Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU Transgender Women Policy Change

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I mean, you made up your own idea of what my argument boils down to when I actually spelled it out plainly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You haven't addressed the second point though. So what if they are? What does it fundamentally change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's different. Your first post claimed that having these people as bedfellows should make you think about your opinion due to the others that also hold this opinion, at least thats how I and a few others read it.

Post 162 asks to think about other peoples motivations for why they are also supporting this.

Maybe your original post wasn't as clear as you thought?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

They could be cheering alongside for purely prejudicial / transphobic reasons and the IRFU's decision can still be the correct one tho for safety and integrity reasons. They're not mutually exclusive.

(As an aside, I do take the point tho; for example, i ordinarily wouldn't agree with Sports Gemma on pretty much anything. But personally it's served to make me try and be more considered about my position on this.

And tbh, even commenting on this or saying things like "considering my position" doesn't sit particularly well with me as it's not an issue that currently affects me whatsoever at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Would all those who are against the IRFU ruling, be in favor of the removal of the ban on steroids, in womens sports?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I presume and could be wrong here that when you said "I'd look at the type of person who's cheering on this ban alongside you and ask myself if they are credible people and if they make good bedfellows" you're talking about actual transphobes. It is possible to believe everyone should be able to live and identify as they wish and also not think it's a good idea for transwomen to be able to compete in women's sport.

Another way of thinking about this is to look at the number of transwomen competing at a high level in women's sport. There's been a transwoman Olympian, an NCAA swimmer, an elite cyclist in America, an elite cyclist in Europe (I'm not talking about Emily Bridges here either), and an elite mountain biker from New Zealand. That's an awful lot of elite level athletes from some such a small group of people. One of the reasons for this is the transition process doesn't eliminate the physical advantage that comes from being born male.

There's a good twitter thread that shows if Craig Casey were to transition to female he'd more than likely be the strongest member out of any position on a female team.

Emma Hilton on Twitter: "“Rugby is for all shapes and sizes, so we must let males play in the female category.” I had a brief look at the IRFU squads, specifically their heights and weights. By position." / Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm fully in favour of the ban, but that's an easy one to answer. It would be a clear no.

One doesn't chose to be born a man when they're a woman.

The argument is that its discrimination against transgender women. Its not. Transgender women can play if they were born a man as long as they didn't go through puberty as a male. That is i suspect a tiny amount at the moment. I'm guessing most go through puberty first.

The ruling isn't to discriminate against trans gender people. It's to rule against an unfair advantage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I was surprised at that too.

I'd guess that's to do with the multinational element to it. The Sevens players where from Canada, New Zealand, USA, Ireland, Australia and England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. The IRFU wouldnt be able to access original birth certs or birth records.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not quite true. People in this thread have said that they shouldnt be accepted for who they are plus trans people have been misgendered and trans women referred to as males...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

women using steroids would still have less of an advantage than that of being born biologically male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

You need some lessons in statistics if you're going to draw conclusions from a sample size of 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Wait.

Is it known who these two women are?

I assumed it was not.

The birth record will have been changed by applying after the gender recognition cert, you need a court order to access if someone has a GRC and has changed their birth cert, I doubt the IRFU would be granted such a court order but who knows. I agree with biology and safety not personal choice but I also believe that the GRA has made it very difficult to ensure this in womens sport in Ireland

"30D. (1) An tArd-Chláraitheoir shall maintain an index to make traceable the connection between each entry in the register and the corresponding entry in the register of births or the Adopted Children Register.

(2) The index maintained under subsection (1) shall not be open to public inspection, and no information from that index shall be given to any person except by order of a court."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect the enforcement of this will be similar to the enforcement of many things at amateur level - largely just relying on good faith. At elite level it is potentially a more complicated question alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mis-gendering does not exist. Its like mis-aging someone. Either it is their age or its a mistake. Telling someone you are younger than you are, or falsifying what your age is in writing, doesn't change the reality that you were born at a particular time, on a particular date and that will be the case for all time.

Trans women are trans women. They are biological males to the core of their cells and there's not a procedure yet, short of magic, or an act of God that can change that. And as neither of those exist, they're out of luck.

Yes, people can experience gender dysphoria and feel like they were born in the wrong body and want to live their life in the body they identify with, rather than the one in which they were actually born and its a great thing that there is science and technology to support them in that. It gives people peace, relief and confidence and no one should be denied that.

But at the end of the day, the science is only changing their superficial selves, it doesn't offer them a natural female hormonal level. It cannot install in them a female reproductive system, or any other female gender characteristic like a skeleton developed to birth children.

Tran women and indeed trans men, ought be let live their lives how they please, just like the rest of us, without harassment or exploitation. But they are trans women and trans men. False appropriation of a biological status which they are not, is bogus and an act of delusion and denial which I believe only worsens mental health over time, not to mention the marginalisation of biological women in the process, by simply demanding that womanhood is whatever anyone says it is.

Time to draw a line under the falseness and the delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

The presence of non regular rugby forum posters degrades the argument of anti trans.

People on here with long thought out arguments and counter arguments demonstrates the desperation of those posters.

I’m edging on the side of the IRFU in this but the people on here who I’ve never seen before reduces their argument to agenda driven.

Sad housewives and miscreants who saw right wing posters descending from 8 chan at some point in their internet lives on rugby forums and Leinsterfans and who adopted it and are trying to make it legitimate and acceptable. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

Can we just deal with the issue at hand rather than lowering the thread to this sort of right v left nonsense please? I would consider myself left leaning politically and an advocate of LGBTIQ+ rights along with supporting many other socially liberal initiatives. But the idea of trans women participation with women in any sport is absurd. It devalues women's participation in sport and is downright dangerous in many disciplines. Women's participation in sport is greatly threatened by this sort of nonsense and your reductive stance on this in bringing it into some sort of left v right argument is a complete strawman. Thankfully you've stopped short of referring to us who see the logic in the IRFUs decision as Trumpian.

….and the presence of these blow-ins? Who are these people and why are they here with their concerned citizen slant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I read a poster on another rugby forum allegedly name them but the moderators banned the user and deleted the post.

Its worth noting that the players (supposedly) named weren't playing at AIL level. One was playing at a very junior level.

Personally I feel that if they aren't playing at an elite level their name should be left out of public discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a public forum, not a private spot for you and your digital mates to exclusively sound off! The current topic extends far beyond rugby anyway and that concerns people. I see you're barely a wet week here yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Do you have the same attitude to those who'd only be here for the 6 Nations, and wouldn't have a clue otherwise...

Yes it’s a public forum. Nowhere did I say they weren’t welcome. What I did say is that they are not regulars here and that casts question marks over their motives. Is it just a coincidence these people are here or is it something more coordinated?

You are perfectly welcome to your opinion is that misgendering does not exist. It does though.

A trans woman in this thread earlier was referred to as he. She was deliberately misgendered with male pronouns because She does not identify as a He.

Whether you like it or not it exists and it has even been determined that sitewide rules apply on it.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/110864714/#Comment_110864714

Terry Pratchet

I'd say it's from noticing the thread title trending on the front page of the site, it's hardly being orchestrated in private groups here or elsewhere....

There's even a name for those that only come in for the Six nations and its definitely a derogatory term

Yes you’re all just concerned private citizens

You see a topic trending that you take an interest in, you post in it, pretty simple. Plenty of forums that I'd hardly ever go near, but might see something that catches my eye once in a while

One thing stuck out to me here; what makes you think "false appropriation of a biological status which they are not" only worsens their mental health over time?

I'm not trans nor have I ever spoken to one in person but my understanding is the exact opposite of what you are saying here is true. They just want to be accepted as the gender they believe they are. Being "mis-gendered" would lead to worsened mental health over time.

One of us has this backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You’re here since (apparently) April? That’s hardly a storied history of posting here.

In any case, it’s entirely possible to make a reasonable argument completely independent of this. Would it not be better to engage with that argument, rather than trying to undermine it by attacking a lack of posting history?

If you feel so strongly about it, it should be easy make a counter-argument.

Advertisement