Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The combined Waterford Councils are actually fairly sensible about planning. The Waterford coastline is conspicuously the reverse of the ribbon development that scars Galway Bay from the city out to Spiddal.

On that basis alone there would be zero chance of planning permission for houses ever being granted for the airport let alone the scale that would justify a €20m purchase price and the fact that the Council would be apoplectic at losing what it sees as a huge potential asset to the city.

Wrong and shows how little you know about aviation, the coast guard heli's require a runway for safe acceleration and de-acceleration.

They also require the navigational aids in poor weather.

Outside of this they also require Air Traffic Control, aviation fire crews which are all present at airport's.

Moving R117 to a non airport base would require the construction of helipad/apron, taxiway, runway, navigational aids, apron/taxiway/runway lightning including approach lightning ATC, coast guard base, fire crew base.

You could move it to cork alright, but it's current position is ideal in Waterford due to the high level of boating activity off the Waterford and Wexford coast

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Fair enough not my area of expertise.

What about the tender for continuing with the four bases? I know they were trying to bring it to three bases.

They could easily move to cork airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork Airport has very frequently significant fog problems

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Which even lead to a very serious accident there about ten years ago

Then it would be useless for the south east and east coast which is where it actually serves. Including inland waterways. Imagine waiting for a helicopter from cork if you’re drowning in the river Barrow in Carlow. Might as well be dead already

Thats not a good enough argument, the same argument could be made about someone drowning off skibbereen and awaiting on a heli from Waterford or Shannon and Carlow could be covered by R116 in Dublin.

Your other argument is correct however, on how active R117 is due to how active the south east coast is with shipping, hence it's location in Waterford.

They could and that notion has been floated around before, all they would require is a new hanger to be built to accommodate coast guard services.

That said you are then moving the service away from a very busy shipping channel off the south east coast, coast guard services have worked very well in Waterford for a number of decades so why change what isn't broke unless for political reasons.

Sligo airport lost commerical airline services prior to Waterford and are still operating with coast guard R118, the same could be said as that could be relocated to Knock but then you are exposing the whole North East area.

These bases were originally picked on good solid merit so why move them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the Comers' plan/motive is here. I'd be surprised if their plan is to run the place into the ground and get a housing consent on the site to replace the airport. Mainly because the PR from doing that at WAT would be horrendous. So I don't think that's what they're at, they're not that naive.

Does the investment maybe come with a lot of associated land that they could get rezoned without having to completely mothball the airport? Maybe get their housing permission that way while still permitting a skeleton passenger service and the rescue helicopter at the airport to keep the locals happy?

We'll have to see what comes out as and when any deal is announced. I agree to an extent with the poster who mentioned the Corrib Great Southern example - I'd take some of the PR that might be spun here with a pinch of salt and judge the investors on their actions instead. If there's talk of business parks and hotels and the likes I'd be conscious that what is initially proposed for a green field site is often not what ends up getting built on it.

I agree there has to be more too it than just the airport, they are some oil fields off the south and south east coast, they were once to difficult and costly to drill for oil, but with advancements in technology it could be a case we see off shore oil drilling, that could tie into a lot of other businesses, such as flying workers in and out of the rigs, accommodation near the airport etc.

Then is it a case they see Waterford expanding, invest in the airport, while also buying up land in and around Waterford, in time this land sky rockets and they make a fortune from it.

Do they see Waterford airport as the ideal location to transport racing horses from the various studs not to far from Waterford, surely big money in that. Coupled with proximity to rosslare for cargo etc

Is it a case they know Willie bolster well, he gets them to invest in the airport and he gives them something in return.

All 100% mad notions running around in my head as I'm skeptical of this as the two lads must have another angle than just the airport as in my view there isn't a whioe lot or return in regional airports.

I can see 100% why Waterford can work but two lads from Galway investing 20mill into Waterford airport, for me there had to be more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

We have enough experienc ein Waterford to know that nothing is certain until it is certain. Interested to see what develops. I dont nderstand why some people are on this forum telling us that things wont work or that we should not be pursuing the development of the airport for any number of reasons. If it doesnt work, it doesnt work and thats that. Why should we stop trying for what we believe in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

People are a bit confused by this because airports in Ireland apart from Dublin, aren't really conventional profit making enterprises. They rely on Government funding to prop them up.

Waterford hasn't attracted investment interest like this before, not because of a grand conspiracy, but in light of the fact that it seems to be very hard to get a return on investment.

Optimistic about the Comers apparent interest. The population is growing and Ireland will be a more attractive holiday destination in the years ahead to escape brutal conditions in continental Europe and parts of the UK.

Can't see how the lads will do anything other than lose money on the venture however.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

lot of negative nancy's on here, I'm sure the Comers will be looking to take on a few financial advisers from here soon, keep the ear out

Again, as pointed out, regional airports are not profit making and most likely never will be. I saw a report saying they're looking at an airport operation of an average of three departures a day over the course of a year, which would probably translate to something like two flights a day in winter and four flights a day in summer. So basically a service to one of the low cost London airports, probably Manchester or Liverpool and a couple of flights a week to Faro or Alicante in the summer season. That kind of skeleton service is not going to be remotely profitable for them and no doubt government will be left to pick up the tab with funding to keep the place going if that's the plan.

The big question though is what's in it for them out of this? My guess is a significant land deal as that's the only way they can make money here - their investment in the airport may well be used to justify other development or rezoning in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

I don't really care if its going to be profitable for them... its not your money so you don't gotta worry either.

build it and they will come is a great mantra that the south east has got to push on with now, with many of the potential things that could be happening, all it may take for Waterford to click into major growth is one decision like this that will be a domino effect on the others.

I think it’s a shame the airport is not back running with just turboprops as it had been doing. It would make the business case for and after the runway extension better rather than starting from scratch then. Did they give up after VLM left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Agree with this. Have relatives in Connemara. The amount of one-off houses that has been allowed is just shocking. Parts of it has been destroyed compared to when I was small and what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Waterford is also pretty dreadful for one-off housing. Nowhere in Ireland is immune from this blight.

• Advertisement

You probably should care if you want it to actually happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was really nobody else that would be interested in operating in 2016. Stobart had decided to leave, Flybe had decided to leave, VLM restructured. All have since gone under.

Loganair and Eastern had no substantial ops in airports that would make sense (a London area airport, Birmingham, Manchester being the most likely to work) at the time, meaning any route would need to stand entirely on its own, carrying the full costs of both stations.

More recently, Loganair might have been interested if some route support could be found - but I suspect the focus has been on getting the runway done. The reality is that, if the extension is done and jet airlines get interested, UK routes could still end up being turboprop with some sun destinations on jet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Actuallt east co Waterford is relatively free from one off housing. Most housing has been directed to urban areas like Waterford city, Tramore or Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If you think Waterford is as bad as Galway I suggest you take a drive on the street from Galway city to Spiddal. And I mean street, not road. That’ll be the much sung about Galway Bay on your left. If only you could see it past the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Valhalla90

News & Star saying work could start as early as September!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Never said it was as bad. I said it was bad, which it is in comparison to what you find in most other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

I've just been looking at the airport on Google maps, it seems like there are houses at either end of the airport boundary? Obviously that extra space was for an eventual expansion but I wonder what's the story with those properties? Will deals be made or will there be problems?

I've only found this thread recently so I'm quite excited (but not expecting too much) to hear about the recent developments of my local

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...maybe they ll be given grants to help insulate from sound, similar to dublin, and happy days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I don't know if there's enough info available to determine this but is it known how large a plane could land in Waterford Airport once the runway extension is completed?

When finished it's going to be 2.287km in length and 45m in width.

Can, say, a 747 land comfortably on a runway that long?

Advertisement