Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Someone mentioned Ukrainian cars over here. What's the story with insurance of these cars. If one of these cars crashes into you can you claim on their insurance? I've come across a case where a motorcyclist was hit by a Ukrainian registered car. And it's an unbelievable clusterfuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

They were portrayed as racist by other politicians and the media at the time so all points they were making could be ignored. They had to stop making their points to save their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I disagree with the last point. Grealish could have kept going and he'd be reelected.

The expulsion from FG is one of the reasons Murphy got elected.

They might face a media backlash but provided they don't go overboard would be reelected

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Any more info you can share about the crash between UA and motorbike? Just out of curiosity on how it would be handled.

They've been at the beach all week sunning it up whilst we are at work paying their lifestyles and the amount of UA reg cars around now is growing and growing weekly. Supposedly they don't even need Irish driving license any more, they can just flash their UA one.

If you’ve actually come across it, surely you know the answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Yeah, the Ukrainian driver who was at fault wanted to claim off the bikers insurance. Which I find incredible. The biker was told by the guards to go to the uninsured bureau.

So if a Ukrainian registered car crashes in to you today, I don't fancy your chances of claiming against their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So much for those who said the student accommodation being used by refugees was only temporary until the colleges reopened. Then of course we always had a shortage of student accommodation so it doesn't make any difference. Same as we always had health service issues so adding another 50,000 all of a sudden makes no difference, same with a lack of school places, we'll have no problem all of a sudden finding places for our new arrivals.

I can imagine parents ringing in shows in the autumn saying how they have no school places for their kids but guarantee no one will mention the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And any lads like this should be rounded up and deported immediately back to Ukraine to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭golondrinas

No thank you very much I not like to work hard for 50 euro for week. Stay here for 203 per week for do nothing . I love the choice of menu handed me 3 times a day. Lovely peoples hear and very friendly and hand tings for free. Don’t blame me blame your govmenrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Landlords have been doing this for, well, years. There are plenty of threads on boards defending the poor landlords who engage in this practice, too (i.e., evicting someone to get a higher rent from someone else). It's one of the reasons we've been having housing protests in Dublin. Had you been to any up in Donegal, previously?

Admittedly, it's usually "small" landlords telling tenants "I need the place for my nephew, he's starting college", then the place is back on the market a week or a month later, with an extra couple of hundred a month on the rent. The only difference this time is it's accommodation that was supposed to be specifically for students.

It's still been covered on the news that 3,000 Ukrainians currently in student accommodation will be moved elsewhere before the start of the academic year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

To anyone that thinks we should keep taking them in - should we take in the same amount as every country in the EU, or should we take in more, or less?

Not that I should expect an answer, as Leo hasn't yet produced a reply for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Where will they be moved to ? You would think if the people in charge had places they would be shouting it from the rooftops you know to stop them looking bad and having zero clue. I wager I know what will happen. It will be said they don't want to move. Settled and alike. Anyone questioning that must be a monster. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Years ago while I was in college I worked in b&b that only took people from the eastern health board. I worked out the owner of the place was making over a million a year from it and this was twenty years ago. It’s was only family’s/couples/women. They present themselves as homeless and get put in a b&b while on the housing list and still get full welfare. Men were sent to hosels.

There needs to be an investigation into who owns these. It’s a money spinner for them. The government have just expanded this to include anyone that claims to be Ukrainian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

£41 ? thought UK JSA was £60 something. Are they misleading or saying they are on some other rate ? I'm sure those on the dole in the UK would love to go somewhere too but even on £60 odd per week not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Most of us on here with a brain could see this "short term solution" was really a long term plan (or lack of).

The same flag wavers backing Ukrianinan immigration were either clueless (that war won't be over in a few weeks) or are part of the NGO's that are getting our hard earned cash (tax) in donations.

Either way we need to stop them controlling this somehow. We can't just wait to boot this idiotic government out, we must do something before that. We (concerned tax payers) and parent's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We just need to make up our mind what we need to do for the wellbeing of Irish people, taxpayers and citizens and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Nothing I would like to see more than the whole lot of them get kicked out on their asses. But who will replace them? Think the shinners will be any better. We are fcuked either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Think **** faint would actually be worse and I hate the present government

I, for one, look forward to our new fascist overlords.

Once you've decided what's best for us, like... 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It doesn’t appear to have occurred to @Strumms that he’s already part of the group that nobody cares what they think 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You might well get them. Fascists exploit situations like this. They can stir up resentment and point to all the problems created by these situations. There is a generation being thrown into this mess that will be moulded by the current situation. It’s very easy to be blasé when you are not having your life choices impacted by these decisions. There is nothing wrong with immigration when it’s handled properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

113 Ukranians have just moved into the student accommodation in Donegal so I thinks its fair to say they won't be going anywhere soon. Thats a lot of rooms gone in a small area. I'll be surprised if too many of that 3,000 get moved given theres nowhere for them to and there are more arriving every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Life pretty much back to normal bar the eastern hotspots. Apart from the millions of “refugees” off on their welfare Joliers around Europe. The ones here will have lots of ready cash to wire back to the babushkas they so bravely abandoned back home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

the Russian sanctions will be next. Just watch. Neither side can afford to keep this nonsense up forever

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

its called having an opinion, welcome to boards.ie… where you’ll probably encounter a few more, opinions ;)

Yup, that landlord is clearly going his own way, and devil take the hindmost. The Red Cross and local authorities will be stepping up their efforts, so we're told, and they will also be housing refugees under canvas in Gormanstown.

Ironic, given my reply was to your statement "to hell with what anyone else thinks." 🙄

Ah, the daily "sure it's only the east of Ukraine that's in any kind of bother" post.

No, life is not pretty much "back to normal bar the eastern hotspots".

First, many millions are internally displaced and are being accommodated in western Ukraine.

But secondly, there have been many missile attacks on civilian targets, including those in "safe" "non-combat" areas. If your country was being illegally invaded, would you be happy moving your family from Dublin to Limerick, because Limerick is probably going to be safe?

How short people's memories are. It's literally only a couple of months since the 64km-long RuAF convoy was approaching Kyiv. They got as close as 30km from the centre of Kyiv and only aren't there now because of the fierce resistance they encountered combined with luck with the weather bogging down their main convoy.

• Odesa is on the Black Sea but nowhere near Donbas - repeatedly attacked with cruise missiles.
    • Vinnytsia is in central Ukraine - attacked with rockets last month.
    • Kremenchuk is also in central Ukraine, nowhere near a combat zone. A shopping mall attacked with missiles, during the day.
    • Dnipropetrovsk: 13 civilians were killed by Russian strikes in the Dnipropetrovsk region in central Ukraine this week. Twelve of the victims were killed in strikes on the village of Marganets, on the other side of the Dnieper River from the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant

There are many more examples.

Finland and Sweden are now clamoring to join NATO. Why? Because they don't trust Russia to confine their expansion to the Donbas region (after they'd already annexed Crimea!). I think ordinary Ukrainian citizens, then, are perfectly justified in not hanging around in what boardsies deem to be "safe" areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Needs several tented communities - the Curragh would be handy. Move majority refugees into these and free up student accommodation and the public purse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement