Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

I want the money but will it be worth the hassle at all?

I'm not going out spot spraying thistles/docks ffs.....bad for my back, wallet, morale you name it.....the fact that I suspect its nonsense makes it harder to swallow....

If it can be scientifically justified I'd have less of a problem but for that kind of bull I nearly think I'd rather have more control on my working time on my property that I paid through the nose for .....it feels more and more like you are a slave at the whims of jobsworths................and the money on offer ain't great ........ they should at least be made justify what they are at and have it held up to some scrutiny rather than seemingly making stuff up as they go along to reduce payments but still remove any autonomy......there's too much inertia too.....every mam and his dog knows calendar farming is the height of nonsense but there it is every year sitting in the corner waiting to **** you over..

There's too much jnterference to our longterm detriment the way things are going.....im beginning to think we would be better off not taking the money and exerting a little more influence on our businesses rather thsn have industry groups/various vested interests and people it wont affect materially make decisions for us............

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

I did it recently, you’ll have to find someone else to bring you😂, it’s worth it to see the dexters alone if you haven’t seen them already, they’re some sight to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭blackbox

I guess the reason for the negative scoring for docks, thistles, etc. is so that they don't give money to people who aren't actively farming and have just let their land go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

No, they’re too quiet for my liking, i’ll stick to the Limousins and Salers for now🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Silverdream

You hit the nail there. Its all these vested interests who now have a say on how to farm. I think you'll be signing up for a big entourage of these feckers trapesing across the farm planning, judging and directing you while taking a good chunk of money for doing nothing. And then if the day is too cold to go walking farms they can now use the big camera in the sky spot the rushers or see if you are spreading fertilizer.

I think they've squeezed the last egg out of the poor old goose now.

Is letting it go not kind of the point🤔..low input pasture..biodiversity and all that

I can top in late late summer after all the auld biodiversity has had its wicked way with each other in the great orgy of spring/summer but they want to incentivise a lad going out with a knapsack......its cracked if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

my understanding is nettles and thistles are a sign of high nitrogen content......if you want to encourage wildflowers etc you cut the grass and remove it, thereby removing nutrients from the soil.....wildflowers dont like high nitrogen etc

someone who has neglected the land, depending on how they neglected it, ie if they never fertilised it etc could get the highest payment for having the most positive identifiers

I have one small place that has been neglected......and If I neglect it anymore you'll be talking about a sea of ragworth, thistles, docks nettles.......it hasn't gotten nitrogen since I can remember ....

But I tidy it up by topping and pulling the ragworth, would be interesting to get soil tested

Don’t know about nettles but we’ve fields with thistles that have got very little fertilizer in the last 20+ years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Thistles will grow naturally on dry ground & if present in a intensive farm, they will be sprayed if a problem in number's. Nettles are manure reliant.no one should be attempting to justify such nonsense of thistles present in pasture for lipp being regarded as a negative indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The recon around these parts that it takes good fattening land to grow thistles... and from what I can see that appears to be true.

Has anyone looked their eligibility on Dafm, see we’re outside of a marked area, does that mean we can’t get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Reality though is you'd want to be having a lot of cattle to make up that money

Oh you are probably right......but if you value your time and the hassle and how much of it you will have when they screw you out of it with marking/scoring schemes after you've put in time/effort investment complying

That's what has me wondering if it will be worth it this time.....some of the proposed stuff goes agsinst the science afaics.....There's a breakdown in trust when it comes to me given some of the stuff that happened in the past with bad advice etc when I was taking over from my father......

Added to that is a malicious fantasy that if lot opted out instead of rushing headlong in .... powers that be might be forced to come back to the table with a better offer.....or at least scientific justification for what they are at....answers to questions about broader implications/other industries etc

My gut tells me we should be attempting to have a little more control on our destinies than giving it away but I suppose I know in the end I'll be forced to follow the herd or lose out......you would wonder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The budget allocation for ACRES is €1.5 billion.

The total payments adds up to a max of €525 million (50k participants @ €10.5k max payment each).

That leaves €975 million for administration etc, is that the usual ratio for these schemes: 1 for you, 2 for them

As pointed out below, it's probably €300 million per annum for 5 years = €1.5 billion

Post edited by Ten Pin on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭minerleague

Two types of entry , general and co-operation, marked areas are the latter ( I'm in this ) so you are in first one. On IFJ payment rates shown - planting trees around farmyard looks might suit some. ( over2k for 0.5ha max -- 0.18 ha minimum )

If that's accurate I'd bet our dear media won't be clamouring to ask them why that is? .... somehow I cant see Cooper, Cuddihy, McInerney et al demanding any answers to that 🙃

The above is what I'm afraid the scheme might be.........I think a valid point is made about farmers timevand I think another point should be made re govt side having to justify negative scoring on things explicitly

If they are justified then there shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Chatting to my ag advisor about this recently...he doesnt know if he will do this scheme....seems to be alot of bullshìt in it....he doesnt fancy going around playing the bad cop...marking down farmers scores etc....

Dont blame him...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's actually a lot worse than that.

In terms of payment, ACRES General offers a maximum payment of €7,311 per applicant per calendar year, with an expected average payment (based on 30,000 participants in this approach) in the region of €5,000.

Actual payment rates will be based on the actions selected and their satisfactory implementation.

ACRES Co-operation will offer a maximum payment of €10,500 per applicant per calendar year.

So this means 150 million for 30,000 farmers and let's be generous and say 10k for 20,000 so another 200 million so 350 million in total leaves 1.15 billion for something or other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Going to take a look at the actions/options when they’re finalised and if there’s a few that suit me and the farm, then I might aim for €3-4k worth.

If it looks more hassle than it’s worth, then I’ll ignore the whole lot and keep one less bureaucratic headache off the agenda.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

He doesn't have to be bad cop, just mark it properly. I can't see any advisors let the big money go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

About time .The number of farmers that fraudulently claimed money is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

If in the Coop based scheme you have to choose either

Extensively grazed pasture

or

low input grass land.

I think low input grass land is results based where they look for positive and negative indicators etc. Up to 400/ha.

What is the definition of extensively grazed pasture? Is that results based? 200 per ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hard to argue with much of that - the lack of interest or ambition by DAFM to properly reward farmers doing positive stuff for farmland biodiversity appears to be still with us despite nearly 30 years of them administering such schemes. AFAIK the EU has already expressed a number of "reservations" over ACRES in their initial assessment back in May, so we will find out in a month or so what the final conclusion is after the latest version gets looked at in Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Whatever about the crowd here I wouldn’t have much faith in the unelected eu beurocrats. Look at the joke of a situation with the designations. Land designated that is not a suitable habitat but it’s a box ticked. I shouldn’t say joke as it’s far more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Separate issue that - in any case the land designations here were based on info the Irish authorities sent into Brussels. Again alot of this comes back to the lack of expertise in such matters within the likes of DAFM, Teagasc etc - and even where it is present it is often ignored to suit vested interests with a strong lobbying presence within the main political parties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Ah yes that makes sense, it must be 1.5 billion over the 5 years not per year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I didn’t realise all the actions were listed at the back of the Journal this week. They are well laid out and easy to follow in terms of min and max amounts, dates for completion, and payment rates.

Having gone thru them just now, I don’t think I’ll join. It’s all about trees and birds, which is to be expected I guess! I picked out a few possibilities for the farm here but I’d struggle to get to any more than €2k without making bigger changes. There’s plenty little groves and hedgerows here already so no real obvious blank space for more of them.

Related question: Can anyone confirm that you need to pay an advisor to submit your application every year?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement