Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In work we deal with a particular country where this is endemic and the amount of absolute chaos this causes is unreal. Stuff breaking all the time because the aircon fails, the hardware fails , all round **** show, coming to the emerald isle soon..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

"Only the holders of existing authorisations can keep going but they can't sit on their hands with it so either get it developed or it expires or they relinquish it. In other words, put up or shut up"

They can't do anything but sit on their hands -- right now Ryan's department is taking over a year to issue a permit for the smallest tugbout to set sail. What's going to happen is he will end up getting sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Isn’t it brilliant dacor.

Id say you are delighted with the thoughts of extended blackouts.

edit

On reflection that’s unfair.

No one wants blackouts

Post edited by tom1ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In February 2020 we didn't even know what COVID was yet 2 years later most of the planet is vaccinated. There is a lot of work going on in all areas of renewables and what you see in 2022 will very likely be different, even in 2025. It has the same urgency as the vaccines, albeit over a longer timescale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There is an economic problem to consumers and energy providers to consider as well. Some of the data centres have got permission for direct lines from wind and solar generators, so they are ahead of the curve and can fall back to their own generators to make up the shortfall. The problem for the rest of us is the increased load on the grid anticipated with increased roll-out of heat pumps, and electric vehicles combined together with the closure of anreserve generating power. The price of an increasingly scarce commodity will keep rising. Imagine if you will, a situation where 20% of a providers customers cannot pay their bill after a Winter season, some of those energy providers will go bust. To manage this situation the government will allow the energy companies to use the smart meters and put those who cannot pay on pay-go systems.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

Being a map nerd, I love this

Hand-drawn maps of Irish peatlands, dating from the early 1800s, are being used to identify agricultural areas that may be suitable for re-wetting, thus, helping Ireland achieve its climate-mitigation targets.

Trinity College Dublin (TCD) and National University Ireland (NUI) Galway researchers are heading up the RePeat project, a three-year initiative co-funded by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

They are using peatland maps created by the Bog Commission between 1809-1814, to identify present-day agricultural areas and boundaries that are located on what were, originally, peatlands.

They will digitise and geo-reference these maps, which will, eventually, contribute to the creation of land-use change and emission inventories.

“So, the aim [of the RePeat project] is to identify land that was formerly peatland that would be suitable for re-wetting because peatland that has been converted to a grassland or a forest or some other land use, and that has been drained, is emitting a lot of CO2 [carbon dioxide],” Dr. Connolly said.

"There is a lot of work going on in all areas of renewables and what you see in 2022 will very likely be different, even in 2025."

Nobody's going to upend the basic laws of thermodynamics in the next three years. Grid-scale energy storage is not coming in the next twenty years. If the Greens weren't swivel-eyed zealots and actually cared about protecting our energy infrastructure, they'd be investigating radical new breakthroughs like the Allam Cycle which allows hydrocarbons to be burned economically with 100% CO2 capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I think I may have mentioned to you that when it comes to RTE I gave up on any chance of interviewers questioning anything to do with green ideology. A case in point being this week another green talking head came up with the hokum if we put our minds to it that energy storage within the next 5 years would solve all the problems without him being even asked how that was possible. Not overly surprised at that. When you are employed by a state broadcaster where the state communications minister is also the energy minister asking questions might not be a great career move. Especially when the head of organisation had his knuckled wrapped and had to make a public apology for the station not mentioning climate change every time sunshine or a shower of rain was mentioned.

Why we would have to wait years for a specific reactor to be designed I have no idea. It`s not a problem in countries that are building nuclear plants. A referendum would speed things up and would have a good chance of being carried as a recent Think Ireland poll found a 50 - 50 split on voters opinion on such a plant, with a 60% of the 18 25 year old group in favour. The age group coincidentally that were the age group that the Irish Green Party got the highest percentage of their vote from last GE. The palaver on a referendum being divisive was bizarre. When has a referendum not been divisive! None more so that the Right to Life referendums and we survived.

Why the E.U would be a problem I have no idea either. When Germany were driving the whole green agenda of anti nuclear it may have been, but with that plan now not looking to bright. Besides, nuclear is now recognised by the E.U. the same as renewables under their taxonomy regulations and as I said, far as I recall An Taisce went to the E.U. courts attempting to prevent the U.K`a Hinkley point development and got nowhere.

Other than some talking heads on RTE I still do not see where you are getting this 32 years from. But for arguments sake lets say it does take that long. Knowing from world experience it can be achieved by nuclear, when and how do you see us reaching 100% dependable energy from renewables and at what cost. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The South Koreans build them in 10 years, when they have major delays.

"The two reactors at Shin Hanul, however, suffered from various delays and it has taken ten years (from ground breaking, in May 2012) for Shin Hanul 1 to become operational. The original plan had been for it to enter service in April 2017."

Given they now have experience building quite a few of the APR1400 model, including those at Barakah in the UAE, their original goal of 5 years may well be achievable.

Of the 441 nuclear reactors in operation, 374 - or 85% of them - were built in 10 years or less. 18 reactors were built in 3 years, which is the time scale of offshore wind farm projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Meanwhile 95% of the electricity generation in the country right now is from fossil fuels. The mind boggles that were ploughing ahead with the wind fantasy with absolutely zero alternative being considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The more I read this thread the more it makes sense to have nuclear plants providing electricity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The increase in demand is manageable if we can 'peak shave'

By 2030 we will have lots more capacity and lots more storage and there will be grid services that can maximise our generation capacity.

Right now we have to over engineer our grid to provide the energy needed at the peak demand with a surplus contingency for unexpected shortfalls in supply or spikes in demand. By 2030 we may have more overall energy demand but EVs and Heat Pumps will be working during off peak hours to use the capacity we have installed but aren't utilising

We will also have thousands of additional MW of micro generation and storage on top of the grid scale utilities.

Batteries and PV are getting better and cheaper all the time

Grid scale Flow batteries can be built in months if we make the decision to deploy then (or incentivise the private sector to do so)

We don't need millions of tonnes of batteries

We don't need 10 days of 100% backup either.

Wind, Solar, Interconnectors, hydrogen, biogas, Geothermal, Hydro and some storage.

A big interconnected grid is very resilient and requires nowhere near the levels of storage you talk about.

Ireland couldn't do it alone and have energy security, but the same can be said about any other electricity/energy source you care to talk about. Lots of studies have shown 100% renewable by 2050 is feasible.

Nuclear isn't required but existing nuclear will help reduce emissions during the transition period

https://innovationorigins.com/en/researchers-agree-the-world-can-reach-a-100-renewable-energy-system-by-or-before-2050/

Which grid is currently using flow batteries built in months?

Li-ion batteries are not improving at much of a rate, nor is their cost dropping fast enough, to allow wind plus batteries to ever be cheaper than nuclear. The cost decline curve for Li-ions has them being still 50% too expensive to compete, 30 years from now.

Here's a synopsis on research on 100% renewable

from here

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9837910

Lithium Ion is being replaced with LFP (LiFePO4) in many applications (including some Tesla car batteries).

1. It's cheaper and uses less rare and expensive elements

2. It's safer. Much reduced risk of fires

3. Supply chain is less tarnished by ethical problems around nickel and Cobalt.

4. Much longer life span

LFP will be replaced by Sodium Ion batteries for utilities where weight is not an issue. Sodium Ion batteries are real working tech today and cost 30%-50% less than LFP batteries and have a higher energy density and use the more abundant Sodium instead of Lithium

So that's none then. I didn't say 'currently' for fun.

Australia have piloted flow batteries and they were so successful that they've ordered enough to support the construction of mass production facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Are they the batteries that are mad expensive and full of corrosive liquids ?

• Advertisement

Can you formulate that as a sensible question please?

I've given you the link that explains the technology that is being 'ramped up'

If you think it's worse than what we have now then please explain why

I'm not playing that game you know full well what's wrong with the technology.

Lol

Yeah but we don't tend to liquify it in large amounts risking it being released into the ground water, crops. I think Just cos it did not use sulfuric acid or other heavy metals it was assumed safe. ferrous chloride is pretty nasty stuff.

Have you seen oil refineries or nuclear spent fuel facilities? Iron is not anywhere as toxic as what we already have and we know how to manage it

60mg of iron will kill you most lightly. Just because something is more toxic dose not remove the toxicity. Especially if it gets into ground water or food. And these batteries will be massive. A large spill would be just as destructive as an oil one. Vegetation, wildlife, Food all toxic.

Great! Lots of research papers and tech that has barely made it off the laboratory bench. Historically, energy systems take a century to replace. What about the next ten years -- what specifically are we going to do in Ireland, and what will it cost? This whole thing has the semblance of a giant experiment with people's livelihoods at stake. You know this country's track record with infrastructure projects, even ones that don't involve large doses of hopium. I've no objection to a sensibly thought out energy transition. I do object to being a rat trapped in Eamon Ryan's maze. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could kick him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The question was, “In what county in Ireland should a nuclear power plant be built”, not when.

Advertisement