Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,723 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Reminds me of the death rattle days of Oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭crl84

If you go to Ticketmaster, go to the tickets, and then down the bottom click "I need help with my order" and then request a refund on there. Just tell them that the newly date don't suit you. They usually respond within a few hours and have the money back to you within a few days.

Usually only works for tickets you bought prior to the event being re-scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

There was a time during the pandemic I made a comment that I was so starved for gigs that I’d even go see the 2 johnnies. I had the support of the posters here…it was a dark time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ok alls not lost…..I think Jerry fish might salvage this….mother djs will be there and maybe something happens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DH1978

So the replacement for othervoices was a stage sponsored by three in 2019 - is that stage still there this year - haven't seen it mentioned at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Seems like it'll be the last trip for a few of us, so let's make it one mighty hooley!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

Made me laugh.

They say there is a market niche for everyone, but i’d be very interested in an IQ survey of the 2 Jonnies- gig attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Good question, they made a proper go of it in 2019, lovely stage well kitted out, but my issue is it’s out of the way, you can’t just nip in between acts. It’s a tall order to have some relatively unknown in a small stage hidden away on at the same time as a headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,723 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In centuries to come the baffling popularity and continued success of the 2 Johnnies will be dissected by historians. They'll look at these times in the same bewildered way we look at the Salem witch trials. It will ultimately be a shocking indictment of the human race in the early 21st century. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Brexit accounts for some acts touring mainland Europe and cutting out the UK with Ireland as collateral. Where are the impressive young Irish acts that should have been added (Murder Capital, NewDad, Altered Hours, etc) or older ones we'd happily welcome (SLF, Undertones, Christy Moore). UK acts also have less trouble travelling here due to the Common Travel area than on the continent so why have so few good ones been added? Smacks of a cutting corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

erm.. where's the lovely Cathy?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭crl84

Not to mention Vogue Williams and Joanne McNally's podcast being in the same section, higher than plenty of decent musical acts....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yes, Gemma Donleavy annouced shes playing there today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

That is a turgid excuse of a big announcement. At least we won't have to worry about clashes I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭antfin

I haven't worked out the percentage of Irish acts that I saw at ATN but it was a fair few to supplement the headliners. The 3 examples that you gave above were included plus Gilla Band, CMAT, Melts, Enola Gay, Thumper, Jessie Buckley and Bernard Butler, Soda Blonde, Pillow Queens and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Most of those could have been added without breaking the bank so I guess FR have made a conscious decision on the direction they want to go and the target demographic. I'd be tempted to attend to see how Fontaines DC do as a headliner but I don't think there's enough in there to get me to brave the masses of teenagers throughout the weekend. On the otherside, I've already got a few people at work putting dibbs on my tickets so they're pleasing some people... so it's just a question of taste I suppose.

On a side note, I'd would imagine that a teen/ early 20s punter spends far less over the weekend. I know for my group, the ticket price is probably the minimal part of the expense for the weekend when we're ploughing through every food stall in the place and keeping the bars busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

And also on the main poster. Seems to be a lot of names appearing twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

What do you reckon the Arctic Monkeys' fee is? Did they, Tame Impala and Megan Thee Stallion break the bank? With 70k tickets sold I wouldn't like to think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I was lucky to catch some of these from the Spanish line up but over the duration of three different festivals over June and end of July.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I had to take time to reflect after that announcement. I first went to EP in 2005 and haven't missed one since. In that time there has not been a major announcement as woeful as this afternoon's, singularly the worst (and blandest) collection of acts this festival has ever unleashed on us. I think that Jerry Fish will add a few decent ones, particularly if his increased capacity allows the likes of Something Happens, Ash or SLF. However we're now looking at the Picnic's greatest capacity by far (and thus greatest budget) with possibly its worst lineup of all. The proportion of good acts to bland is heavily skewered towards the latter and I don't remember it being so unbalanced before? In the worst years of Oxegen they had acts like The Who, Blur, REM, The Cure Daft Punk, Eminem, Strokes, etc. There is no one of that pedigree at EP 2022. For good reason I'll ignore the comparison between undercards.

There are plenty of acts I'll enjoy there and I'll have a blast and it'll be great to share pints with you guys. It won't be my last EP as there'll be a year in the future when the stars align again and some unmissable act(s) reappear. There's too much good stuff at the Picnic to write it off but I'll give it a miss next year and not bother with the loyalty booking. ATN doesn't greatly appeal so I'll head to Pohoda in Slovakia again (€109 tickets - Bad Seeds, Libertines, Slowthai and others this year) and spend my cash at the Galway Arts Fest and some outdoor gigs in Dublin or elsewhere. These Charming Men may be missing an audience in 2023.

Those are exactly the type of acts I was hoping for so it feels like some poor decision-making has been made on balancing the lineup. CMAT will be there plus probably a couple of others on Jerry Fish's stage but 2022 (with a lack of touring North Americans and Antipodeans) felt like an opportunity to highlight the very best Irish acts. And that clearly hasn't happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I'll refer to my post a few pages back. The year New Order played there were 9 acts i wanted to see all weekend. 6 of them clashed.

Never thought i'd see you make a post like this Seathrun (not having a pop but you usually manage to put some positive spin on it no matter how **** i personally think something might be!) It must definitely be truly desperate times.

It's like they're not even trying anymore. Glastonbury might be all things to all men but it generally keeps everyone happy across the genres and age groups. EP are just taking the piss it seems. We don't even get cake, it's more a case of "Let them eat ****". And be glad of it.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So what stages have yet to announce, Fishtown, Hazelwood, Mind & Body (the new B&S area) will they get a line up comparable with previous Body & Soul ones, Red Bull Stage and various other side shows.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Doubtful. Acts may have charged more because of the increased costs of travel and accommodation in 2022 but that'll easily have been offset by the increased ticket prices and increased numbers. One or two significant acts were easily within the reach of FR. I often defend them but not today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Fanirish

For the 6 headline acts in 2022 the collective fees would be in the €2 -€4m range.

As it was disclosed back in 2013 due to the court case the killers were paid €500,000 to be a headliner in 2012.

Headliner fees have only increased since then.

artics fee would be in €750k - €1m range

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

You know what I'd love is a "mystery guest slot".....where there's a completely blank main stage with a countdown and anyone could appear.....arcade fire, KOL, chemical brothers, Lionel Richie, RATM....I mean anyone<insert your favourite act here>!!

But it's a complete secret and the people who are there get rewarded.

With all the tickets I see getting flogged today due to the poor announcement it would be a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Out for the day. Just saw that. Sweet divine Jesus. My eyes are bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I just can't figure out the strategy of this years PR/announcements! Why oh Why hold back for "that" one big announcement. Something must have fallen through, this looks like a last minute effort. I joked earlier in the week about it being the "Saw Doctors" 🙄

Lets be honest, if you're promoting you have to be positive, you can't come out and say "Here's the line up, it's a bit ****", you need to dress this up, if you don't have 'a lot to work with' in terms of acts, they can be subtly and disguise a certain amount.

No reason why for the past 2 months they couldn't have had a low key announcement every week! Balance pop, with Indie, electronic and save the perceived best for last.

But no what EP did today was akin to saying "I'm going to show you all my Huge, massive, gigantic penis in the town square this Friday" " pulls out a 2.5"incher"

I agree. Glasto manages to get it right - loads of unappealing pop balanced out with young indie acts and the very best of older artists. The balance has definitely tipped towards the bland this year and I can't see that ever shifting back. That doesn't mean there won't be great lineups in the future, but they'll be far rarer.

• Advertisement

Advertisement