Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview problems?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

I have Saorview on a TCL Android TV. Channels 1 to 6 work fine (RTÉ One, 2, TG4, VMTV’s) and channel 23 (Sky News) is fine. For some weird reason RTÉ one plus 1, 2 plus one, RTÉ jr and RTÉ News all freeze, the picture freezes but the sound carries on. Why is this?...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Weird one alright, normally a fault will be on one frequency or the other, but the channels you list with/without a fault are across the two muxes.

External Saorview network issue or internal TV processing issue.

I would suggest a full power down followed by a retune.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Having similar problems to those mentioned in the thread in the holiday home in Wicklow.

RTE 1 is generally fine but RTE 2 can be real hit & miss, the picture can freeze even though the sound will carry on as normal or just black out. The other channels on the same muxes as RTE 2 also are affected. Its not all the time but often enough to be annoying.

Separately but possibly somewhat related, the satellite channels we had, loads seemed to have disappeared since last summer and those that are there, seem to go in sequence of 1, 5, 7 10 etc.

Got an aerial & satellite installed by a reputable installer from Wicklow last year.

Wondering have some of the settings changed in the last year and maybe that explains the missing channels on the satellite and the intermittent issues with RTE 2?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

What Saorview transmitter is recommended for your location, have a look at the Saorview coverage checker.

What signal strength and quality readings is the TV's internal meter giving you?

What satellite receiver are you using? If it's a basic FTA box then channels can cease or move frequency, in this case a retune may be required to restore missing channels and a resort to get them where you want them. Sky and Freesat boxes do this automatically.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Apologies, I am not very techy, hence why I got an installer in to install the aerial & satellite last Summer.

The LG tv has a built in saorview/freesat tuner afaik, the tv is maybe 8+ years old. There is definitely no box or anything.

I am attaching 3 images:

1. What saorview checker says when I try to check the transmitter.

2. The signal quality/strength/frequency for RTE 1 - which is generally perfect.

3. Same as in point 2 except for RTE 2 - which as we speak has gone into hiding!!!

• Advertisement

Ok, the TV is confirming what the coverage checker is indicating, received signal isn't good.

The frequencies are from the low power Arklow transmitter.

What aerial type is installed and is it pointing towards Arklow, how far between house and transmitter approx?

Maybe a higher gain aerial (+ masthead amp?) could pull in a better signal, e.g. this Blake DMX10A (I have one of these for approx 10 years)

As regards the satellite channels, there is no link between the Saorview and satellite feeds. Is the TV Freesat or just the FTA channels?

The aerial I got a couple of years ago from freetv and it is a Saorview UHF TV Aerial Kit (Higher Gain).

Attached pic shows aerial & satellite, I would say Yes the aerial is pointing towards Arklow.

Approx 15km to transmitter if it is the Arklow one.

The TV is an LG 32 LN 540U and it says Freeview when I google it. There is a cable from the satellite & aerial going into the back of it.

I am up early this morning, when I sent the pics of the signal strength & quality last night for RTE 1 & 2, below were the percentages.

RTE 1 - Strength - 46%; Quality - 86%

RTE 2 - Strength - 26%; Quality - 0%

This morning they are now showing at:

RTE 1 - Strength - 46%; Quality - 100%

RTE 2 - Strength - 22%; Quality - 92%

As I mentioned it is RTE 2 and the other channels on the same muxe which seem to cause problems from time to time - mayne more so when people are more likely to be watching tv/big game on tv.

I dont have a ladder with me and the aerial/satellite is at a height attached to mobile home, so would struggle to get up and trying to move it ever so slightly looking for a better strength/quality.

What is more important? Signal strength or quality?

I attached two pics, one is not great quality but cannot remove it for some reason.

Signal quality is the important figure but you need decent signal strength to reinforce that. Mux 1 signal is way too low for a stable signal and Mux 2 could be better.

First thing to do would be to try realigning the aerial for optimum signal between both muxes but my guess would be little overall improvement. Increasing aerial height would be another option, without knowing the terrain between your location and the transmitter difficult to know what height would see improvement.

The aerial, a Group T or W wideband, probably performs better higher up the frequency range, a Group A specific hi-gain aerial would probably perform better for your location.

Looking around the general area what is the general situation with aerials, height, larger hi-gain aerials, masthead amps fitted to the mast near the aerial etc.

Regarding the TV I'm not sure if its Freesat capable or just a basic FTA satellite tuner, missing channels would indicate FTA and set to Ireland as the country/region. Retuning with the TV's region to UK would ask for a UK postcode on setup for Freesat, if built in, but mess up the order of the Irish channels which would be stored at random in the 800s.

Thanks for your help & detailed replies.

As I dont even have a ladder down with me, I cant get up to the aerial to play around with it.

Looking at other mobiles in the park I dont see any or many even with masthead amplifiers. A neighbour has said they have had trouble with RTE 2.

I have reached out to the shop/installer that installed it last Summer, the lady in the shop said she would get one of the installers to swing by next week and have a look. He should be able to test the signal without needing access to the TV itself.

Hopefully he can improve the signal.

Just to update, the installer came out. I wasnt around. He needed to add an amplifier to the aerial and said he needed access to the mobile home itself to do something as part of the fix.

Charged 20 euro for call out as had been out before to install it last year & 60 for amp.

• Advertisement

At some point post the updated signal numbers again.

Will do, might be a couple of weeks before Im back down there.

Out of interest is 60 for an amp expensive? Big mark-up?

Posting back here on this thread having posted last year with similar issue.

Mobile home in Wicklow has a satellite & aerial to get Saorview and UK channels. No box or anything as TV in conjunction with aerial & satellite gets channels.

Last year signal on RTE 2 and related channels on same MUX was really bad and would often go black, whereas RTE1 signal was a only bit better but could always view the channel.

Got installer back out last August who added an amplifier to the aerial and a booster inside the mobile which I plug in as well.

I hadn't been back down since last year when he did the job but other family members were and said RTE 2 etc. was back working perfectly after he added the amplifier.

Roll forward to this year and first time for any of us down since last September.

Signal on RTE 2 & related channels is either really fuzzy or no signal at all.

RTE 1 is fine and is showing 100% signal strength & 100% signal quality.

RTE 2 signal strength is showing at 95% whereas signal quality moves between 0% to 15/20%.

It was fine before the Leinster match this afternoon then went bad during the game and has been no signal since.

Is it possible over Winter that either the aerial moved and needs to be realigned or that something else changed?

If anything the trees around the immediate area of the mobile have been cut down lower.

Thanks

I remember your post from last year.

If it suddenly degraded it could be a local fault, something like a bad connection or water ingress over time corroding a connection.

Have a look at at all accessible connections, properly pushed-in/secure. Is the aerial to cable connection accessible, ensure the connection is good.

It's possible the aerial may have moved over the winter too but as it degraded suddenly it sounds more like a fault somewhere between aerial and TV.

Regarding the amp and booster, I'm assuming it's a masthead amplifier at the aerial and power supply inside to power the amp over the cable? If so check the connections at these units.

Thanks for your reply 'The Cush'.

From my understanding, it is a masthead amplifier as it has been attached to the pole holding up the aerial and the booster is inside the mobile and is required to be plugged in.

I unplugged the booster and checked all the cables were firmly in and everything looks ok from that side.

I will probably get back onto the installer and ask him to test it next time he is in the area doing work for someone else.

Maybe, I am expecting too much for it to be able to go a couple of years without there being some sort of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

So to hijack this thread but I'm currently setting up two TV's at my parents house.

One receives the full set of Saorview channels. On the other Mux 1 is missing.

I don't know how it is wired, could it be two cables from an aerial? Although I suspect a splitter it more likely?

What are the possible causes? Signal loss at the splitter? Change it? Anything else to try?

Should I non powered splitter work? I don't think there is power access there.

Likely to be a single cable from the aerial split with a passive splitter or similar.

Could be a bad connection or weak signal because of the split.

Check any cable connections for security.

If you find the split fit a distribution amp to give the signal a boost. Amplification is best closer to the aerial, to compensate for any loss down the cable to the TV point.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Thanks. Do all distribution amps need to be powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

A word of caution on the coverage checker, where local fill in transmitters are indicated as the best option:

It is not always the case and very much depends on the physical characteristics of your location, this is particularly relevant in Wicklow where local terrain can vary considerably.

I am in a location where I am nearest to the Greystones filler on Kindlestown Hill, Glen O' Downs. This is the suggested best option.

I have two separate tv's using Saorview one with antenna for Greystones and one for the legacy provider signal at Kippure. The Kippure signal is much stronger and the fill in at Greystones is just above borderline service.

In 'challenging' coverage areas, correct antenna grouping and alignment is crucial.

• Advertisement

Yes, they can be powered directly from a socket or in the case of a masthead amp over the coax cable from a remote power supply. The masthead amp option is useful where there is no convenient power socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭roshje

Anyone know how I can get audio description off the RTE Player when I am watching something on demand? Pain in the you know what.

Advertisement