Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was outside yesterday and it was just glorious to work in, sweated like crazy but I like that. It’s good you. Clears the pores.

came into the house (have air con downstairs) was love;y. However, had to fit lights in the highest level of the house last night, mother of Jesus, blinded by sweat, clothes dripping and of course one bloody wire would do what I asked it to do, got off the ladder and squelched all the way to the shower.

having said that I love it.

today is laying in it finally, work all done. Even bought a fancy sun lounger, herself is pissed cause they only had one left….😀

if Ireland had this every summer there would be no need to go abroad, it’s fantastic. Beach tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Just as we get acclimatised to the heat, it will be gone.

It is an exceptional bit of weather, very hot for Ireland and maybe we get a spectacular thundery breakdown to end it?

The Kilkenny weather station is looking hotter than yesterday for this time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

As I mentioned more than once, it's a personal observation. I also said that not all normal weight people like the heat however from interactions with many people, a higher proportion of the overweight category will say it's too hot versus those who are of normal weight.....that is the main point. Nothing presumptuous at all. If you had read my posts thoroughly, you will have seen that. Quoting myself now: "Healthy weight people with no underlying conditions=Loving this weather, generally." ....GENERALLY........that means usually but not always and you would fall into that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heat-exhaustion/symptoms-causes/syc-20373250

Obesity. Carrying excess weight can affect your body's ability to regulate its temperature and cause your body to retain more heat.

It's become politically incorrect now to state the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Ah Su Campo

You used to come in here and supply hugely beneficial and insightful posts

I hope you’re doing ok and everybody has **** but recommend toning things back, saying this as a long time admirer of your posts and stances on different issues

all the best

• Advertisement

Looking likely now I’d say. There’s two warnings out for the North from midday Sunday until 6 am and then a new one kicks until 23.59 Monday.

During Sunday afternoon, cloudier conditions and areas of rain are expected to develop across parts of Northern Ireland and Scotland. A few places seem likely to see heavy downpours and thunderstorms, which could bring up to around 50 mm of rain falling in 2-3 hours leading to some disruption. These may last through the night in places. Hail and frequent lightning are potential additional hazards.

And the second one

Very locally 20-30 mm of rain is possible in an hour, and up to around 50 mm in three to six hours. Hail and frequent lightning are also possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What about the 1 in 5 children born with Eczema in Ireland (I was one) or countless other hereditary diseases that don't do well in heat , are they all unhealthy overweight slobs too? FWIW i'm not overweight, I run about 40 miles a week but I do have fair skin, freckles, eczema and above 25C i'm miserable and itchy (and grumpy - obvs!). My wife comes for a hot country, doesn't smoke, drink alcohol and is a size 8, guess what, she loves it cooler too! Sorry mods for going off topic, but this boils my oysters.

Back to the science, its 26C here in Loughlinstown, the temperature seems to be holding up better today here than yesterday as the sea breeze had us kicked back to around 24C all afternoon yesterday.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what do you reckon folks,

the all time highest temp of 33.3 °C to be beaten this weekend?? 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Warmest day yet of the spell in Sligo, smashing weather in the point with the slightest of sea breezes to take the edge off. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

28°c in Kerry Airport at 1pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oak Park 29C at 1pm.

28.6 to be exact, but 1.0 degree higher than the same time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

28.7 in Waterford, just 0.3 off yesterday's peak. Actually much more enjoyable today, lovely breeze making it more comfortable to go out and enjoy it.

I don't think so. In or around 32° at an official station is my guess. Happy to be proven wrong with a higher temperature though. I do think the August record will be broken tomorrow though although the above does really state that.

Fair play to Waterford Airport, just in off the Tramore coast, 28 degrees in light, easterly or variable wind of 8 kts.

METAR EIWF 121300Z 11008KT 080V170 CAVOK 28/16 Q1018=

The opposite coastal airport (Donegal, even closer to the coast and several times voted the world's most scenic approach) is still not too shabby on 19 degrees in a light northwesterly breeze of 4 kts, right in off the nearby beach. One of the nicest places to be on a day like today.

METAR EIDL 121300Z 31004KT CAVOK 19/14 Q1020

Sligo Airport (also on the coast) is somewhere in between. 22 degrees in almost calm conditions.

METAR EISG 121230Z VRB02KT CAVOK 22/16 Q1020=

Oak Park is 29.1°C at 2 pm, just 0.1 higher than this time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

29.4 now in Waterford city, beats yesterday's 29.0. I never thought I'd see Waterford Airport reading 28 either. Kilkenny just needs 0.1 of a rise to hit 30 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

So far temps almost identical to yesterday so the thinking of a day on day increase not really happening.

29C here yesterday, nudging 29.5 at times in car so a slight fraction up

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

It can work differently than it's only 0.1c higher than yesterday at 2pm. Heat spurts can vary. Not saying stations won't register the same as yesterday. But at 3pm you have the guts of 2 hours for a max. It may not be Oak Park today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

It got to 29.8C here in Waterford City about 19 mins ago. It's 29C now. Way way too hot.

• Advertisement

It's hard to squeeze the last bit of heat out of it. The Valentia sounding is a degree or so lower than yesterday and would suggest maxima around 30 °C. Winds are generally slighter stronger than yesterday so that limits surface temps slightly. After that we're looking for local effects and spikes

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Oak Park at 30.3C at 15:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Most of the inland south is probably around 30C now.

Have just travelled from Trim in Meath to east Longford and the wind is barely noticeable here, with a temperature of 29° at the moment. Delighted I decided to move west away from that breeze. I see it's only 25° at Dunsany (nearest station to Trim) at 15:00.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah today is a good 3 to 4C cooler than yesterday here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

My app showing it as currently 31 in Kilkenny city. A shame met Éireann no longer have an official met station there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I know the 31.5c of Aug 1995 is the one to beat but what was the max during the Aug 2003 spell? Can’t find any info anywhere, the old met.ie site was MUCH better for temp extreme records at every station for each month.

Was 30 reached in ‘03 or was yesterday the first Aug 30c of the century?

The Swiss Nowcast model (updated hourly, times shown are CET) nicely shows up the current hotshots around Carlow and northern Cork (Moorepark reporting 30 now too). Seems to have the peak now to 4 pm.

I reckon 30.9 at Oak Park will be the top.

• Advertisement

Malin head the cool spot,now above 15c. 15.7c at 3pm. 5c cooler than the next lowest station.

Advertisement