Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Absolutely delighted, bring it on as I can't stand this recent heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

The peak of the Perseid meteor showers is tonight for anyone interested. We should be in for a show with the clear skys. The last time we had a clear night sky on August 12th was in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Stunning day yesterday here in Leitrim. Today promises to be the same.

Busy trying to get all the work done before it gets too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

In Trim all week and it's been glorious, each day better than the previous. Had a social event in Dublin city yesterday evening and was expecting to be hit by heat stepping off the bus at around 19:00 but instead it was barely warm, maybe 22-23° and certainly not what I was expecting. I could even smell the sea air so the sea breeze had obviously made an incursion.

Am heading to the new home in longford today where I'm guaranteed no such sea breeze and whilst it won't be the warmest part of the country, it will be pleasantly warm, hopefully not far from 30°. It's not often I get to experience such pleasant warmth in this country but whilst it's here, I want to make the best of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

That’s it highdef, we all should make the most of it while it’s here as we all know only too well that cooler blustery weather with rain is never that far away really.

Having breakfast in the back garden looking at the gin blue sky for the last few mornings has been a major highlight for me. The warmth when you step outside at 8am has been bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Can anyone tell me,Whats currently going on over the irish sea? Is it really rain?

21.4C already here in Waterford City. I think we'll break the 30C today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No rain. False return/anomalous propagation (anaprop). There is nothing there!

• Advertisement

Indeed, it's just beautiful and I could have this for half the year, no problem.....all year round ideally!

Personally, in the past few days I've only encountered a few people who have found this (in no way extreme) warmth to be too much and they fell into two distinct groups. One was elderly people so I can understand that and I have empathy for them. The other was people who were overweight by choice (ie, not a medical condition) and not just slightly overweight but the type of person who would be in the pub several times a week, would have take away a couple of times every week (if not more), would drive 1km to the shop rather than walk (to buy a pack of cigarettes or pick up a take away, perhaps) and in general, just don't look after their physical welllbeing. Granted, there are some people who have a genetic condition that results in them being overweight but I'm talking purely about those people who get fat because of their own personal choices that lead to fatness and then complain about the current weather which should not be a burden to a regular healthy person.

Yes, this is a contentious issue but from my observations, this is what I have seen. Healthy weight people with no underlying conditions=Loving this weather, generally. Overweight/obese people=can't handle this weather. Also, there are of course plenty of other reasons why an individual may be overweight and I am only commenting about people who are overweight due to their lifestyle choice.

I've no doubt this will cause some debate and is slightly off topic but it's a topic that is directly related to this very chat. Let the barrage commence!

Don't forget the lightning strike near Drumlish in Longford and the other out at sea, east of Wexford! 😄

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Honda 50 in Drumlish in Longford and old trawler with dodgy engine east of Wexford! 😀

I agree with alot of this, and to add, I've found the people - especially the female ones who'd have the heat blaring during winter are loving this current weather! I definitely think there are cold blooded ones out there! 😂

Well I for one don't like this heat and I'm not over weight and I'm fairly healthy, I know loads of people who are similar to me and don't like it. So your assumptions which are not based on any data is way off the mark. It's like saying that someone who is thin doesn't like the cold. Everyone is different irrespective of their health status. If you like this heat, enjoy it and if not it will be gone very soon.

That's why I said that regular weight are OK with warm weather.......generally. Of course there are exceptions.

My main point was that if you compared normal weight people with overweight or obese people, from my personal observations (not scientific fact), a higher proportion of the overweight category will say it's too hot versus those who are of normal weight.

I just thought of a good example. On the way into Dublin by bus yesterday evening, I passed by an area of shops on Old Cabra Road in the Cabra/Phibsborough area. I counted exactly 20 people walking/standing in the area. All but 1 were obviously very overweight (which in itself was alarming) and most of them looked to be somewhat struggling with the "heat" - I could see sweat on the faces of most of them and some others had a "not liking this at all" expression on their faces. Body language told a lot too.

24° at Sherkin Island and Roche's Point @ 10:00, the two warmest official places in Ireland - now that has surprised me! No doubt the slight east breeze being a key factor.

Having been quite overweight many a moons ago, I concur with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't like the way people are equating heat lovers as somehow healthy and heat non-lovers as unhealthy slobs, please take that pseudo science crap to another forum.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

25.9 C here in Waterford City. It's going to be a very hot day down here. In the space of a few mins it's now 26.2C.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com/

They were the famous F.L.A.B. (Fat Lardy Arms Brigade).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Up to 26 already in West cork, mad temps. Bit more of a warm breeze today though to cool people down! Temps rising faster then yesterday.

Oak Park is tracking about a degree behind yesterday. 23.6 at 11 am today versus 24.5 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Just spoke to my brother in west Dublin and he said it is glorious but doesnt feel quite as hot as yesterday as there is a slight breeze.

Maybe the temperatures peaked yesterday? Oak Park was higher by a degree or so this time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

27.3c in Waterford and 27.2 in Kilkenny.

Hubby in Longford has said that it's warmer there than this time yesterday and that there's hardly a breath of wind so I know where I'm going to shortly! Can't be having this slight breeze in Trim as it's taking the edge off the nice warmth!

I may even go for an afternoon jog.......I absolutely love going for a jog in very warm and calm conditions!

I'm pretty confident that temperatures will peak tomorrow, this pesky cooling breeze should be less prevalent tomorrow. The ground is warmed up now and the airmass is too so remove the marine influence and we should be game ball for tomorrow......31.9° in the Kilkenny/Carlow area is my guess but would be delighted if it surpassed 32°

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Doesn't feel as warm today compared to yesterday in Meath. I was in Dublin for much of yesterday and it was a fantastic warm day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lady_North_11

Not overweight, healthy enough but can't stand this heat. Very presumptuous comments to be honest. Would love to see the data to back up your statement. Have never had a sun holiday coz I just don't like the heat.... Give me autumn, winter anytime. Love the sunshine but this heat... you can keep it.

Advertisement