Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Licence lost in the post

• 28-01-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭

So recently i went through the application process to get my licence renewed. No issue with the application process all went smoothly, except for the fact after 4 weeks my licence never arrived.

So i call up the NDLS to inquire where my licence was. I get asked for some personal details due to data protection reasons and because the licence is a legal document. Fine i give the details and i get told my licence was,

"dispatched and as it had not arrived in the post within 10 working days we would consider it lost in the post"

So i go on and say what do you mean lost in the post, does it not get sent via registered post so it can be tracked as it is a "legal document" an all. The answer was no it is sent via standard post.

This seems very strange to me, i wonder how many permits/licences get lost in the post, these are proper ID's that would be very welcome by the wrong pair of hands for Identity theft.

Either something fishy is going on in the NDLS where they are hoping the driver does not contact them within the 12 weeks and has to pay €35 for a replacement or their is some dodgy dealings going on with some an Post employees selling off the licences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

The post is very much on the catastrophe syndrome scenario!

Maybe, just maybe it did actually get lost?

Maybe it was incorrectly dropped into someone else's letterbox. Maybe it didn't even get sent due to an internal error.

These days the licence has photo printed into the card, so its useless for anyone else unless you have a twin. And far far easier to pickpoket someone's wallet than to go to all the hassle of stealing post which has extreme penalties far in excess of those of pickpocketing.

So maybe forget the catastrophe scenario and just accept that now and then an item will get lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What are you looking for OP? Are they replacing your card FOC?

If they are, then I'd imagine it's just lost in the post. No real need for a conspiracy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Dodge wrote: »
    What are you looking for OP? Are they replacing your card FOC?

If they are, then I'd imagine it's just lost in the post. No real need for a conspiracy

Yeah i am getting one sent out again, heres hoping this one shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jamie77

Did you ever get the second licence. I have the same issue 4 1/2 weeks later after adding categories to licence they stated that my licence is probably lost in the post also. I know have to get a form stamped by the Garda and once they have that paperwork it can now take up to 15 working days to get sorted. Worst thing is I am stuck at home and can't work until my licence is in my hand. Total disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Similar thing happened to me, waited 2 weeks, didn't arrive, contacted issuer and they confirmed it was sent, went to Garda station and filled in lost form with new application (I think I had to pay the lost fee despite me not losing it), waited about 5 days, the replacement arrived, then about another week after that the original they sent arrived. As they were government issued post there was no stamps so I couldn't verify what date the original actually got sent but it looked more to me like it was never sent in the first place. The replacement gets a code added to it to indicate it's a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

I applied for a license and never arrived. Rang the centre and gave my details. I live in number 82 and licence was sent to 28. Human error these things happen. Replacement was sent out and received 3 days later.

Advertisement