Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭brickster69

Areas of Ukraine are already raising hands to have a referendum. That area where the big nuclear reactor is called Zaporozhye voted on one a few day's ago and will be having one in the next 4 weeks. If the majority of the people want it then fair enough if not then they don't want to change and Putin should pack his bags and leave that area.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Even the Ukranian's are reporting on it now. The whole front line defences of the Donbass front collapsed 5 days ago. Nothing in the media at all.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Western propaganda is just as effective as Russias. 90% bullshit coming from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

How about 10x better average wages and 15 years higher life expectancy than Russia with its sustainable war that Putinbot above keeps gushing about when he is not busy celebrating stealing “trillions” from yet another neighbouring country they invaded.

Our system is not perfect but it’s exponentially better than worshiping oligarchic fascism of Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What exactly is a bot? Do people think these bots are paid to post pro-whatever stuff? Are people that easily influenced by these bots? Maybe I am too old to understand the whys/hows but I don't see why Russia or USA or anyone would instruct people to post stuff on Boards all week long. Do they do it for free?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Darth Putin, your mission Failed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

To be honest I see ye both as complete randomers. Don't really believe in "bots". I'll take or leave your posts but tend to make my own mind up.

It's only Boards like 🙂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just to add a little balance to the discussion considering it's highlighted continuously when the markets take a battering.

All on the back of indications thst inflation has peaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Soon we will start seeing headlines about “how a recession is a good thing.”

the reality is, this is somewhat true - I mean it's a good thing for the ultra wealthy. Globally, current owner class is predicated upon disaster capitalism. They will swoop in and buy what little the working class owns for fractions of a penny on the dollar.

Unfortunately, we should be quite nervous about just how bad it's going to be. We have an incompetent bunch of ultra-capitalist sociopaths in power globally, and are heading into a recession which will dwarf the one of 2008. Sh*t is going to get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

2008 recession was caused by a banking (credit) crisis, this recession (if it occurs) would be off the back of a cost of living crisis (mainly energy). They are not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Would agree with that but like I said before I have never once worshipped "oligarch fascism of Russia".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Core inflation still stubbornly high and if employment data comming out of the US is correct then in order to kill core inflation interest rates will have to go much higher.

This is what every tech high growth company does not want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i follow several US youtubers, one of which gives daily reports from people who contact him from all over the country regarding the situations in their areas and it makes pretty dire listening...supermarket shelves are running empty in a lot of places, they try to disguise it by filling the shelves with non-food products..one report the other day said walmart had stacked the produce shelves with gatorade...lots of reports of people not being able to get parts to repair their vehicles and given up to 6 months waiting times...people complaining about the shortage of staff everywhere...lots of restaurants, regular and fast food, either closing completely or much reduced hours due to staff shortages...this confuses people because others are saying they are applying for jobs in companies which are advertising for help, but then get no reply....so something going on in the background there...lots of people reporting that when they buy their fruit, veg, meat, dairy and then get home and open packets, the product has gone off even though it is within expiry dates....lots of people wriring in with examples of big price hikes everywhere..and going up on a daily basis,.the supermarket workers can;t keep up with changing the sticker pricing and lots of customers complaining that when they get to the till, the price ringing up is a lot more than displayed on the shelves...

people driving across the country reporting the lack of transport lorries on the roads compared to normal times..others living close to railway tracks reporting reduced number of trains passing through carrying cargo....

lots of people writing in about increased levels of violence and crime everywhere and now people are being warned not to go shopping alone as it seems many people are getting mugged/attacked in the shopping carparks...

old people and others on fixed incomes really struggling...food banks declaring their donations have greatly decreased ...

so no, i don't believe it's all rosy in the US right now despite what the glossy media try to portray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

exactly as I have said already. Darth is obviously not looking in ordinary areas.

The huge amount of people invested to crypto and lost huge amount of money.Many of them was taking loans,many of them lost money saved for mortgage deposits.Now nearly every second youth has app in his phone with crypto wallet on it.

Next stock markets.Huge amount of people invested there,same apps in phones.This reminds me USA Before 1929 just this time amount of people invested are a lot,lot bigger! And bubble is are a lot,lot bigger.

Bubble on housing market .

Massive level of people debts for everything from shoes to house mortgage.Utility bills will be serious issues for many this winter.

Bills will reduce consumption of goods, factories will slow down and send people home.

When all forces (crypto already here) will come together,this will be storm world never see before And this will happen this winter.

New companies will come to Ireland and create thousands new jobs ?

There is only 753 houses left for rent in whole Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I'd trust either side to report the facts about as much as i'd trust a pedo to babysit my kids. The propaganda is appalling and is being cheered on by bots on both sides here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

back in 2007 the iseq was 9500, today its 7215. On that, I still don't see all the doom and gloom that so many others see. The cost of living is the cost of living. There is very little that can be done to bring the price of goods down. worldwide I see optimism that things are not going to hell in a handbasket. petrol is down 10c in the last two weeks. so don't through in the towel yet folks. and no I will not get into the housing debate.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've no idea which way it's going to go, but I do firmly believe this winter is going to be a tough one for many households.

All Eyes On Rafah

One Germany economy expert on radio simply told what gonna happen in Germany this winter.He filed his gas storage for 2300 euros when last year he paid 700.He simply said that Germany shops and services simply will not get his 1600 euros.He didn't mentioned how less other people will spend this year for goods and services.

Also he said,many people simply doesn't have money pay that sort of bills.

If people will have choose food,mortgage or bills this gona be Very bad for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Will there be a property crash in Spain next year between inflation, higher interest rates and the visa / healthcare rules now starting to hit the British ?

Anyone have insight into Spainish economy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

petrol and oil being down, while being good for buying heating oil and petrol etc (although still exorbitant prices compared to normal) is also a warning signal, in that it reveals there is lower demand and this is usually coming from industry...so its a sign of manufacturing etc slowing down which is not a healthy sign.

in my own manufacturing facility, management have decided to decrease production and concentrate on selling off warehoused stock at the moment...so i reckon that is a trend thrughout the sector...i guess the PMI indicators will reveal what is really going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭893bet

While many people wish full on recession on us it is important to not forget that a lot of people are doing very very well. Ingeneral they don’t post here with the doom merchants.

Like reviews on websites. Need to analyse the negative ones against the positive ones and understand that 90 percent of the negative ones got posted as the people are annoyed. And 90 percent of the positive ones are not as they weren’t pissed off.

For 99 percent of us Lighten up and realise how blessed you are every day to be born in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

The ECB is deliberately ignoring it's mandate.

If it had raised rates appropriately they'd be 5%+ right now.

The price of goods is entirely within their control, they're just either too afraid, too incompetent or too beholden to government interests to pull the lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most Russians will still live in poverty that the civilized world can't even imagine after taking resources rich Donbass.

That's the only certain thing

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Advertisement