Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah yeah look, I'm just wallowing a bit right now.

She's not someone that comes on my radar at all..... And someone that no-one in my crew will be into at all. She's 16 yo fangirl jelly.

Crystal **** is......

Is....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As an ever present, what do make of the line up two weeks out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

aaaah not great really, have seen a few of them over the last few fests but just delighted that the haunt is back that's the best announcement for me anyway and a bunch of stuff of the first announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Looks like I've been blocked by accident, what's the name of the female mod, will message her.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ah stop, stupid horse is in essence the natural evolution of ska

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Turns out it wasn't a dream.

It was a nightmare though. Agree Nixer and naked lung have potential. Saw somebody's child at kaleidoscope a few years ago and was alright. Mango x mathman does an energetic show. Still lots to get through but a lot a sh**te in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Glad to see folks have picked up on Naked Lungs. Thought i was talking to myself for the past few months. I'm not connected to the band, honestly, just think a certain cohort here would really enjoy them. Saw them supporting Enola Gay and they put on a good show.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I had a dream that yesterdays line up was just the main stage additions so there was hope for the likes of the EA, Rankin Woods etc. Then I woke up 🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Overall its a poor line up for the biggest festival in the country with the biggest expectations. There is ten acts i am interested in and apart from that there will be many kms of walking around aimlessly, popping into tents to see whats going on. I dont have the patience to research all these new bands. It looks like they are cashing in after two years off. Does the shift away from established acts to new ones suggest an overall change in the festival identity? Its like walking into a Michelin star restaurant but being handed Mackydees.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭GentleHumour

Man oh man. That announcement was dire. Put me in awful form yesterday. Had a listen down thru the new added acts…and there is so little there. Piddly poor pop a lot of it.…

…and I don’t accept the “out of touch” argument. Showed it to my 20 year old niece, who is into her music, and she was struggling to recognise most.

Anyway - I see this morning’s big Page 3 ad in the Irish Times has the ‘old’ line up poster, rather than the ‘new’. Includes “Plus Many More to be Announced” at the bottom. The blind optimist in me hopes that there’ll be more added, due to backlash, or holding something back or whatever?

The realist reckons they copped the King Kong Company misspelling and had to scramble to pull the ‘new’ poster. Ha ha. Good enough for them FR spin merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Not exactly cashing in but Melvin Benn interview the other week was clear that operational costs have increased significantly across the board for the festival this year. Less money for artists as result.

as other mentioned the amount of headline outdoor shows such as fairview, st Anne’s limited the amount of acts available.

also like of primavera double week affected the summer touring cycle for a lot of bands. They did the May/June europe run instead of an august run.

That’s evident in likes of lowlands/pukkelpop having a weaker than usual line up

There may be valid excuses but it is portrayed as the biggest event of the year in the Irish music calendar. It promises a lot but is not delivering, so ultimately they have failed.

Charge more if needs be to get more A or B list acts. All the acts on the bottom four paragraphs of the new poster are Whelans bands at best.

In fairness the paragraph that starts with 100 gecs is all Olympia theatre level acts.

After the amazing ATN festival this announcement was like an anti-climax, I seriously hope they have trouble selling tickets next year, they need their rest assuredness to have a kick up the arse. Just look at the line ups from the mid noughties and compare, its like a completely different festival and a slap in the face to long standing regulars. Where is the Friday/Saturday after headliner dance act? Maybe they might sneak a Nile Rodgers announcement over the next week or two, a rave act or a funk act. Hopefully some of the other unannounced areas might have some interesting acts, I don't even know if Mind and Body will actually have a line up like in days of yore. But still going to work this one and review it as I'm intrigued to how it will go down come festival days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's grand saying operational costs have gone up, but so did the ticket prices and pink moon also. Going with the acts for the kids will ultimately change the identity of the festival as was suggested above. Bad for us yes, but maybe great for younger people.

It'll be interesting to see how the early bird sales for EP 2023 goes.

Over the last few picnics there have been some not so great, but still very good, lineups and some great line ups but to me this feels like a shift in target audience which if it is will certainly lose me over time, and many here I would suspect. The good thing is lots of other festivals are now in place so we have options we didn't have in years gone by.

I think we need to send out a hit squad to take out all these boy bands that are infiltrating the festival line ups hahaha, the fact is I don't even need to name them, you know who they are.

• Advertisement

Dunno, you gotta go up to the next level for the Olympia. Glass animals have played the Olympia recently and Wolf Alice are there in two weeks.

As long as it doesn't rain everyone will probably have a good time anyway, it just means I'll spending more time away from the main stages at trailer park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

EP are unfortunate, they took tickets sales in 2019 in known pricing conditions. Costs have risen 10% year on year since then, I know in our work we’ve increased prices by 32% post covid, driven by our suppliers.

So Before artists, Id expect every single expense for them to be 30% higher. Tents, stages, fencing, transport, lighting, decking, security, generators, toilets etc etc.

This will likely lead to increased “pitch fees” for the traders. There will be a certain level of price gouging.

But don’t forget EP, despite not running the festival, posted profits of a couple of million for 2020 & 2021.

They’ve also had our ticket sales cash (Say €220 * 70,000 = 15.4M) for nearly 3 years, this alone may have given them an income.

This is a defining point now for EP, they need to get the below right or risk a real drop off next year;

• Weak line up.

• Unknown impact of increased capacity 70k. This is a risk, it might not work!

• Potentially much higher food/drink prices.

• Aside from lineup, what else’s has been cut back? Toilets, security, facilities!

• We could see ticket prices jump €50/€60 next year!

I pretty much auto buy early bird each year, but I’ll be keeping a close-eye on the above.

off top of my head, bright eyes (vicar st) cmat, Denise chaila, for those that I love, James Vincent mcmorrow, Reiji snow,100 gecs, rina sawayama, saint sister, the academic have all headlined or about to headlined Olympia shows.

jeff mills did the bord Gais, 2 johnnies did 3 arena, my therapist ghosted me is doing 2 weeks in the gaiety.

as much those acts might not appeal to users here they are mid tier acts that all sell 1,500 tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Popularity or Twitter isn’t exactly a measurement of artist quality, but look at the no. Of likes from EP retweet’s, Coronas (2nd tier) Vs wild youth (4th tier)

Thank you @Stillill42 took your recommendation of Naked Lungs, will definitely check them out. Listen to the bassline on this when it kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Okay. So dreadful headliners*. Was okay with that.

Weak undercard. Taking the piss.

People were posting criticisms at ATN for lack of star act appeal this year, but the quality across the board was impressive, particularly the Irish acts. This undercard obviously has to appeal to a broader audience, but even so - there’s a lot of filler.

Silver lining - Lime Cordiale are worth checking out. I’d a ticket for their lockdown cancelled Whelans gig in 2020. Their live shows seem the business.

And yeah - expect serious price gouging on the concessions. Bring sarnies.

*Only Megan holds any appeal for me - and that’s just curiosity.

It's not the money spent on acts, or not just that. It's the imagination put into their selection. I'm just used to being assaulted with a variety of really interesting stuff from a range of genres. That is absolutely not there this year. As a number of posters have said, it really feels like a deliberate shift in emphasis, maybe similar to the shift that Longitude made a few years ago where it used to have a range of acts before settling on a very specific demographic. We, and I include this entire thread here, whether you like it or not 😉, are being shunted out of the main arena which will certainly have a more homogeneous feel to it this year. There will still be a great festival going on in the other areas for us but just a much cheaper one. They're not cutting us loose yet, just trying to get away with hanging on to us without spending any money on the stuff we like and I'm with the rest of ye, it could be pastures new next year.

Much as I'd love to take credit, BD, it was @Dreamweapon with the initial recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The extra 12.5k tickets at €260 adds €3.25m to the coffers. That covers a hell of a lot of increased operational costs. I think FR have scraped by in previous years. They deserve to make a profit, and a decent one, but in 2022 I believe it to be excessive.

• Advertisement

I blame @Rfrip. Everything was looking good until that 2 Johnnies comment.

Advertisement