how it went down. The standout scene for me here was the

decision to make the map in blood. Egerton really got across the desperation Jimmy was going through at that point. Later in the court room, the change in demeanour and pressence didn't feel off.

Oh.. almost forget.. that dream sequence in the start was so messed up! 😲

I can't believe

they haven't found one of the bodies... and he only confessed to 15 not the 21.. and then recanted.

it felt a bit of gut punch that the map didn't help at all.. especially after that wood shop scene where Jimmy put across the perspective of the families of the victims. That stayed with me right to end I think and just collided with this outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Was so surprised the map got burned and didn’t play any part in locking up Larry.

A very strong 6 episodes, one to rewatch later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Wow, what a refreshingly good show. Paul Walker Hauser being the standout for sure.

I would gladly watch a few seasons of this.

In my mind it does have a mix of Zodiac (a super super film) and a bit of Mindhunter, gotta say Apple have knocked it out of the park again...Severance (cannot wait for season 2) and Pachinko being other stand outs.

Just to add, Ray Liotta looked terrible from the start, whether intentional or how he actually looked it looked ominous for him (legend)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,585 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enjoyed it, the format really opens the possibility of spin offs, get someone inside a prison to get a high profile prisoner to confess, could be murders, could be locating missing millions in a bank job etc etc.

I hope Lucky Man by The Verve gets the same level of air play as Running Up That Hill did for Kate Bush after Stranger Things used it, stomping track 😁

RIP Ray Liotta. As said, he didn't look well in it from start to finish, was this intentional with makeup or a measure of how ill he was? Hollywood has near zero succession planning, there's a block of greats aged from 50-80 that nothing new is coming anywhere near up to replace, particular in the gangster era movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loved it, such a great show. If it was on Netflix, I'd have no doubt everyone would be taking about it. I've been a fan of PWH since first seeing him in Kingdom where he was brought in for the first season as a comedic character but then kept on and story fleshed out because of how good he was. Then going from Cobra Kai to Black Bird couldn't be more opposite, hopefully he picks up a few award nods for this, definitely deserves them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Excellent show ,near perfect 6 episodes.

PWH was brilliant as Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if Mr Carter existed in real life, and if he did, I wonder if he got what he deserved?

The only poetic licence that I've seen mentioned is that the bloody drawing of the map apparently didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would say there are plenty of Mr. Carter types in prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Shocked at how little this is being spoken about, one of the best shows I've watched in recent years.

Yupp, if this was on Netflix, everyone would be talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Larry was awesome some acting

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I was looking for something good after Mare of Eastown which was amazing and this was just as good if not better. PWH was fantastic.

Feels like I missed some over exposure of Egerton or something.

PWH put in a good performace but I thought Egerton did too.

Seems to be radio silence on Egerton though. Nothing seems to be controversial on the Welsh actors wiki page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ahh thats it, I couldn't remember what I'd seen him in before.

Yeah he's a pointless character in Cobra Kai, but plays the Larry Hall part well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

This was fantastic. Amazing performance from Egerton especially the last two episodes.

Larry's voice was enough to put me on edge never mind his mannerisms and demeanour when he was talking about the girls.

I decided to give it a go after seeing a tweet recommending it, no idea how it's flying so under the radar.

• Advertisement

I got a few months of Apple free and it's shocking. A handful of good programs but awful service. I feel bad for any quality shows on that which would get such a bigger audience on Netflix.

Yupp, have some absolute shyte compared to the other streamers but the views they get over the others is so far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Interesting story, especially considering it's based on true events. Really like Taron Egerton - very good actor, with amazing diversity. Unbelievably buffed up for this! Never heard of Paul Walter Hauser - he's excellent in this.

First 3 episodes were settling in periods, but very watchable. Episode four was fantastic tv ; mainly just the two guys. Utterly absorbing - really well acted, directed and edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

I was trying to place him - and had to google it - Paul Walter Hauser was in I Tonya - really great character - with some similarities to this one (although not as dark) Great movie - worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

He was also in the film about Atlanta bombings in 96, he was the security guard. Richard Jewell was the name of the film.

Black Bird was the best thing I watched all year but very few know about it as on Apple TV+. I must say Apple are building up a nice catalogue more quality over quantity certainly there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Maybe this was a case of less is more; the show had a bit of a slow start, but by the end I would have loved to have seen this stretched by 2 or 3 episodes. Utterly absorbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just finished watching this back to back with Under the Banner of Heaven. Incredible duo of real crime drama, probably preferred Under the Banner of Heaven but this was fantastic as well and both had such terrific performances. Including Ray Liotta who really puts in a fantastic turn, but I gotta say he looked incredibly unwell, and not solely because the role demanded it via makeup or whatever.

Paul Walter Hauser is fantastic, always been a fan since he was in Kingdom. I didn't want to spoil the show by reading about the case before I'd finished watching, but what a case/story it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

i just finished episode 5 and I haven’t read any of the thread but needed to say this series is damn good.

It is very disturbing, much more so than other series or movies that show the violence, because Egerton and Hauser give such great performances and the writing.

They both seem to have put a lot into their characters with even the little things.

I did Google about the riots because it showed a number of guards being killed and I was curious about the public reaction and outcome because the show has everything quickly go back to normal and the FBI agent isn’t shown as contacting Larry or even discussing it. I couldn’t find anything and I am curious why they made this up in a based on fact story that has kept other details accurate.

I didn’t recognise Hauser was Stingray until a flashback of him pre-burnsides.

Advertisement