Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Ah the daily nonsense that the hugely vast minority are correct, and it is a danger zone all over.

6.5 million entered the EU throughout the conflict, around half have returned, with up to 3 million still displaced around Europe. Out of a population of 44 million, that works out just over 41 million are in the country. We probably have the same ratio of people currently on holiday throughout Ireland and Europe.

Around 3 million in Europe includes e.g. UK, Norway, Switzerland etc.

So some very rough maths here, that means that Ireland has already taken in roughly 1.6% of them, and that number "Might" rise to 200,000, which would be almost 7% of the current amount which is ludicrous.

If all EU countries were to take in the same amount, that would mean (out of the ones that haven't yet returned) we would all be taking in 3.7% which is 111,000 but would also be grossly unfair, given that some countries are much more equipped to take more, and are closer so easier for them to return/makes more sense.

Remove the refugees that have gone to the non EU countries and that number drops again. Also, the 1.6% we have taken in will rise, as it will both when some go home and when more arrive here.

TL:DR,

Forget that we don't have resources, forget that we are losing money hand over fist handing it out to them for free and it not returning to the economy, forget that we don't have anywhere near the accommodation that is required and as a result our hospitality/tourism sector is losing out massively, so there is also no income.

Mathematically, we have already taken in our fair share, which may very quickly become 'more than' our fair share.

Businesses are opening back up daily, tens of thousands returning daily, and we have already well hit our fair quota of what could be expected of us, yet for some reason they are still arriving in their thousands.. WTF is going on? This cannot still be the EU emergency directive, how does it get halted? FFS, McDonalds and Nike have jobs waiting for them. Incentive to get off the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just seen this evening there is going to be a massive shortage of student accommodation in Letterkenny.

The colleges expecting biggest number of students ever this year and accommodation down by 60%.

Lets just see if any public representative's are big enough to call out this sh##fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I am not claiming it is a danger zone all over. Where did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth.

People are claiming daily that the only danger zones are in the east and/or the south-east. I'm pointing out that a) very recently, that wasn't the case - the main Russian convoy made it to within 30km of Kyiv. It's a war - circumstances change rapidly. And b) there are regular attacks - usually causing civilian casualties - in other regions, especially the south and central Ukraine, areas far away, distance-wise, from the Donbas region.

And that's not to mention the thousands being relocated to Russia against their will, including children. I've posted the links. Have a read.

There are millions of displaced Ukrainians within the country, too.

McDonalds and Nike's prime responsibility is to their shareholders. If they think they can operate and still make a profit in Ukraine, they will. Why wouldn't they.

McDonalds and Nike's prime responsibility is to their shareholders. If they think they can operate and still make a profit in Ukraine, they will. Why wouldn't they.

How can they think that they can make a profit in this war torn country? Who is going to staff it? Who is going to shop in it? Have they forgotten that Europe is at war? Do they not know that many millions are displaced across Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I hope the students set up a tent city on campus as a protest. Not that RTÉ would bother covering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Sure why don't you head over yourself! You're killed telling us how safe it is and how low the cost of living is over there. Sure you could live like a king!

Who would pay me the free money and where would I get the free food and free accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say you see a lot of coincidental “repatriation” back to their “beloved” homeland. Especially if the welfare freebies were rightly stopped immediately.

Anyone remember 09-11 when we were forced to accept severe cuts to welfare spending? People were really struggling. They even tried to cut shamefully disability payments. Here we are now with a pack of utter chancers that never contributed a red fcukin cent to Ireland and not a question asked. An utter scam and sham

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wonder if I rocked up to Citywest and claimed to be a “refugee” like the other 99.99% of refugee scammers would they give me bed and board for the week?

I read an article about this a couple of days ago in the local paper. If my memory serves me well I think the student population was 4k last year and will increase to 5300 this year. There were students from Dublin taking the bus up and down daily 3x per week last year so this year will be a **** show upon a **** show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Tough, they have to find alternative accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ukrainians take precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just talking to a mate there. He's not the full shilling but been on the social housing list for over 8 years. He's been watching it like a hawk and about 6 months ago was down to 21 on the list and then down to 20 recently.

He went in today to see if there's any movement.

He's now been bumped up to the 400's 😂 Just like that.

Poor fucker.

Probably just a coincidence. Who knows 🙅

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Was on the news earlier a number of Ukranians are putting extra pressure on the supplementary social welfare payments. Free accommodation/food/medical/education/travel and full social welfare benefits and yet they still need more. This country is a joke. 60,000 kids waiting 12 months to get occupational therapy appointments and the government pissing money away on a bunch of grifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

SF could be worse, but there's nothing better then politician's (current government) getting their comeuppance. Get them out and if SF are as bad atleast the next one's looking for votes will have to beg us/win us over.

That education thing annoyed me. I've mentioned it 3 times here. Daughter refused local secondary place every year for years. Ukrainians in by the bucket load.

The other one missed out on a place in college because she was 1 point out. Just the 1 for the course she wanted. Spent a year in a PLC to get in which she did. I thought she'd go on a mad one or go travelling and defer and get used to it and just not bother. Fair play to her she stuck it out.

Fair enough she should have studied harder so it's her own fault really.

But then you hear now they're handing out college places to people from Ukraine with minimal entry requirements .

That's a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,445 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why should we have any sympathy for your "mate"? Sitting on his hole for the last 8 years waiting on a "free house" to be handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

At least he was paying tax for 8 years here :)

The resentment will grow and grow till it reaches a tipping point.

Currently it’s the economic migrants coming here for the free everything they can get their hands. Next few months it will be displaced college students who have lost their accommodation. Disappointed parents whose kids miss out on college places while Ukranian kids get them handed to them with full grants.

In the not so distant future, when people see loads of single female parent Ukranian families getting social housing handed to them before Irish people who have been waiting years for. That’s when I think people will say, enough is enough.

We are being taken for absolute fools by our government and the Ukrainians.

You wouldn't want to be making too much of a big deal of that. There is another anti-Ukrainain poster on here who paid zero tax here for the last few years and rocked back to Ireland a few weeks ago and is giving out that their kid can't get a school place in "the district"

If your man is on a waiting list for a house, the tax he will have paid, if any, would be relatively harmless. And definitely less than what he'd have gotten from the State directly and indirectly in that time

• Advertisement

I don't follow trump here so don't see his shite posts. Only the quotes.

Nobody's looking for sympathy.

Just thought I'd point out how odd it was to go from 20 after 8 years to 400 on a housing list.

There must be something strange going on and I wondered does it have anything to do with what's going on here?

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't 🙅

Id say it’s most likely our new Ukrainian friends. They have the exact same entitlements as Irish people now. Biggest housing crisis in the history of this country and they decide to throw another 60,000 on to the list of people looking for a home.

1,500 jobs just announced at Abbotts, the biggest employer in South Donegal. Sorry, no break down of the amount of jobs that are actually going to Donegal. A local developer is building a housing estate in phases which was originally meant to be going to sell on the open market, that never happened. No houses ever came on the open market. The houses have now gone to the local authority, which in turn have handed 3 of these houses to Ukrainians already. I have this on very good authority from local knowledge, just like the article above!

Where do you suppose the workers in Abbotts will live?! You know, the people who get off their back side to go out and work and pay taxes.

Like I keep asking, are Irish people going to keep accepting this ****. Local representatives, keep pressurising them. That's what they're for.

Well sure you're missing out and won't see this then.

I have no sympathy for your scrounger buddy. He has no excuse. The Ukrainians are coming in here having fled a war zone. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt over said proven scrounger.

What your buddy's story really is is indicative of the real reason why many people complain about the Ukrainians. It is because they themselves are on the take with the paw out constantly and fear that that is being threatened now that there are people genuinely in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

You forgot to tell them the so called anti Ukranian (blar blar blar) has come back with bag loads of money too , minted so he is because he didnt pay 50 per cent plus taxes in Ireland because he wasn't living in Ireland.

Thats right you pay tax somewhere else when you live somewhere else, its a hard concept for the small minded envious cretins to grasp. Its really funny how envious and obsessed some folks get with other posters.

If he’s earning enough to pay tax, he’s earning enough to get a mortgage.

“That's a load of bollocks.” As is your post.

Daughter refused place for years, yet it’s the Ukrainians fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Put on your reading specs and try again 'Mary'.

• Advertisement

Maybe all 1500 can just move into those 3 houses when the Ukrainians go back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement