Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now 30.0c on the AWS in Durrow just before 2.15pm. Screen most likely 30.0c+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

29.3 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Oak Park and Moore Park fighting it out for highest temperature, wonders which Park wins today...both at 30C for 2PM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Moore Park 30C at 2pm, we may get 32C somwhere today but I think at this stage 33C is definitely off the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

I don't have an accurate weather station, but the thermometer outside is reading over 30 in the shade in the sheltered garden. This is likely the hottest day we've had since last year's heatwave in July. The northeast breeze is incredibly warm here today - a very unusual thing.

All week has been glorious here, the breeze keeping things in the low 20s mostly.

Not bad for the west coast in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fekin bastards they are, fly in front of the TV all the time, and when you go to swipe them they instantly sidestep you😫

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see it's already 30c at oak Park could hit the 32c I'd say, 20% chance of hitting the 33c, hazy here in Carrick 29c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

2 pm dewpoints. Distinctly drier in the south midlands. There's a real gap in the network there in the Tipperary area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Wind totally gone now in North Cork. 31 DegC it’s reading atm… a day for the ages here.

• Advertisement

Slightly over 31c in Durrow at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Here on French West Coast temps have been 36/37 since Tuesday. Was 33c til an hour ago (3pm local time) and now suddenly its only about 27c - tomorrow its forecast to be only 23c.......

It's a race.

Oak Park OKPK 131400Z AUTO 12005KT 9999NDV NCD 30/13 1013 MSL=

Moore Park MOPK 131400Z AUTO 11005KT //// // ////// 30/13 1012 MSL=

Shannon and Mount Dillon coming up on the inside...

SHAN 131400Z 04007KT 9999 FEW040 29/12 1013 MSL=

MTDN 131400Z AUTO 09007KT //// // ////// 29/17 1014 MSL=

Remarkably low pressure around the country for such good weather. A really slack pressure field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In turning off all devices before I went on hols I turned off my weather station - missing out on likely the hottest day of my lifetime in Cork....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oak Park and Moore Park still 30C at 3pm, not sure we'll get much higher than that as sea breezes are getting quite far inland. We may get 31C somewhere but I don't see us getting much higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Shannon with a late Shannon surge , as it does, to peak at 5.30pm and sneak the 32. 29 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I could have some thunderstorms this evening, Midlands look favourited, cloud has bubbled up now

Oak Park 30.2 at 3 pm, 0.2 lower than the same time yesterday.

Shannon 29.3, 1.2 higher than the same time yesterday.

The 13Z run of the hourly updated Swiss Nowcast model, showing the hot zone over the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, I had it in my head that the anemometer mast would be a pole rather than something like that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon reporting 30°c at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Moore Park, Oak Park and Shannon airport all 30°c at 4pm.

You can detect a bit of sadness that today probably won't breach 32c. But isn't it amazing how high the bar has gone this week and we have an all time August record.

1995's was on the second of August. By 12, losing 4 min daylight a day, you have a day 40 min shorter in daylight. So truly remarkable what temps are reached.

And you're 2 hrs shorter in daylight than 26 June 1887.

Who knows with Shannon. I'd say still 25/1 to reach 32c🙂

Durrow AWS (Davis Sensor inside the Stevenson Screen) recorded 31.6c a few minutes ago. Highly plausible 32.0c or more on mercury thermometers. Will verify later.

Either way, both AWS and mercury records from June 28th 2018 are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I came home on the bus from town and omg, the sweat was dripping down the back of my neck. It is roasting today! There is a nice breeze though when outside and it’s nice in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Two record breaking spells in one summer, I remember 1995 well and I feel this has been a better summer all round, one for the books. Maybe the new normal?, time will tell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its fair to say these very warm interludes are going to become far more common, 2 or 3 a year and maybe longer than a week or 10 days at a time

Advertisement