Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you have old £20 and £50 exchange them before 30th September

• 27-07-2022 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

If you have old exchange sterling notes you need to exchange as they will become worthless after September.

30 September 2022 is the last day you can use our paper £20 and £50 notes. Many banks will accept withdrawn notes as deposits from customers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Totally false rubbish.

UK £20 & £50 can no longer be be used in shops after 30th September. They DO NOT become worthless.

UK banks and post offices will continue to accept them for many years. If you have them and you are keep them for a future visit to the UK, simply pop into a high street bank and they will exchange it.

I had a few £5 notes (withdrawn 5 years ago) and simply walked into a Natwest branch and they simply took them and gave me £60 back. This was in April 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

UK banks and post offices will continue to accept them for many years. If you have them and you are keep them for a future visit to the UK, simply pop into a high street bank and they will exchange it.

I wouldn't bet on it. It's going to depend on the policy of each bank. No post office or bank branch will be obliged to accept them after Sept. 30th. High street banks in the UK may accept them for some time into the future when presented in a lodgement by an existing customer but exchanging new for old across the counter may be something they decide they will not do beyond (maybe) the end of 2022

The Bank of England issued a statement on June 22nd whch stated the following:

For the next 100 days, these can still be used or deposited at your bank in the normal way.

After Sept. 30th:

Old series Bank of England notes can be presented for exchange either in person at the Bank’s premises in London, or sent by post (at the sender’s risk) to: Dept NEX, Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London EC2R 8AH. For further details, please see the Bank of England website.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2022/june/100-days-left-to-use-your-paper-20-and-50-banknotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paper £20 and £50 notes issued by Clydesdale Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland and Bank of Scotland will also be withdrawn after 30 September 2022, and these issuing authorities have advised retailers and the public to spend or deposit these notes by that date as well. The paper £20 notes issued by Bank of Ireland (UK) plc, AIB Group (UK) plc, Northern Bank Limited (trades as Danske Bank), and National Westminster Bank plc (trades as Ulster Bank in Northern Ireland) will also be withdrawn after 30 September 2022, and retailers and the public are also being advised to spend or deposit these notes ahead of the deadline.

A positive move if it means no more Mickey Mouse £20 and £50s issued by Bank Of Ireland, Northern Bank, Bank Of Scotland etc that cause nothing but hassle when trying to use them outside the issued area.

I have to laugh when you hand over a £50 note in the UK, it's like you are passing over a €500 note the level of examination they give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Post offices in the UK will take old notes if you are opening an account and you can send them to the Bank of England and they will either credit your bank account with the sterling amount or send you a sterling check.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭homenotaway

Getting a little worried here - I have nearly £1,000 in £50s and £20s kept for visiting family in the UK. I don't think I'll get there before September 30th. Does anyone know if Bank of Ireland would do a swap for me?

Any suggestions much appreciated TIA

• Advertisement

How near the boarder are you? That amount might be worth a trip up north?

The UK's note of choice is the £20. £50 notes aren't used very often. Get £500 out of an ATM in the UK and you'll always get £20's.

M

Yes it's odd, over here it's €50's all the way, makes it much handier in the wallet handling the larger notes. Maybe they need to make a £40 note. 😁

South Midlands, about 2 hrs drive to Enniskillen but a good suggestion, thank you 👍🏻

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'll bet you £1,000 in new notes that it will not be an issue 😀

I literally walked into Natwest in Harrogate last April with £60 of old £5 notes which were withdrawn in 2017 and they were changed on the spot with not even a slightest query. That's 5 years after they were withdrawn and the same notice published.

and as you point out, the Bank of England will accept them for infinity. So they will never be "worthless" as the op falsely claimed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭tvjunki

You can try to go into a bank here to swap them over to the new polymer notes but you need to show where the money came from or you travel up North and cash or use them.

Imagine how many paper notes floating around the world. The UK Government would be delighted if notes are cashed in. Imagine how many people have money under their mattresses they have taken out of the bank?

The old paper notes will still be in circulation up until September.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/23/only-100-days-left-to-use-paper-20-and-50-notes-says-bank-of-england

You have to have a uk address to open an account. Have a Barclays account and they are telling all non residents they need to close the accounts due to Brexit.

The bank would not take the few old 5 pound notes I had. Not in circulation for years. This was in the North so maybe they have other processes.

See if you can swap them in the bank or Post Office here. I lodged notes and swapped a few in Newry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Lodge em into your bank here …

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I will check out the suggestions/recommendations and let you know how i get on.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No, they're just withdrawing from circulation the paper £20 and £50 banknotes which have been replaced by polymer notes, just as with the Back of England. Scottish and Norn Ironish banknotes will live on for some time to come!

What it will mean is an end to First Trust notes in NI as AIB decided not to print new polymer notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I was in Wales a few years back and shops/pubs wouldn't accept my Northern Ireland notes. The self services tills in Tesco had no issue with them.

M

That's interesting with the self service tills, handy way to offload them if stuck and nowhere wants to take them.

From my experience, the major supermarket chains always accept them.

• Advertisement

If you have NI notes, you can exchange most of them for Bank of England notes in the corresponding banks in the Republic. Though you'd better get your skates on in the case of Ulster Bank notes. The licence the NI (and Scottish) banks have from the BoE to issue sterling notes says that they are obliged to exchange their own notes for BoE notes on demand. So, for example, if you have First Trust sterling notes after a trip to the north, you can walk into any branch of AIB in the south and they are obliged to exchange them for Bank of England notes. Same applies to Bank of Ireland (Donegall St., Belfast) notes.

This is not theory. I had a mix of NI notes after a week in Enniskillen a couple of years ago and my next trip was to GB so I needed to get rid of the NI money and get BoE notes. I took myself down to Blackrock in Co. Dublin, walked into the branches of AIB, BoI and Ulster Bank and did the same thing in each of them. I handed over the appropriate notes and said: 'these are your notes, can you exchange them please for Bank of England notes'. In all three cases, they did so, without question. Not as an FX transaction, a one for one swap.

Bear in mind that Ulster Bank and Royal Bank of Scotland are both part of the NatWest group so it should be possible to walk into a branch of Ulster Bank in the south with RBoS notes and get them exchanged. The other Scottish banks which issue notes (Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank) don't seem to be affiliated with any banks operating in the south.

You'll have a problem if you're stuck with Northern Bank notes, they were most recently owned by Danske Bank who no longer have any branches in the south.

Change them here if that's convenient for you but, as I've said, I've never had any issue using Scottish & NI notes anywhere in GB in the large multiples. They have the logistics to handle them that smaller businesses don't. Easy to swap them in any bank or post office in the UK too.

BTW, if anyone has First Trust notes, they should get rid of them pronto as they're being withdrawn from use at the end of September. AIB NI is no longer issuing its own notes. Same goes for all other paper Scottish & NI notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭Bricriu

I tried to exchange Bank of England notes for Euro in my PTSB bank yesterday and was told they don't do that anymore and haven't for a year and a half.

Banks are becoming less banks by the day.

The clerk told me Bank of Ireland still do exchange, but when I asked if I needed to have an account with them, he answered he didn't know.

I also asked him if their ceasing of exchange was due to Brexit and he answered he didn't know. Do bank-workers know anything about banking anymore? Yellow-pack jobs?

Anyway, except for going up to the North, where will I exchange the damn things?

You are right bank workers know nothing in BoI I've had incorrect information several times and had to get the bank staff to look up the correct information on others when they didn't know simple stuff.

I suspect BoI will still change sterling cash for euros but if you don't have an account with them you won't get a good rate and you'll probably need all sorts of ID because of money laundering laws.

Credit Union is worth trying if you are a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Post Office does foreign exchange

An Post? Last time I asked they won't change Sterling for Euros but they will change Euros for Sterling? Delighted if that has since changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

An update {albeit a bit late) re the £20 and £50 notes which will cease to be legal tender after Sept 30th. Bank of Ireland will swap them for you if you have an account with them and have ordered in advance. They lodge to your account and then withdraw (no fee).

• Advertisement
Advertisement