Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House destroyed with Flying Ants

Options
  • 12-08-2022 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else been plagued with these. For the past few years I have been. Last year I spend hundreds with pest control to get rid.

If they were outside fine, but they are spewing into the house under the floors and the skirting boards. They are coming in the back door and the double french doors.7

I am full south facing with an indian sandstone patio, so probably this is attracting them.

I have the place sprinkled with the ant power, which usually results in loads of dead ones, but I dont like having to leave the powder there with the dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I had a same problem for 3 years, was doing all the natural cures to get rid of them. Did it work .. nope. At the end got the bite stations and they leave house alone, they are in the garden and they more than welcome there, but house is ants free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I got the bite stations and last year I got the house sprayed 3 times. The first time they were back the next morning after the spray.

It is only the flying ones coming in, the rest are happy out on the patio.

They actually burrowed through the mastic on the patio door and were spewing into the sitting room. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I haven't but I know someone who did, it took 3 visits from Rentokil to get rid of them.

Reading this, you might have a nest in your house. Do you have suspended or concrete floors downstairs? If they're suspended the nest might be underneath?

Some more info here:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have ants living in the cavity walls of our conservatory and under the sandstone paving around it. They find all kinds of nooks, crannies and holes to get through, and every time you block one up they find another. Bait stations and copious amounts of ant spray keep them at bay most years, but this year was the worst.

I have concrete floors, but topped with wood. I think they are in the wall. I replaced the windows and doors about 4 years ago and they have started to appear since that. For example, they guys put a piece of wood to finish the inside of the french doors (I am not explaining this well) but they seem to be underneath that.

Also, on another door, there was a gap behind the hinge (and thousands came through that).7

I never see an ant in the house, its only these flying things, July and August.

I spent 500 on them last year and I dont think it worked - although they stopped, I think it was co-incidence and the flying ant time was over.

This year they are earlier, and although there is not as many of them, there are appearing more often. Early evening, if it has been raining and then hot, they are in their element.

• Advertisement

I just said same. I think they are in the walls near the doors on my house and just like you....they keep finding another way in, when one is blocked.

I just dont like the spray or the power with the dog there, but it is keeping them at bay.

The sandstone paving seems to be a magnet and some of my pavers are loose.

I'd contact the window company and explain, then request they call back to investigate. Obviously they created some way for them to enter.

If they fob you off I'd ring around a few other companies, even ask if they could recommend anyone to look. Maybe post in the DIY section as well, many of the posters there do a lot of work themselves and may be able to offer better advice.

They can be relentless, even if you hoover up loads of them more will appear. If you've any outside blast them with a weed burner.

They must like your house, I had a lot flying ones and the no fliers coming in, one of the bathrooms was flooded by them, repeatedly. But in my case bite stations worked a treat. Hopefully you'll find the way to get rid of them.

I can see where they actually broke through the mastic on the french doors. Also, a tiny gap on the step path when it was replaced and they spew out of there too. So I filled those gaps with ant powder and sure enough, like Alun said above, they tried another way.

I will definitely look at sealing as many cracks as possible once the summer is over. I only get them at the back as well, its very hot and the sandstone paving is the draw.

One downside of having the south facing back garden, though should not complain.

Thank you.

Its funny, no one else on the road has them, but there is a fella in work and any time I get them, he gets them and his house was really destroyed with them.

When you come home and your sitting room is awash with them, its frightening.

Vinegar is good as well, but was hoping to get a solution to stop them coming, not treat the problem.

Looks like Im cursed!

• Advertisement

I don't mind insects at all, but I'd crack up with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I have a very sunny West facing back garden that is Cobblelocked , I was scourged with ants and flying ants for years , tried ant powder and baits etc , never worked . Then I got borax and mixed it with honey , jam etc , put it in jars with holes in the lid , the ants loved it and would bring it back to the nests , a few weeks later my ant problems were solved .

i am going to try that. I've just been googling it. It seems I should not put any inside as will just attract them in, but leave it outside near where they are getting in. Where can I buy Borax?

Go for it , it really works , sorry I can't remember where I bought it , but from what I remember it was hard to get , and I had to say it was for laundry , pretty sure it was a site in the UK possibly northern Ireland that rings a bell with me , Google it I'm sure you will find it

Where are you based ? I still have some left if you can't get it delivered.

Seems it's only available to cleaning professionals and scientists now. There is this, but not sure it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My sister got a kilo bag of borax on Amazon - she had a carpet beetle problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is there such a thing as a bite station? What is it? Or do people mean bait station?

Sorry my bad, didn't check the spelling.

Yes people mean bait station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭beachhead

Where are all these posts coming from? Avn't seen any flying ants this year or last year.Arn't they supposed to go away after a few days or are there zombie ants on the loose in Ireland.

The little tub things that have the stuff in it they are supposed to take back to the nest.

I dont care what it is called...bite or bait......if they bit it or took the bait, happy days!

Loads of them tonight....yuk!

Most of the posts are coming from me.

I have had constant flying ants in the house and coming into the house most evenings since end July.

I don't want them in the house and I don't want to come home to the sitting room full of flying ants, so I am looking for advice.

If you haven't got them, happy days. But they are a pest and I would appreciate any advice to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ha Ha. No worries. If one poster said it I'd presume a mistake but saw two different people so thought it was something I hadn't heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are very tiny beetles that get into the fibres of carpets and just eat them - or at least the larvae do. The will also take an interest in any soft furnishings that they come in contact with. By the time they were discovered they had infested most of the carpets in the house, fortunately they were all due for replacement, now they are going to be replaced with laminate!

I hate ants. Every single year they would start to appear in my bathroom as early as February or March, and once even in January. The bait stations are very good, and I put them down as soon as the first ant appears.

But after years of this, in the end I got sick of them and now I get my foundations sprayed at the end of March / early April and that seems to do the trick for the full summer. No more ants, no more bait traps. The guy who does it for me guarantees if you see even a single ant again before August he will come back and respray for free. I've never had to get him back a second time in any year.

Flying ants though, they are truly awful. One year the terrace I live on was swarmed really badly, thousands of them appeared in one day. I had to literally empty the bedrooms to get rid of them - my daughter woke up to them crawling on her in bed ad her room covered in them, it was the thing of nightmares. It took months to get rid of them for good - they were coming in from under my washing machine. You have my sympathy, @anewme.

Sweet Jesus, I'm sorry I asked! I'm all for live and let live as long as the other living things cause no harm, but that's well over the line of what I'd tolerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

what is Mastic ? Do you mean Silicone ?

I dont know what it is called. I'm not that technical. The stuff around the door to fill the gaps.

• Advertisement

I grew up in a rural area and the worst thing we ever experienced were mice in winter. You'd hear them scratching in the attic and walls, but a biblical plague of insects would be a nightmare. At least mice are easily controlled once you're aware of them.

Advertisement