Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You have every intention of spending the next 50 pages making every vapid contrarian "argument" under the sun about these vaccines, that is your M.O.

I'll be back to point it out

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

Do you agree that mandatory vaccination is not coercive because it is not compulsory?

Not trying to argue the point with you just curious is this the sort of example of an explanation of a basic concept you repeatedly refer to.

What is the conspiracy here exactly?

This is a conspiracy theory forum. If you want to protest vaccines by filibustering a thread, okay, but I am still not seeing the conspiracy relation. Not sure why this thread is still open to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Don't you know, if a conspiracy thread gets to page 500, the conspiracy theorists get declared right all along.

I'm not filibustering a thread. Learnt that lesson with the poster who spent 50 pages failing to prove that insufficient data was in fact extremely comprehensive data. Not going to make the same mistake arguing that mandatory vaccinations are not compulsory.

They are two of the most glaring examples of a widespread revisionism about the vaccines and an inability to acknowledge even a minor truth that could be viewed as critical of the vaccines.

Other examples are the claims that vaccines were never intended to prevent infection or to achieve herd immunity. Or what constitutes vaccine failure. Or the fact that being immune to a disease now means something different than it did 2 years ago. I could go on and on.

Why is this so prevalent, both at a micro and macro level? Is this a conspiracy? I don't know, but I think for those interested in conspiracy theories it is potentially fascinating question to discuss.

Unfortunately you and others, for whatever reason are hell bent on ensuring this discussion does not take place. Either by arguing black is white, or trying to discredit posters - for example because somebody in a different thread who has stated they think the earth is flat has thanked a post here. That's one of your favourite tactics.

Or by trying to get the thread closed. You ask for this repeatedly. Why are you so keen that the thread is closed?

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@King Mob after over 10 and a half thousand posts the thread is entitled to move on from the original topic. This is a discussion forum - where people discuss topics. You don't get to tell anyone they are "wasting time". If you feel a poster is wasting your time by posting you are free to not read or respond. Amend your posting style on this thread, or you will thread banned.

similarly @Dohnjoe it is not compulsory, or indeed mandatory to read any thread. If you are tired of it you can move on. Covid vaccines are a contentious topic. With some people believing it is a conspiracy cooked up by pharma companies to make money. The topic will remain open in this forum for as long as it continues to be discussed. People are free to participate in the discussion - or not.

Do not comment on or question moderator instruction on thread. It is considered offtopic and will results in a thread ban.

Right. The forums on this site seem to have wildly different approaches to this. Anyway, on the flip side, this does seem to be the most apt forum for the subject matter.

Moving on from all that, even my ardent anti-vaxxer friend seems to have become more mute on the subject, almost as if there's a realisation that everyone around him is not dropping dead, or perhaps even realising a fringe belief is not worth losing friends, even family over. So there's some glimmer of hope for those caught up in the cult of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

but you are though... it's quite funny that you linked a page which proved you were wrong and you're still arguing compulsory and mandatory are the same thing, when they're not.... it's quite funny all of this pontificating when you haven't a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

"why would not taking the vaccine cause people to die of something other than covid"

• Advertisement

The compulsory vaccination law in Austria was coercive. And you can take that as a fact.

It was... I never said it wasn't... key word being compulsory

still doesn't take away the fact you haven't a breeze between mandatory and compulsory

So if the vaccination law was compulsory, and compulsory is coercive, finally we can agree some people were coerced and put under pressure to get vaccinated after all. Who'd have thought it.

Disputing that fact is how this stupid debate about the difference between mandatory and compulsory kicked off in the first place. But any supposed difference is irrelevant now anyway.

no, what kicked it off was you saying mandatory was coercive... which legally it isn't.. you just failed to accept that..

I never said nobody was coerced (in a general sense, sure look at China, or another European example, over 60's in Greece) ... I did however ask for examples of coercion in Ireland as all there ever has been in place was mandates for vaccination, which meant legally everyone had a choice.

so if you do agree that people were coerced to get vaccinated, how do you square that with the claim that nobody was put under any pressure to get vaccinated?

are you now going to try and argue that coercion does not involve pressure?!

in certain countries they were... in Ireland and the UK they weren't, it's fairly explanatory

if that pressure involved threats or force, it's coercion... mandates aren't threats or force, you have an option to follow it or not.

got where? I never mentioned coercion wasn't used elsewhere and didn't dispute it..

your use of mandatory incorrectly which you've been clinging onto, even though you posted links showing you were incorrect, was the issue..

You used it numerous times to make out coercion was used when this was blatantly false

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Headless_1916

Just happened to click through to this thread as it's 'trending' currently. Very confusing; the discussion here had me questioning my own understanding of what the word 'mandatory' meant. So I checked a dictionary.

man·da·to·ry

/ˈmandəˌtôrē/

See definitions in:

All

Law

Politics

adjective

required by law or rules; compulsory.

"wearing helmets was made mandatory for cyclists"

Then, I thought 'so we use compulsory to describe mandatory. I wonder what compulsory means?'

com·pul·so·ry

/kəmˈpəlsərē/

adjective

required by law or a rule; obligatory.

involving or exercising compulsion; coercive.

"the abuse of compulsory powers"

Feels like one would have to be quite obtuse to claim that mandatory is not compulsory; it's kind of the entire point that mandatory is compulsory in actual usage. Mandatory does not mean 'if you personally feel like it', does it? What a strange argument, regardless the underlying topic of discussion. Could whoever thinks mandatory is not compulsory send me a link to the post where they defended that stance? I scrolled through a few pages but didn't find anything and sadly the thread is yuge enough I gave up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,531 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Really, 10 posts in and this is the one you choose to respond to? Are you bad to the bone?

Kernkraft explained the terms. Not sure why you don't understand it. B2B was always on about his feelings, as the standard anti-vaxxer technique is to insist one proves a negative, I contend you are B2B under a rereg (with a clever Irish-themed name.) Prove me wrong.

• Advertisement

if you go look up any word in a dictionary, you will find numerous synonyms to describe it.... mandatory and compulsory are synonymous with each other...

synonymous doesn't mean equal to though...

from a legal stand point mandatory and compulsory are not the same thing...

Compulsory being the highest level of compliance required, will encompass something that's mandatory or obligatory.....

But if something is mandatory, it is not compulsory...

@hometruths is arguing (but saying they're not) that these are the same thing.... they even posted a link to a legal dictionary proving themselves wrong... and has been going round the houses under the guise of "revisionism" saying they are the same, without doing an ounce of research on the legal technicalities of the terms...

I deal with this sort of "legal red tape" regularly, but hey, I'm just a random off the internet, if you go to a solicitor, they will happily tell you the same thing for a fee....

Mandated Vaccinations - are they legal? - Boylan Lawyers

Welcome to the thread, this sort of thing is routine here. As is Igotadose's input. Mandatory means optional and "Kernkraft explained the terms. Not sure why you don't understand it."

😂🤣

Amusingly it started during a discussion in which I claimed some posters here were denying some inconvenient truths. And they still haven't figured out that the more they go on arguing that mandatory means optional the more they prove my point.

like I said before, just because you don't think it's true, doesn't make it so...

On the back of that, could you let me know when you were forced to take the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Seeing that you have already disproved your point, yes they are proving that your point was wrong.

And as I have already said to you just because I personally was not coerced into taking the vaccine it does not mean anybody else was not. But this is a silly question as you've already admitted that some people were coerced or pressurised.

I agreed outside Ireland and UK, yes... you seem to make out it that I never did say that.... and the examples you gave of coercion involved vaccines being "compulsory"...

there has only ever been vaccine mandates in Ireland or the UK, which mean people still have the right to choose, if you have a right to chose, it's not coercion... can there be consequences of that choice, of course... but you're not being coerced (forced/threatened) ...

That is the difference, that is the point that has been explained numerous times, that you are trying to get out of by claiming "revisionism".

So, can you give me these examples of coercion under these mandates that you mentioned was happening earlier

I agreed outside Ireland and UK, yes... you seem to make out it that I never did say that.... and the examples you gave of coercion involved vaccines being "compulsory"...

Now the revisionism is extending to the discussion. This initially kicked when you took issue with my use of the phrase "pushing the vaccines on people", and you said nobody was put under any pressure to take the vaccine, everybody had a choice.

WealthyB chimed in claiming coercion, and I agreed. You and others said nobody was coerced. I disagreed.

The ensuing lengthy discussion included me quoting a EU parliament assembly urging member states not to put any pressure on citizens, and you yourself referenced Ireland, the UK and the EU. It was clear we were discussing the policies within the EU - not just Ireland.

In response to one of DohnJoe's routine attempts to deflect away from the conversation I replied:

I'm stating unambiguously that there is a dangerous and relentless revisionism that surrounds all things covid vaccine. That's what I am seeking discussion about.

In reply I get people saying things like mandatory vaccination is not coercion and insufficient data is in fact extremely comprehensive data.

Which rather proves my point.

Odyssey took exception to this and posted:

You are now using this to argue that people on the thread said that "mandatory vaccination is not coercion".

So fine, find us the quote in context which states that mandatory vaccination is not coercion.

So I asked Odyssey to clarify his view on mandatory vaccination: For the avoidance of doubt do you consider mandatory vaccination to be coercion. Yes or no?

To which you replied:

nope... because mandatory does not equate to compulsory.... you still have the choice not to take any vaccine.

And you've been making a fool of yourself ever since.

negative...

nothing foolish about legal terminology..

It I went to court trying to say I was coerced under a mandate .... the judge would ask for for examples of how I was forced or threatened to do something....

If it was a case of "I just felt forced into it, because I needed a vaccine to go on holidays to Spain", you would be laughed out of court.

However, if it was a case that an employer said "under this mandate you need to be vaccinated or you'll lose your job"...

1) you could say no

2) the employer under the mandates in Ireland and UK was not allowed ask your vaccination status

3) you have quite a handy constructive dismissal case on your hands....

If the vaccine was compulsory in either situation above, it would be different outcomes again.

So do you believe an employer insisting that an employee gets vaccinated or loses their job is coercive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

The Irish Council of Civil Liberties considered vaccine passports to be coercive.

That really should be the end of that aspect of the discussion. Unless some posters think they're more qualified to talk about civil liberties than the ICCL, in which case I'd invite them to put their medals on the table.

As for the ridiculous mandatory vs compulsory diversion, allow Regina Doherty a wry smile

"my stupid mandatory but not compulsory line - Regina Doherty on the rocky road of ministerial life"

www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-interview-2-3762558-Dec2017/%3famp=1

Advertisement