Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I would have thought that getting in ahead of the game now would be more beneficial going forward.

Applegreen obviously are making money at present from EV drivers stopping to charge. I know I spend a minimum of a tenner in store in Castlebellingham and Birdhill when I'm out and about.

Throw in banks of chargers with good food, good coffee, clean toilets and maybe decent WiFi and you've a captive audience now and certainly in the future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They did the same in the UK, Applegreen bought the Welcome Break chain of service stations and have been very difficult when allowing charging partners to extend their networks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They need to sh1t or get off the pot, and it's scandalous that they are allowed hold up the installation of critical transport infrastructure because 'they might want to do it themselves' in the future...

Ireland really is such a mess, and is light years behind the curve, and will remain so for the foreseeable future... EV sales doubling year on year, chargers increasing at a rate of about 0.1 per year.....

I was at Eindhoven Supercharger last week (a random hotel next to a motorway) and there were 24 Tesla Superchargers (open to all cars with CCS plugs), 2 of those 350kW units that they have in Mayfield (didn't see what plugs they had, but guessing 1 each of CHAdeMO & CCS), a 50kW triple head unit, and about 20 AC sockets...... and there's probably 50 sites like or similar to that in Holland, a country about 60% the size of Ireland...

There were more EV charging spaces than non EV charging spaces in the carpark FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's the problem of these exclusive rights grants. The UK had a similar problem with Ecotricity until recently.

If we got widespread Norway/Holland etc level of SuC coverage but some sites were open to non Tesla users I think that's a price worth paying.

I think that'll be the only saviour of EV charging in Ireland.... Tesla expanding hugely, and opening the network....

And given where Tesla are installing all their sites here now (not at Motorway service areas), it'll hopefully kill off the likes of Applegreen (or seriously dent their traffic volumes).... They've made their bed etc....

Ironically enough of the 11 SuperChargers I used traversing Europe over the last 3 weeks, only 1 of them was located at a petrol station... and even at that, it wasn't really a motorway services, just a small petrol station attached to a larger restaurant complex/rest area in Lohne, Germany

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree with you Andy but we cannot compare and Island nation with zero transient traffic to continental Europe where long journeys require essential en route charging.

Tesla are making inroads, just not at the pace we'd like, I'd much rather a Sligo SuC versus Cashel

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,322 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not just that but the vast majority of EV owners in Ireland - even in the metropolitan Dublin area - has their own drive way with cheap home charging. In continental Europe that's most often not the case, so people depend on public fast charging a lot more. The business model for providing public charging and making a profit on it, isn't really here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

I really cannot understand why they could not find a suitable site anywhere along the whole length of the M9 motorway!

I have suggested and sent possible sites numerous times but nothing ever back from Tesla and absolutely no sign of any superchargers along what has to be the worst served motorway not only for superchargers but ANY EV chargers in the whole of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I agree. M9 and/or M11 really need a supercharger.

If they added M9,M11 and then N5/somewhere up to sligo/carrick/NE direction that would be the country covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Applegreen and this licencee are one and the same in my books. If they're happy to take his licencee money they can be just as happy to be associated with him

• Advertisement

He did submit planing for an updated site layout with provision for chargers, so hopefully its a DC unit(s)

Waterford is desperate, and a SuC on the M9 (south of Carlow) would be bloody awesome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

slightly off topic, but interesting numbers on chargers per land size in EU , we aren't the worst, but compared to Netherlands ....

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/13/half-of-eu-electric-car-chargers-in-just-two-countries/

LOL

Netherlands are 4% of the EU population and have 29% of the charge points (800%)

Sweden has 2% of the EU population and have 8% of the charge points (400%)

Germany are 19% of the EU population and have 19% of the charge points (so only average 100%)

Ireland has a bit over 1% of the EU population and a bit under 1% of the charge points, so below par but many other countries are even worse and this number is nothing to write home about. Ireland have almost 10 times the population of Luxembourg, yet fewer charge points

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

There are huge numbers of terrace houses in the DCC area with no off-street parking.

Did I state otherwise? My point was just that the difference between the countries is that in Ireland the majority of EV owners have a driveway. In the Netherlands only a minority have a driveway. So more need for public charging over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just 46 stalls at a random shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dsandson

I dont think they're all superchargers - some are the urban chargers, 50-75kW I think - I cant recall the name. i haven't seen them installed anywhere this side of the pond. Nice setup, some value in that car park too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I will believe it when I see it, unless I'm mistaken the fact he had to include the chargers in planning permission means he will have more than 2 points, I think ecars are unlikely to be the provider in any case

The utter fcuking stupidity of some people……

Athenry SuC;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Am I being thick? I'm looking at seeing if I can access SuC in France, and have downloaded the Tesla App but all I can see are areas for the various models, and2 generic merchandise.

Where in the app is the "charging" bit???

I've followed the (frustratingly simple) instructions here.

And googling doesn't seem to reveal an answer. Ughhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I think you need to have a French billing address on your Tesla account to get access to the SuC as a non-Tesla owner. Some weird restriction of the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Look up a hotel in France, use that as your home address when signing up for the SC network in France.

Should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Going by the number plate

....." Aye m'right thanks Jock"

I did that, I added the address of a family home in France to my profile on the app. Although the address seemed optional. Also used it for billing address for my curve card.

I did use an Irish phone number but *shrugs*.

I might just delete my account and start again

I haven't tried it (I have a real Tesla account), but you might need a French mobile number for 2FA (there are services for that online) and you might need to use a VPN while you are setting up your French account so that the website thinks you are in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I remember it cost 1.5 million, I looked it up on maps at the time and thought there was not enough parking around the hotel, a wedding plus a full hotel = a lot of cars, I knew there was a good chance it would be iced, etc, never ever thought a camper van.

i haven’t tried the phone number, although I do have one I could use.

no need for vpn, in France en ce moment!

Edit; got sorted. Just deleted account and started again and registered it with everything French

Post edited by crisco10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

That's not an excuse. Shoud they have been disabled spaces would they still parked there? There is need for education to understand the disruption they create. I was just reading that the Bavarian police got involved in such a project where they raise awareness, followed I imagine by enforcement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Report it to Tesla, they do take examples like this seriously, apart from the blocking it’s also breaking the law, that’s an absolute joke, I’d really let the Hotel know about it, Google reviews/Twitter etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Deflate the tires...go all vigilante on it. Incredibly annoying that.

Advertisement