Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU Transgender Women Policy Change

Comments

Key post. The complications brought about by laws created to promote an ideology rather than simply making peoples lives as manageable as possible become evident very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The IRFU are a sporting body, they set the rules for that sport. Just how exactly is that ideology especially as the decision has been made off the back of scientific evidence?

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The look at the other people who in favour of this ban point.

It's just low level bullying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So by your own admission, you have no idea of this persons lived experience. You call them a friend yet know seemingly nothing about them. You are clearly demonstrating that you have no understanding of the process or experiences of people coming out. Though you most certainly feel in a position to judge them.

You are not however commenting from a position of ignorance?

That ladies and gentlemen is what we call Double Think.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

This is definitely a concern but what can be done about it? If the most extreme far-right of far-right extremists says "remember to drink plenty of water in this hot weather" then what am I supposed to do? Refuse to drink water?

It's a terrible point to make.

It would be a lot easier to have this debate if people stopped pretending that they don't know exactly why these rules are being brought in.

Everybody knows exactly why most sports, especially contact sports, already have a separate category for women to compete in and everybody knows exactly why people who were born male and grew up male should not be allowed to compete with biological women.

"It's called Womens Rugby and this individual was born male but identifies as a woman now so why can't they play?"

That's ridiculous. We are mammals, primates, homo sapiens and one of the characteristics of our species is that we are sexually dimorphic. It is because of this dimorphism that a women's category was created in so many sports. Nothing to do with the naming conventions or social characteristics of the genders. So why are are pretending that just because someone identifies as a woman that the specific reasons why sports are segregated just cease to exist?

Do people really think that women's Rugby was created for social reasons alone and that it has nothing to do with the obvious dimorphic nature of our species?

• Advertisement

You’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Read my post again and see to what it is referring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The people who disagree with the ruling, and more broadly those who favour trans women competing in women’s sport, seem to me to be ideologically motivated. And it’s an ideology we’d all like to have in a perfect world.

But reality is that women’s contact sport will be dangerous for those born female and very much dominated by trans women unless governing bodies take the course the IRFU have.

It’s unfortunate, it’d be better if trans women could be facilitated, but unfortunately it’s not possible. Tbh I’d expect most trans women know this themselves, the reasons for the IRFU move are just common sense.

Its such a shame that people try and see agendas so often nowadays and make things into left v right debates.

The amount of people who think they've played against transgender people already is quite surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not wholly clear TBH and you seem to have an issue with that law. Even if it's about that law I'd disagree but it's not a law that should ever play any part in this. My point about the IRFU still stands anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Advertisement

It isn’t a terrible point to make.

Its always worth wondering about peoples motivations. Are they cheering alongside you because they believe in the integrity of sport, or are they cheering alongside you because they believe they can use transgender people in sport as a wedge issue to push their transphobic agenda?

TBH it’s perfectly clear that it’s pointing to a post identifying a clash between law and IRFU policy and stating the foundation of law must be better than ideology. If it comes to a clash as anticipated by that post the law will win. Which shows the importance of making law on the basis of making lives as manageable as possible not ideology. That does mean I have an issue with that law.

Sure, it's worth wondering. At the end of the day though I'm not sure that we could say to a biological woman who may get injured by competing against someone who was born male "well I would have done something to protect you but there were some nasty people who would have protected you as a side effect of their hate so I did nothing".

Would this situation change for people if the terminology being used was changed?

So we are calling it "women's rugby" when really the two categories in the sport should be "Open" which is open to everyone and "Female" which is only open to biological females. This way we don't really have a concern about whether or not someone identifies as a woman or a man or both or neither because the categories are actually based on sex. Biological females in their own section to give them a fair chance to have competitive sports and everyone else in an open category. Women can easily compete in the "Open" category if they choose and if they happen to have been born female then they have the option to go for the female category.

If an individual knows that they were born male, has maybe even lived as a man for a time or has gone through puberty as a male then that's their own history and they are aware of this history. There is not real reason why that individual should wish to compete in a sport where they know that the overwhelming majority of participants do not have that history and will be at a serious, potentially dangerous, disadvantage.

The argument, at this point, to me seems to be "it's called women's rugby and this person identifies as a woman so they should play with the other women". Well we know exactly why the sports are segregated to begin with so it's obvious why "women's" sports should be for people born female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I don't think anybody would complain about a woman who was born as a man playing men's rugby. Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes afterall

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Trying to make people feel bad for having an opinion that you disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is completely missing the point. The tenet of the IRFU's ruling is based on peer reviewed science on the issue. Which I assume i physiological differences between a transgender woman and a female in the general sense.

A quick internet search and I found the following peer reviewed article -

Transgender Women in the Female Category of Sport: Perspectives on Testosterone Suppression and Performance Advantage

Where the following was found -

"[T]he performance gap between males and females becomes significant at puberty and often amounts to 10-50% depending on sport. The performance gap is more pronounced in sporting activities relying on muscle mass and explosive strength, particularly in the upper body. Longitudinal studies examining the effects of testosterone suppression on muscle mass and strength in transgender women consistently show very modest changes, where the loss of lean body mass, muscle area and strength typically amounts to approximately 5% after 12 months of treatment. Thus, the muscular advantage enjoyed by transgender women is only minimally reduced when testosterone is suppressed. Sports organizations should consider this evidence when reassessing current policies regarding participation of transgender women in the female category of sport."

--

Australian Transgender Guidelines for Sport, Part 1: Biological Perspectives, Fairness, and Physical Safety in Women's Sport.

"Although such research is in its infancy, findings point to ongoing superiority of TW's performance and innate biological advantages compared to cis women, despite lowered testosterone with hormone suppression therapy. We assert that sports bodies should pay greater heed to the biological facts and continue to seek research to support participation policies. In the meantime, we argue that the current transgender participation guidelines be withdrawn, and that sports organizations explore other fairer solutions to facilitate inclusive participation for trans athletes."

--

Basically the science says trans women have an unfair competitive on general females, and in sports like Rugby there is further safety issue. Think of it from a female rugby players perspective, you train hard in your sport get to a high level. All of sudden a transwoman is parachuted in and is unplayable as an opponent. I am thinking of Jonah Lomu if he had decided to become a transwoman and play female rugby what would have happened?

-

Also has anyone asked the two trans people that play female rugby within the IRFU what they think? It seems to me that a lot of people to be speaking on their behalf, but no one knows their views.

Are they happy enough to be able to play tag Rugby with the women? Or would they be willing to run to play in males Rugby?

--

I really don't see the fuss overall, it is not as if the two individuals are completely prevented from participating in Rugby completely.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

By the exact same logic, couldn't you equally say that the people on the other side are using it as a wedge to push their own agenda too?

How am I trying to make people feel bad for having an opinion I disagree with?

God damn those people and their willingness to…

*checks notes*

…accept trans people for who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nobody is saying they shouldn't be accepted for who they are.

The agenda is people ignoring the basic facts of the issue to turn it into something it is not.

Just like <checks notes> you keep doing.

• Advertisement

You know EXACTLY what you are doing!

"I'd look at the type of person who's cheering on this ban alongside you and ask myself if they are credible people and if they make good bedfellows."

The implication being that if you agree with the ban then you are choosing to align yourself with some horrible people. So maybe just shut the hell up incase you get tarred with the same brush, eh?

You know exactly what game you are playing there and so does everyone else and that's why you are being called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's quite worrying to see so much support for transwomen to play in women's rugby. The rugby Forum on reddit is completely full of it too.

The common defence seems to be "there's already physical mismatches in men's rugby and no one cares".

If that's the case, why have under 20s age groups? Why have women's sports at all? Just base it on weights or physical size? Is this what people want? To take the away the chances for women to play in world cups or six nations?

The people I described as using this as a wedge issue are very much doing that. Please, if you're going to respond to me don't create strawmen.

So maybe just shut the hell up incase you get tarred with the same brush, eh?

This is also a strawman. You are deliberately misrepesenting my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

There's more to it than that even. I've played a good few summer tag rugby tournaments in Cork clubs over the last 5-10 years. The non-contact elements allows for men and women to play together without unduly compromising the safety of all players. But there is an element of positive discrimination also, in that in any tag rugby tournament I've played in there is double points awarded to women's tries. This is undoubtedly put in place to make the game more equitable and an acknowledgement that even without contact, men are biologically predisposed to being more athletic than women. The key of course to doing well in these tournaments is to have some rugby playing women on your team or women of a sporty/athletic disposition. But that's a transgression to the point at hand.

Rugby is an extreme case due to the contact element of the game. I'm glad the IRFU have taken a sensible decision to protect the safety of rugby playing women. Another parallel I've seen is GAA. When I was a lad, boys and girls played in the same team to u13 level. After which the sport was segregated based on biological sex. Presumably due to the fact that the boys would undergo pubescent changes at that age which would result in their physical strength and athleticism far surpassing that of their female counterparts. Again, a pragmatic and sensible decision by the GAA.

Golf is another example. A totally non contact sport where biological males have a huge advantage over females. I doubt the likes of Leona Maguire and other LPGA stars would be pleased if transgender people who were biologically male could compete against them. Tennis would be similar.

Biological sex and gender are two different things. In the interests of fairness, equality and safety, sport should be segregated based on sex or at least into mixed and female only categories. Transgender people need to be accepted in society and I accept this is a sensitive issue for transgender people. However, this sort of rubbish on twitter by that rugby club is only unhelpful background noise.

It's possible that people simply want trans-role models or sporting idols and so on. Let's be honest, if trans-women are allowed to play in women's rugby then it's only a matter of time before they would absolutely dominate the sport. Everybody knows this.

So it kind of makes sense because banning them from women's sports basically removes their chance to have any real success in sports at all and this means that "trans kids" aren't really going to have proper trans role models. I am sure that they don't want to be stuck with "content creators" on YouTube and anonymous whiners on Twitter as their role models forever.

Unfortunately, having this in sports would come at the expense of girls having proper female role models. When your "sportswoman of the year" award is only ever going to be won by a woman who has gone through transition then this is also exclusionary.

This clash between TERFS and Trans was always going to happen as soon as it became obvious that a child male could grow into an adult male and then identify as a woman and steal a female's spot.

It's a dilemma that won't ever be resolved. Just now it seems like the attitude online is that "sports aren't important so just let people compete with whoever they want". That's a real shame for anyone born female who aspires to be the best they can be at any given sport. Imagine competing your whole life for that spot on the national team but some mediocre player who identified as a guy until a year ago just swaggers in and takes that place with ease. That's a sacrifice people are willing to make for equality. Except it isn't equality at all. It certainly isn't fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's possible that people simply want trans-role models or sporting idols and so on. Let's be honest, if trans-women are allowed to play in women's rugby then it's only a matter of time before they would absolutely dominate the sport. Everybody knows this.

For what its worth, I really don't think this is remotely true. The numbers just aren't really there. In an individual sport the argument might hold a bit more water.

But the fairness and safety elements are relevant even if it is just a small number of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What was your point?

I read the same as the others in your original post and asking if they were the bedfellows people want was clearly trying to put all people who disagree with you in one basket.

You conveniently leave out that women who play rugby are also against playing with transwomen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And if they are what difference do you think it should make? Your argument appears to ultimately boil down to "bad people agree with you so you must not be right". I don't know what to do with that.

I wouldn't support most other parts of their agenda. I don't think this was the most pressing matter racing sports bodies, but clearly it is something they are choosing to start addressing now and it appears to have support from the female players that it is design to protect and is backed up as much as is possible by science.

• Advertisement

Advertisement