Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

definatlely of having to overpay in tax in order to suppor these pay rises . so yeah I am a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Stop will ya.

I nearly choked on my avacado and toast that you paid for.

You're ruining my unofficial tea break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What would you do if Public Services weren't available to you? Do you advocate for privatising services like Revenue and Welfare and running them based on a profit making model?

Is that you Eddie Hobbs by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stupidest post ever

Inflation means the figures go up, but the value doesn't. So it's not "more money" it's (if matching inflation, which won't happen) the same amount of money just a larger figure.

Duh.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, the alternative reality where SNAs leave to find jobs where they don’t get assaulted every day, where teachers leave for Dubai or Korea, where nurses leave for UK and Oz, where accountants are snapped up by auditing firms, where architects and engineers are snapped up by private practices. You seem to be living in a 1970s BBC sitcom world.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

The majority of services I use I have to pay out for again like private health care, bins, grinds for my kids, motor tax, toil bridges etc etc. No not advocating privatizing, just looking for some semblance of getting some bang for your buck when billions have been borrowed in your name for you , your kids and grand kids to pay back for covering the likes of this wage bill not to mention being fleeced in tax. If you go to a hospital with say a broken arm you are guaranteed to be waiting 24hours. its a joke, we are paying per person more than anyone else in the OCED for our health care system. Thats just one aspect I could go on to Gardai blowing into their own breathalyzers to fabricate numbers, or Kev Cardiff in the dept of finance losing 3billion on the spreadsheet or do I need to even mention the phrase "Dodgy politician" I could go on and give you a litany of public sector waste yet everyone gets their increments no matter what. You may say same happens in the private sector but if the private sector act the b0ll0x the companies hits the wall with the exception of our pillar banks which I blame on our public sector watch dogs and politicians for agreeing to bail them out back after 08.

PS paid 20% more then the private sector

PS get guaranteed pensions, private sector pensions can be raided anytime the party in power want it as happened not so long ago.

PS get guaranteed pay rises through increments no matter how good you are at your job - If your shite in the private sector no pay rises in fact you will do well to hold onto your job.

Job security - not one forced redundancy after the last recession - How did the private sector fare out last recession when the dole queue was out the door for people who were forced out of a job and this is going to happen again in the next 12 months but no one in the political sphere is calling it. The private sector do not have the sugar daddy state facilities to borrow on the never never for wages and that is what is going to cause a lot of SMEs to hit the wall, high costs are not just for individuals , businesses are also feeling it.

The fact is the public sector have got pay rises of above 10% over the last 8 years leading up to 2021/2022 with an inflation rate of 2% during the same period. Now they are looking for 10%+ on inflation figures that no one knows if they are going to temporary or not and no discussion to the fact that we are in transition with a lot of things like Brexit, Covid and of course a war which all experts are blaming on inflation rates being so high. So what happens in 12 months when say Brexit is sorted, Covid is gone and the war is over and inflation drops, you sure as hell wont see the unions threatening to strike for pay cuts. Best way is to just cut everyone's tax that way we all get some and its an easier mechanism to adjust when we hit the recession that will be here in 6/12 months time. Best to leave ps pay as is and see where we are in 12 months they will be getting their increments ye know same as the private sector about 40% of those working are getting pay rises.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Why would I look for a pay decrease, you know nothing of my salary or job to know if I'm worth my wage or not so stop spouting your bull and either get off your ass and do something about it or stop whinging.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They won't apply because then they will have nothing to whinge and give out about.

• Advertisement

Funny how your unions can look for wage increases based on inflation that could well turn out to be temporary, even financial experts cant agree on this yet you boyos want your pay rises on this basis you must have Nostradamus working there in SIPTU :) good man

Well if your unions are basing the current pay increase claims on current high inflation and what could be temporary inflation then why were the unions not out and asking for pay cuts back at the star of 2021 when inflation was at 2% for a period of 8 years and pay per public servant went up by over 10%. Ye know just for fairness??

Public pay was resotred by 10%, the amount the gov agreed to give back of the pay cut they took after 2008 so stop peddling your bull.

Again you don't know what role I perform or my salary so you cannot comment. All you care about is slating civil servants, it's old and tiresome at this stage and your contestant deflection of questions just shows you only want to stir it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Leave fitball alone, they're a victim don't you know.

Now I'm off to my union to demand a pay cut.

A victim with a short memory, if he’s forgotten about how public sector salaries were cut with no sign of full restoration.

They go to places like Australia where they have proper pay and T&Cs, and don't come back.

Scrap the cap!

Ah the paycuts one which was a contribution to a defined benefit - pension levy. pay restoration was a term frigged up by the unions to keep their members in check. Its a lie the actual pay restoration was the cuts after the ballooning of public sector pay by more than the doubling of the public sector pay and pensions bill in the 7/8 years preceding the crash in 08 , benchmarking anyone ? The IMF an independent body who underwrite our loans pointed out about the bloated wage in the sector which is why the cuts had to be made as they could not understand how the Irish people who had their private sector decimated could continue to pay the current rate of pay and of course this rate of pay was based on our record stamp duties, talking about that anyone seen how dependant we are on our corpo tax, if one or two of the big lads decide to leave Ireland then we are back in 2008 territory again. , You boyos have phucking short, selective memories and you are very selective with a lot of things, such as selective when trying to compare pay rises in the private sector "ah look at tescos 10% payrise I want that" and ignoring the 1.2 million private sector employees who will get zero pay rises this year. Then the next argument "Ahh but inflation is up over 9%" and then ignoring the previous 8 years where inflation was at 2% and pay per public sector employee went up by over 10%. Ah but the inflation of 2022 is so high and our lads in SIPTU have a crystal ball and are full on sure that this inflation is not temporary. What a load of nonsense inflation started because of supply chain issues from Brexit then Covid and then was exasperated by a war in the Ukraine all 3 of these issues will be gone at some point in the future which means inflation will reverse. As I say best to give tax cuts to everyone while the going is good, cant see it lasting for any longer than another 12 months.

I’ll take it as a compliment to be accused of selective memory by someone who uses plain lies to push their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

@fliball123 it doesn't matter if inflation is transitory. The inflation HAS happened. Costs are already nearly 10% higher than the same time last year.

Even if inflation drops back to 2 - 4 % by the end of the year that's ON TOP of the 10% they already increased.

Costs will only go down if there is deflation. But deflation of 10% is almost unheard of (only hit -4.5% last recession). In all likelihood, costs will remain as they are now and probably increase.

Hence the strong argument for inflation matching public pay increases.

• Advertisement

What about the 8 years preceding our current inflation spike where ps pay per person went up by a ratio of 5:1 against inflation. Why was there no argument made for pay cuts by the unions in 2021 under the same paradigm and it may take 12 months+ to see inflation head into negative territory but it will as we are heading into a recession and inflation will fall due due to the recession and the fact that the 3 causes I outlined will be rectified at some point in the future. Also if Leo follows through on the third tax band then taxation measures will help tackle a good whack of inflation meaning pay claims should be a lot less.

Inflation isn't temporary it's permanent. Prices may stop increasing as rapidly as they are now, but they're not going to decrease

You seem to have trouble with the most basic arithmetical and economic concepts.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

And you know for sure inflation is permanent and will not go back into minus territory at any stage over the next 1/5 years, how prey tell do you know this? Can I have your crystal ball please? Haha and you called me Mystic Meg :) I am pretty sure we had deflation during the last recession, we also had 2 dips of deflation in the last 8 years so it does happen and guess what the UK, America and Germany (probably the 3 countries with the biggest influences on our open economy) are all in trouble with respect to a recession. Your the one who doesn't seem to understand what is going on with our economy or you refuse to take your head out of your a$$ long enough to see it.

Post edited by fliball123 on

@fliball123 I honestly don't know if you don't understand or if you're being intentionally obtuse.

The stats YOU provided show Ireland as having experienced annual DEFLATION only 3 times since 1960. In 2009 it was -4.5%. The other two times were less than -0.5%.

There is no way that prices are dropping back to what they were last year. The only way to ensure purchasing power parity is to increase wages.

Tax breaks do help everyone but if one set of workers gets tax breaks and raises and another don't, then those that don't lose out.

Also, the 10% increase that you keep harping back to is based on a selective timeframe. For instance, if you select 2007 as your initial date I think wages have remained flat out even fallen.

The part where you are selecting figures to suit your own agenda. You keep mentioning the 10% pay restoration as a pay increase, there is 1 lie straight up. The gov took a straight 10% pay cut to all civil servants on the promise of it returning when the economy got back on track, well guess what fliball, the economy well and truly got back on track and the pay restoration had to be fought for so no it's not an increase, it's restoration. By the way I don't get an increment every year but you seem fully sure we all do. As I said previously either answer the questions been put to you without deflecting or get lost cos you do not have a clue.

Sorry the stats are there for all to see that we had deflation three times in the last 15 years 2008 , 2015 and 2018/2019 regardless of how much it was, It proves the point that it can happen, the argument could also be made that 2018 could of been worse only for the onset of Brexit and Covid no one knows what way things would of panned out, we were technically in a recession at the start of 2019. So I ask you the same question how do you know prices wont come back down? The answer is you don't. if we keep chasing inflation by upping wages for certain sectors its only going to exasperate the inflation issue and honestly I think the government giving tax breaks to everyone is going to worsen the recession when it comes and further increase inflation as its going to cause more inflation as people have more money to chase it. (Even if I would greatly benefit from the tax breaks) but I would rather everyone got some cash instead of the public sector thinking they should be first in line again.

1.2Million private sector workers or 60% are not getting pay rises in 2022 and you choosing 2007 as a date where in hindsight we were off the cliff without a parachute before the correction in 2008 is the year you want to choose REALLY? We couldn't afford our spend in 2007 and form that point onwards hence the public sector pay cuts that had tto be implemented soon after and the 240 billion we had to borrow from 2008 onwards. I based it on a year that most experts would agree the crash of 2008 was behind us.

So look we can agree to disagree IMO all optics point to a recession here in the next 12 months and what happened to deflation after the last recession? I will point you and the rest back to posts like this in 12 months time to see who was right or who had the better reception on their crystal ball. :)

So we have Gernany, UK, America in trouble (US already technically in recession), the costs are going to continue to rise for the next 6 months or so this was always going to happen after the covid lockdowns were our government borrowed 40billion to slap in peoples pockets to spend and has been lying in Irish bank accounts at record levels since the start of the year and we have had a burst of economic activity with eveything openeing up, yet already this summer consumer confidence is way down, peoples discretionary spend is down and businesses who were in trouble pre and during covid are going to hit the wall before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Someone here has plenty of time on their hands judging by their huge amount of angry posts on this thread today.

Must have one of those handy Public Service jobs or something. Jeez.

(Sarcasm).

The economy has been over heated by borrowed money (which we will have to pay back with higher interest rates at some stage by someone in the future) 40 billion alone borrowed for covid. Its a pay increase not restoration, the public sector pay bill was too high according to an independent body the IMF back in 2008 they pointed this out to our government and said it was too much and had to be cut and that you had to pay something towards those guaranteed pensions so the pension levy was a contribution to a defined benefit and not a pay cut. Pay restoration was a phrase coined by the unions and the government who's own pay goes up with every pay rise jumped on the phrase. Only in the public sector can the following occur

a pay rise is pay restoration

a pay increment is not a payrise

and a contribution to a defined benefit is a pay cut.

• Advertisement

The only time there was ever significant deflation in Ireland (-4.5% in 2009) the PS did take massive reduction in pay (~10%).

Now that there's very high inflation, isn't it reasonable to suggest that some measure of pay increase is in order?

Advertisement