Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2022-23 - mod note in OP 12/03/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What have leopards ever done to deserve that humiliating comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I know united are not blessed with options but how has Bruno been consistently picked for the last 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

well they have PSG target Marcus Rashford, one of the top money's no object clubs in the world and he's their number 1 target allegedly

They must want him to reform the school lunch policy around France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont even want to see whats going on in this thread 🙈

• Advertisement

Is that his height? Is he the smallest CB in the league? Surely must be, or at least very near it

I think I saw him sitting on a booster seat in the dugout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not Manchester united's best hour of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Steve McClaren looks like he’s loving life. I’d say he’s just thrilled to be in that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cannavora was 5 9 , one of my favourite centre backs, played with a few who were small but read the game well and took no prisoner in comparison to some taller lads. thinks Matinez is 5 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Oh what I’d give for United to be next on Amazon’s All or Nothing series.

Roy Keanes analysis will be good, if hes doing match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ten Hag has to take some responsibility two months waiting deJong when he would have strengthened that midfield with players who hadn't played the Ajax way.

Buying a 5ft5 CB for £57m to play in the preimer league

Not looking to buy a striker.

Letting Dean Henderson go out on loan.

Looking to buy Raboit and Arnautovic

These are all on him.

McTominay os a piece of work. That’s 2 horrible challenges in a week now. He’s going to seriously injure someone soon.

Ronnie is still on the pitch has he even touched the ball in the second half

Edit I could say the same about Bruno.

The Brenford & Brighton managers would do a great job rebuilding Man U however they wouldn't even be given an interview.

The last time Man U lost the first two premier league games was the first season of the premier league and sure they went on to win it then follow the history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Martinez if 5-9 (1.75m),so while I'm wont to defend anything United do there is no need to exaggerate.

It's hilarious though, 10 years this season without winning and getting further from winning it by the year. United looking to the past giving more influence behind the scenes to Fergie, Robson and McLaren apparently is going to see them languishing for another decade.

As a Liverpool fan in the 80s and 90s,I've seen this before, it's much more enjoyable this time for, but fvcking crazy stuff from United-so many bad decisions off the field in recent years, too many to list here really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

On top of everything else that United kit is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Things really have gone drastically downhill for Man United ever since the players stopped eating apple crumble & custard with their dinner last year. "What's Cristiano eating?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

At least they can all learn from Cristiano's professionalism. Every cloud and that.

Gary Neville needs to take a look at his ownership of a football club and how badly he and the other members class of 92 are running clubs and the damage they are doing to the lower leagues before they have a go at the glazers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No manager could get Utd team to work. Full of millionaires who are happy stealing a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tinpib

It was bizarre that Sky Sports kept repeating that United had never been 4 goals down at HT in the Prem Lg. They were 4 down to Liverpool at HT last October, hardly an obscure event, was pretty memorable. Weird how they didn't correct themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Are you sure they didn't say "4 goals down that early in a match"? i.e 35th minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tinpib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was out all day , didn't hear any scores until I switched on MOTD.

Funny stuff. Great to see the Utd crumble continue.

Neville really making the point that the Glazers aren't spending their own money. Why would they? They are businessmen not a charity. Clubs should be self sustainable.

The players and manager need to take most of the grief for today.

Dé Gea and the centre backs, Ronaldo and Fernández flapping their arms in the air. The dressing room is rotten when you see players at that stuff. Ven Tag not strong enough to weed out the bad eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

It’s amazing watching Harry Maguire. The amount of times he fixes his hair in a match…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's not only just that they aren't putting money in, it's that they are taking money out. They are the only set of owners who take dividend payments out of the club at the top end of the game - £11m this summer. £23m last year so on...

The club has just had it's worst ever PL season with the squad in total need of a rebuild and they are there with their hands out.

If you want to judge them purely as business men, then fine. They have turned one of the biggest clubs in world football with one of the best squads and one of the most impressive stadiums / training facilities into a team getting played off the pitch against Bretford and Brighton while the stadium and training facilities fall into disrepair.

And they got there through a method that is now illegal in PL - loading the cost of buying the club onto the club. With the total debt of this ownership still at the same level 17 years later.

They aren't business men, they are opportunistic parasites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He'd complain if other owners spent their own money too. Hes long since been a good pundit. Not a peep out of him when his mate was busy bumbling his way through management.

Ole got a 2nd place in a Covid impacted season in which rivals had loads of injuries. , City, Chelsea and Leicester all won trophies. They got lucky and it lead to the thinking that mediocre players like Harry Maguire are right for the club.

Glazers have always been bad. Woodward terrible and has done so much damage it's nuts. The Pogba circus. Should've been chucked out when Mourinho wanted him gone. Then ole. Gurning his way through fixtures. That was the final nail. That appointment set the club back so much more and it was already hamstrung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Elsewhere..people thinking Jesus was a bad transfer for arsenal are nuts. He's going to score plenty there

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

United are just back to being theg club they alwas have been, v

They mix up the "United way" with what in reality is the "Fergie way". They had the golden years under Fergie and now its just back to what they are, Its just most supports only no the Fergie Era,

They'll have the odd success here and there like the rest,

Unfortunately City are top dogs now & I'd imagine in 5 years it'll be between themselves and Newcastle every season,

Its just the way football is Liverpool had 15 years at sea from the early 90s up to 2005 ,It happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fernández is on loan at Preston for the season, strange to involve him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Iirc it was just one person here who kept saying it over and over again tbf 🤣

What would it take to buy out the Glazers?

They would want close to £5B for the biggest club in the World since Chelsea went for £4.25B

Old Trafford needs to be rebuilt or a new stadium built that’s close to another £1B

The squad needs to be rebuilt over a couple of transfer windows that probably another £500m to a £1B

So you are looking at close to £7B from new owners who really has that kind of money to throw away as it would take a generation to make it back if they ever did

Also who’s to say they won’t do the same thing the Glazers have done and starting milking money out of the club when they see how much money the Glazers are getting out of it.

• Advertisement

Jim Ratcliffe has it. And he's a United fan. Which was why it was strange he wanted to buy Chelsea.

United fans have been all over the shop for far too long, far too silent when the team was still winning and then easily silenced in more recent times with a few new shiny signings when things started to look a bit militant. If they don't mobilise en masse now to get them out they never will.

The Glazers will hope their old trick will work again if they can get FDJ and some others in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

United's transfer spend is consistently in the top 4 so the problem doesn't lie in the amount but how it's spent. Juve for instance must be wetting themselves from their dealings with United.

Very reminiscent of the Hicks/Gillette Liverpool days with money thrown at flavour of the month players with no regards to how they fit. But as long as people could eat their official Man United peanuts on their official Man United mattress nothing else mattered to Woodward.

Practically crying arguing with Rednapp, hes lost the plot as a pundit, used to like him, ever since the Super League think he has the answers to English football , no sense of balance , the Glazers wern't playing yesterday and managers have been backed financially , but good players Sancho/Maguire/Shaw seam to rot when they go ther - Its not all on the Glazers, as bad owners that they are - TenHag seams out of his depth already - needed a Conte for me, maybe even a Keane to do a clean sweep , and get commitement and confidence back, and clean out all the egos and bad attitude and laziness.

It was embarrassing what Redknapp was trying to do. You could see the frustration on Gary's face as he had to explain it once again to Jamie.

This is a long term issue at the club. It is not just down to this weekend or last weekend. The Glazers are ruining the club on and off the field. That's before we go back to the attempt of joining a super league boxed off from all competition so they can continue to milk the club without fear of it dropping too far down.

Honestly have no idea if Jamie is just on the wind up or he's just that dense.

Gary is spot on in everything he said. I only wish he had spoken up more previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The Glazers didn’t want Conte because he’d expose them for what they were. They simply wouldn’t back him and ETH is finding out now that he will not be backed either.

Conte had no interest in the project because he wouldn’t get backed financially or the players he wanted by the Glazers. Levy would and tbf has done so far as well as other investments in the actual football side of things.

If a business/football club is constantly failing, the buck stops with the people at the top. They’ve no interest in putting the right people in key positions because they want yes men to keep the gravy train rolling sucking money out of the club for as much as they can get. Hence the mess the club is in.

Not sure Jim Ratcliffe does actually. Google has his net worth at 13.2 Billion but obviously that will be made up of assists he owns etc..

I think it would take a bid of ~5B to buy the club. Then the stadium + training ground need investing and so on. The deal would hopefully clear the Glazers debt in the 5B but we are still looking at close to half of Jim's total net worth at around 5-6B in total.

He won't have that just lying around and if he sells off assists to get the funds then he won't be worth anything close to his current value.

The problem we have really is Utd is worth so much money it is such a small pool of potential buyers without selling your soul to Oil states looking to sports wash.

I'd love it to be Jim but can't see it. Maybe if he could get a few more to invest with him but then billionaires don't tend to invest in things without some decent returns.

He was willing to stump up over 4 billion for Chelsea very late in the process so I don't think its that fanciful. Estimates I saw this morning put his wealth at 28bn but yeah obviously that's not just cash sat in his account.

OK, I was wondering, because Burnley was bought up using a similar model last year as well.

I have to laugh as one of the posters above suggesting Keane is the answer to United'S problems, I'd absolutely love to see that! Be pure box office, and hopefully a fly on the wall documentary crew are involved too, because given his record it would be a complete car crash! They'd definitely be heading down to the championship with Roy at the Helm.

Sky must be wetting themselves though, having himself and Neville on as pundits. Both produce more heat than light, and all they do is rant about The United Way and how it was in their day 25 years ago. Its pure comedy, but it's not analysis and shouldn't be treated as such.

Neville has had a go at management (failed) and is now a (part) owner of a club, so let's see what he can do there, all they've done so far there is throw money from outside the club at it and distorted the transfer market at that level, while Roy..... Look, I won't go into his record less I be treated as some sort of troll.

I'm no fan of Ferguson, particularly his personality and stuff, but to be fair to him his status grows with every year he's retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s bizarre that they didn’t want Conte.

The Glazers have no problem spending money on players, they just don’t really want to put effort into modernising they club. They’re happy to give each new manager money but the current state of the squad is a mish mash of players previous managers asked for with some players no other top club wanted.

I’d put Conte in the same bracket as Klopp and Guardiola as a manager that players would be interested in playing for regardless of the club - like right now, for a top player, United just isn’t an attractive prospect. Not in the CL and 5 other projects in the league that are much likelier to be successful. Conte would have been a major plus point in convincing players to join imo. He may have been short term and ended up storming out but he would have been an ideal short term manager to improve the squad at least.

If they’re only going to go after yes men, it’s just going to get worse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement