Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

when did you order your car, what the current wait time like for the i4

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

BMW Charging Card Question

My car is due to arrive next month. Should I register for the card before delivery? How long do they take to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Last November, and right now they’ve no idea when it’ll arrive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mines been due every month since March so I wouldn’t be doing anything until it has arrived at the dealership ..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just back from bingo. There was less randomness is the numbers pulled for that then for BMW’s i4 delivery allocation.

My mate is waiting since last week of October 2021.

He is just about to cancel. Not worth it anymore now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Very disappointing from BMW, and for a fairly unimpressive vehicle.

But really, where's the choice? Long delays at all manufacturers now and even starting to impact Tesla orders which will get worse.

Little around in the 1-2yr old space, and if you do find something the value is gone.

The market badly needs a real disruption - be that wholescale entry of Chinese-built EVs or real innovation by a conventional manufacturer, on the tech side and/or the finance side.

tesla have brand new Model 3 and Model Y in stock for September delivery but they are not for everyone.

Some people don’t like the minimalist design etc

Failing that, it’s 2023 now for anything ordered I think.

This will drive people to keep what they have. People are getting fed up waiting for orders, especially when there’s no clarity or truth on actual delivery dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It's frustrating when you don't have a guaranteed delivery month and dealer's will say and do what suits them. If someone can walk into a BMW dealership and skip a year long waiting list on an i4, taking delivery a week after enquiry, I wouldn't have any trust in what they tell me. Great for my SiL who loves her M40, but I would be livid if I was on the waiting list.

Communication is not much better with Nissan. The outlook is cloudy for the foreseeable. I'm still shocked that Tesla managed to give me an EDD of 4-6 weeks after my order was placed. The EDD prior to delivery was next Jan-March. I've really had to pull my socks up to get my deposit in order. I expect the actual delivery date is delayed only because finance is not cleared yet.

BMW have to sort their sh1t out and nail down delivery dates for customers.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

this anybody on here?

Interesting thoughts. Reading that the power is rarely used makes me think.

More and more, I am wondering should I cancel the m50 version and go for a 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The owner is obviously an EV n00b. Personally I like the really fast acceleration, use it every day in every EV that I've owned or driven.

• Advertisement

@MojoMaker - "for a fairly unimpressive vehicle."

I don't think that is fair. It's not perfect for sure, the hush hush likely battery recall for safety / fire reasons is scary, but by all means the i4 is a very impressive vehicle. Drives like a proper BMW and is a competent EV. Not a single review I have seen that wasn't pretty positive.

The 40 version, just like the standard RWD Model 3 is every bit of car 99% of people will ever need.

Both of them are 300bhp give or take and when compared to the typical family car (200bhp 20d etc).

But it’s nice to have the Performance of the Performance Versions of either if that’s what your into and that’s what your interest is in.

Do I use the performance every day, no, but it’s nice to know it’s there when I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I4 M50 rapidgating in 28.5 Celsius, charging slower than normal at Tesla SC and power limited afterwards ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Day 100 of my i4 being "repaired".

I shouldn't really care at this stage since the M50 replacement is ordered for January.

Driving a loaner 530e and all I can say is that it seems like the most pointless vehicle I've ever driven. Battery barely yields 25km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Maybe you should care, I am willing to bet big money your January delivery will get delivered like mine was in July (it wasn't) 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Maybe, time will tell.

To be fair my original i4 was delivered in the time frame they gave me. Ordered December 21 and delivered April 22.

Dealer has a pretty big incentive to do everything in their power to ensure delivery on-time given the deal I've worked out with them.

Yep PHEV is pointless. Unfortunately most people don't realise this until they have owned a BEV.

Hopefully you'll get your brand new i4 in January. 5 months away.

Not true, PHEVs are for people with short commutes.

My 330e does about 50km on the battery and it would get me to work and back on battery alone, I'd say about 80% if not more of the mileage on it is battery only. Now with wfh can't even think of the last time I put in petrol. With my solar pv combined, free driving for half the year.

I think the x5 hybrid can go up to 80-100kms which is very usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Aye, PHEV is almost perfect for me for daily use, I could do with an extra couple of KMs, but generally it's saved me a fortune in petrol.

You guys are proving my point. Wait until you own a BEV ;-)

• Advertisement

I would have went for one in 2019 if any proper ones existed, and I tested a model 3 but I couldn't live with the quality so immediately got the 3 series hybrid. Not to mention a fully specced M3 was like €80k which is laughable.

Not sure why people have this incessant need to compare Tesla with BMW/Audi/Mercedes, the quality/comfort is in a totally different class, even for the higher spec models.

Out of all cars, BMW is my favourite interior style and quality by a long mile. However, the seats in a model 3/Y are far superior for comfort. Take it from someone with a bad back….that’s worth more than most people know.

Stay Free

Only BMW seats I find uter garbage are the standard non M ones. Didn't find the M3 seats more comfortable but that's just my opinion and my back is not the best either 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Exactly, having bought a company vehicle, a Tesla and two BMW’s plus I've owned numerous Audi’s, the Tesla is not comparable to those premium brands in regard’s quality.

The BMW and Audi’s have a premium quality and well made interior and exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The BMW M sport seats provide great support and are made with very good quality materials…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

in a BMW you can choose different seats, i.e. standard, Sport or M Seats .. which seat is it that you are comparing to? can you choose different seats in a Tesla ?

Most recent comparison is the i4 M40. The seats weren't bad, but the seating position was too low looking over that massive bonnet and the lumbar support wasn't nearly as good as the M3.

Stay Free

The comparison seems to be from BMW owners based on this thread from the start.

Tesla owners don’t compare to bmw or Audi or anything else to be honest as there’s nothing in that design segment that’s as minimal as the Tesla.

I also find the clickbait YT videos, “Tesla beater”, “Model 3 beater” drives it further but to give Tesla credit they have dragged the older lazy “premium” brands into EV production, similar to the iPhone launch many years ago.

The moment Samsung launch a new phones, it’s immediately compared to the iPhone. I see that will be the way forward with all EV’s, they will just automatically be compared to the Tesla.

I’ve had 3 teslas, countless BMW’s, (still have a 530e), Audi, VW, Skoda, Honda to name but a few. I’ve also had great dealings with bmw over the years but they have slipped as of late

Some people read stuff on the internet about Tesla bumpers falling off. Then repost on here but leaving out the fact that the car was driving through a flood at the time, then they say their bumper fell off :)

All car brands will have good apples and bad apples as proved by this thread alone, BMW is no better or no worse than any other brand currently with regards to supply, EV issues and quality but some people just repost the age old bmw advertisement slogans.

Fantastic machines my back side! If you read through the thread, some posters will actually only post following a Tesla comment, it’s actually noticeable and laughable.

Good thing we have choice nowadays, there are many fantastic machines and quality engineered cars available to the masses so buy what suits you :)

BMW will be better built but Tesla will be better tech. The BMW will appeal to long term bmw drivers, my misses included, she loves her current 5 series and has no plans to change.

#choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This notion of quality is a funny one. Nobody defines what quality is. Certainly inside the interior of a BMW there is more interior and less space . Its a more cocooned space. BMW leather is pretty good and there is a good bit of sound insulation. However there is no quality issue with Tesla interiors (talking model 3 here as that my experiance). All the materials hold up well and rattles are minimal. Its a more open interior but thats the design language. I have had many BMW and have had worn bolsters, clips snapping, parking brake buttons snap off, rear seat levers snap off, heating element failures. Steering wheel excessive wear and stitching problems. The fact tesla have less interior means there are less problems.

My point being you must define what is quality is before comparing two things on that basis. In my humble I think people conflate premium branding with premium quality. I moved away from BMW because I have found them to be riddled with issues and points of failure, and pretty much any BMW owner I talk to will have a list of issues there car had.

• Advertisement

100% agree.

I’ve had 3 American built EV’s, no panel gaps, no paint issues, no body panels fading, no bumpers falling off and no rattles at all. Maybe I’m lucky too 🤷‍♂️

I also find people look for rattles as they are not used to be driving a car without an engine vibrating the life out of them!

I still love BMW’s to an extent and I feel we will always have one (based on herself) but she may come around to the new age EV design at some stage. She actually commented on a Kia EV6 the other day saying it was lovely and then asked what car is that? She didn’t know it was a Kia, let alone an EV!

People will berate other brands that they are loyal to and ignore the short comings in the brand they love. This thread shows that. The 530e thread also highlights the issues with body panels fading (which I haven’t experienced) and also mad engine lights which I have.

Both brands have their pros and both have their cons. Both brands are far from perfect and both are as premium as each other IMO.

Android V iOS (Round 2)!

Advertisement