Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Indeed. Well aware they all support this farce.

A “refugee” that swans back and forth to its homeland isn’t a refugees in any actual sense. The only good thing is that it shows the scam up for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭golondrinas

New model Rav 4 on Ukraine plates parked outside (on double yellow lines) local dole office Yesterday. I know of one Romanian who is living in a 350,000 house paying 40 euro month for it. He rents his home in Romania. I found this out when he told me he had to go back to to carry out repairs. A Latvian guy's boss told me the lad got several years FIS arrears paid to him by social welfare. He promptly gave up the job went home put a new roof on his house installed central heating and found himself a tenant. He returned to Ireland gave up the house share he had and brought over his wife and kids. He didn't fancy paying his way here with wife and kids so got himself signed off work on medical grounds. Now with the wife and kids as leverage got himself a house in the same estate as the Romanian for buttons. The taxpayers here have been taken for a ride long before the Ukrainians heard of treasure Ireland on the outskirts of Europe. I acknowledge there are a lot of decent eastern European people living here and working hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I know of one Romanian who is living in a 350,000 house paying 40 euro month for it

Jaysus, who is renting him a house for €40 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I don’t have access to the online Indo version but those who have the physical paper and see there’s a 2 page special on the critical lack of students accommodation without mentioning once that we’ve given it away to Ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

It’s crazy. It’s like it’s been agreed among all of the MSM not to publish anything which may highlight to people what exactly is going on. Or are they scared to point out the facts out of fear of being branded xenophobic?

The lack of student accommodation has been an issue for years in fairness but to add fuel to the flames like they have is just nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"I don't believe you when you say some are leaving their accommodation to be reunited with loved ones."

But also

"They're crashing with friends in Ireland."

Yes. Exactly! That's what I **** said. You're displaced across Europe after your home has been invaded and you've potentially lost people, or your friends have - of course you're going to try and meet up with them. It's a normal human reaction!

Anecdote and hearsay.

A house for €40/month? Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

How much do tenants on disability and no job typically controvute to rent?

I recall some council tenants don't actually pay rent in some districts (rent arrears).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Yes, there are some decent people among ukrainians coming here, but as far as i can see, very, very far and few between.

Went to my local beach yesterday. It is normally a quiet place. there were several large groups of ukrainians doing barbecue, music blasting loudly, food and drink, rubbish left afterwards (bags with nappies, beer cans, wrappers). they loaded themselves in a Jeep with UA plates. When they were leaving, a woman politely pointed out that the bins are in the car park and they should take the rubbish there, they pretended they didn't understand her and then just laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Crisis all over the country for our own people too.

"""He says: “I am from Limerick and a job came up in Ennis. I thought I could probably go back to Limerick and it would be a lot more affordable.”

But as with Dublin, the hunt for rental accommodation in either Limerick or Ennis has proven extremely difficult.

He says: “There might be six properties in the whole of Limerick city on Daft at any time. Ennis is pretty much the same."""

So what you're saying is these alleged Ukrainians (you presumably walked up to each group to listen to their conversations, to determine they were in fact Ukrainian. You'd need to that to hear them over the music blasting loudly!) - but they behave exactly the same as Irish people? 10 tonnes of litter removed from one beach a couple of weeks ago. So it's not just the Ukrainians littering, by a long shot. Maybe these alleged Ukrainians saw what the beach was like when they arrived and just decided to follow local customs...

~ https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/over-10-tonnes-of-litter-removed-from-one-dublin-beach-as-sunseekers-leave-beaches-in-a-mess-41852485.html

This time of year, there’s always stories about the lack of student accommodation. Along with tales of how expensive it is to send the children to school Then we hear about the student parties….

Same behaviour as Irish people. Leaving their mess for someone else, or the sea, to dispose of.

If they are able to crash with friends for 7+ days they don’t need accommodation. I made plenty of other arguments against you in that post you seemed to have ignored :). You keep calling out peoples posts here highlighting the negative impact of the Ukrainian influx. Do me a favour and find some positive stories to balance it out instead of just calling people liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

ah, smarty pants here, i see ))

What's your point? You want to encourage bad patterns? Just because "some locals do it", it's ok for everyone? Get lost.

People come here on full board, free and ready handed to them. and they have no respect for the environment, they show no intentions to work here, they do not bring anything to the local community, half the time (if not all the time) they lie and bull***t their ways (the local group was saying they were from Bucha only after while it turned out they were from completely different places. When asked why they lied about it, the answer was along the lines: well, everyone knows here about Bucha from the news, so we thought people would be more helpful if they thought we were from there... - like, why, oh why would you lie about things like that?... "More helpful"? how much more helpful? local community provided them with everything, literally everything, from, accommodation, school places to food, clothes, money, entertainment!)

That's completely illogical. Should someone lose a council house because they go on holiday for a couple of weeks. I can crash on someone's couch for a few days and still need somewhere to live. Take your own advice and try to see the positive in helping people who've been displaced because of a **** war!

Get lost? Get over yourself.

You honestly expect us to believe you wandered around a beach, walking up to various groups of people to find out where they were from. You're either lying, or you're a little bit touched.

Who has no intentions to work here? Most of the Ukrainians I've met are working - chefs, kitchen porters, and cleaning jobs, mostly, if their English isn't strong enough for customer-facing roles. But you just come on here spouting anti-Ukrainian rhetoric and expect to not be called on it.

The contempt they have for us and Ireland is palpable alright. Even their “dear leader” feels the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119466931#Comment_119466931 There was an error displaying this embed.

I live in the real world, where people still save up, live within their means and buy a house. Not everyone expects da gubberment to provide a home for them.

What real world is that? At €320,000 most wouldn't even qualify for a mortgage. If your suggestion is to have zero life for ten years or so, until they could afford it themselves, then you are most definitely living in fantasy land/ 'cloud cuckoo land'.

I just did a quick count of the young people under 40 years old in my circle. In the past 10 years, 12 of them either built or bought their own homes. I doubt that any of them paid anything near €320,000. Probably due to most living in country towns or in the country itself.

In the past 10 years, houses were a lot cheaper, it is in the last 10 years things got worse under that dozy lot. 50 years ago many bought houses for €5k. What is your point? That people got houses for cheaper years ago? Of course you always have some nonsense 'relatable' story.

If somebody hanged themself, you would probably wander around the funeral telling all of their friends and family that you know at least 50 people that bought ropes, but none of them did that.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119467478#Comment_119467478 There was an error displaying this embed.

That's the 2nd time you brought up the parties. What point are you trying to make, or are you seriously trying to rationalise the fact that the Ukrainians getting homes over the students from all over the world getting accommodation being okay... Because parties?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

It’s language used to paint the Irish as undeserving sinners and the “poor” Ukrainians as martyrs

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

In led to believe planning permission has went in for a refugee camp in Donnybrook and another beside RTE

The locals won't be happy there posh areas will be dealing with this now too

Where are you getting €320,000? Most recent house was bought for half that a year ago.

Thankfully the vast majority of people have a positive outlook on life, not begrudging negativity like you and your ilk.

Try looking on the bright side. It’s much better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119467670#Comment_119467670 There was an error displaying this embed.

Hows the Ukranians getting on that you have in your house?

They working? Paying towards their keep?

Ha ha you’re not serious? Must be a right few Bob in it for another government crony so

The official numbers working are tiny so highly unlikely on that front

You are completely illogical. A person in a council house isn’t here because of a war begging for refuge because their life is in danger. Then proceed to not work and use their social welfare and zero bills to go travelling back home and on holidays all over Europe. This was is the best thing ever to happen the Ukranians. They are after getting EU citizenship through the back door and are getting treated better than Irish citizens in the process. The treatment they deserve is the same given to the Syrians where 100’s of thousands of people have died in the last few years. Take in a few thousand max which will be as much as our resources can afford. Not this free for all that they are taking full advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

They hit the jackpot alright the Ukrianinans. They were happy to see the country get levelled just so they can get EU access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Looks like it is making more sense now as to why they are letting so many in.. The Developers get to sit on their pockets of land with all of the full planning and keep Schtum, while the government get to fast track more areas for developments for their buddies. The last fast track ended during the year and the developers didn't have enough time to scoop up as much prime land as they hoped.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119467670#Comment_119467670 There was an error displaying this embed.

Where are you getting €320,000? Most recent house was bought for half that a year ago.

As mentioned MaryAnne - They featured in "The News" - And many more.

Thankfully the vast majority of people have a positive outlook on life, not begrudging negativity like you and your ilk.

Try looking on the bright side. It’s much better for you.

The vast majority are living in the same 'real world' that you claim to inhabit. I have a very positive outlook on life, but I also have a realistic one, and I (as many others) are very much aware of who is to blame.

They also know that if they want to continue to have a positive outlook in life, they need to stop this insanity. Taking in way more refugees than we can handle and throwing money at them. Either we have been paying way too much tax for all these years filling the war chest, or the idiots in charge are borrowing too much.

Either way it needs to stop. We currently have almost 2% of all Ukrainian Refugees in the EU and rising. Even if we stopped taking them in for the next week that number would rise. It makes zero sense, but FFG are trying to convince us that it needs to be done.

I doubt anyone gives two sh*ts about the people you know getting a cheaper house. They are far more concerned about the lack of availability of houses for themselves, their children or friends and relatives, while the Government make all sorts of stupid promises to sort out another country in the farthest parts of Europe. One may I add that is not even in the EU. They are now tripping over themselves trying to accommodate a dwindling minority so they can accommodate more. It makes no sense other than there is something in it for the government and their cronies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement