Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salman Rushdie attacked on stage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Definitely, put the blinkers on and excuse other religions. They are all in the same bag in case you've missed it. History explains it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Very true, but people aren't arguing cause or motive - they're arguing demographic background.

This 'religion of peace' jibe makes that very clear.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think that the West is desperate for Iran to come in from the cold and give us cheap oil so will be interesting what the political reaction to this will be. Funny the Saudis can chop up an american citizen and still the US president will kiss their feet while the Iranians are still thought as the ultimate evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

This 'religion of peace' jibe makes it very clear that we're arguing religious and not demographic background.

There is no argument to be had about cause and motive since it's very clear: a peaceful leader of the religion of peace called upon the peaceful followers to kill a man over a book. So far they succeeded to kill a publisher and a translator and they were very close to kill the main target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that I'm reading this right, is your argument that throughout history Christianity did similar, or even worse things? If that's so then yes, no one can deny that, but using this argument actually implies that islam is hundreds of years behind, which I'm not even going to argue against...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think the middle eastern version supported by saudi arabia and iran maybe that way but the majority of the 2bn muslims are not in that region. I wouldnt think of the indonesians or malaysians or even Turkish as being that backwards. The religion of peace insult is not actually accurate for alot of muslims. The Iranian mullahs are definitely POS but at least the Saudis seem to be slowly modernising.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A religion IS a demographic background!! So is age group.

And you seen to be falling into the same trap of tarring one billion people with the same brush as one leader.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When eventually a person is murdered by and in the name of Islamic extremists and extremism here… you WILL have someone on a thread here, wondering what we did to provoke the killer, wondering what opportunities we didn’t bequeath said killer, wondering how we should have done more to accommodate said religion and associated Muslims and fanatical elements of the religion…

murder / attempted murder has been the most abhorrent acts that another human can commit on another human. That is a decent human value held sacred and dear in EVERY decent, fair and caring society worldwide…. In every decent, fair and caring human.

we should in no way EVER seek to compromise our value system to help, to suit or enable the comfort or wellbeing of others. Especially when they’d advocate killing you for disagreeing with them.

that’s not civilised that’s not peace (are religion of peace wasnt it ? ),

Both politicians and civilians need to give their heads a wobble here as to what’s happening…

“I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” is a quote attributed to Voltaire or Elizabeth Beatrice Hall… whomever said it, it’s as true today as it was in the moments it was uttered first..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

• Advertisement

Ok so, but I'm not tarring the people, I'm tarring the religion and I do it very unapologetically. This is the only mainstream religion with billions of followers that have leaders calling for people to be killed over books and drawings and this needs to be recognized as a big issue. And if that offends some sensibilities so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Ahh...the poor enlightened woke just can't bring themselves to call out the lack of tolerance from the religion of peace in committing this clear hate crime.

If a bible thumping Christian attacks someone, its no holds barred.

But the woke cowards are silent. Maybe if Rushde identifies as gender fluid they'll speak up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The fact the people are afraid to openly comment on this shows what a grave state the world is in right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see the contradiction between the two videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Religion dominated societies so it influenced societies therefore religion is…

So called revealed religions are an enemy of humanity and always have been. Those who promote the grip of superstition and mumbo jumbo are despicable

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Was also the case of the murder of the Japanese man near Dundalk around Christmas 2017. Wasn't clear that there was a direct link between that case and Islamist terror but media reportage very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah that was a strange one. Faded from the news very fast.

All Eyes On Rafah

Oh ffs, this is the attempted murder of a 75-year-old grandfather over a grudge from nearly 34 years ago. A grudge based on lines in a book. And the attack was carried out by a young fella who wasn't even alive when the fatwa was declared.

The above is fanaticism and indoctrination of a frightening level. And it's in the name of Islam. Not any other religion - Islam. Therefore, criticism of fundamentalist Islam is perfectly reasonable here - on this thread, about an attempted murder, caused by... fundamentalist Islam. It does not mean hatred of all Muslims, it does not mean blaming all Muslims. Christianity today is not comparable - would people ever quit with that absurd dishonesty (and I'm not religious). There are fundamentalist Christians out there - and there are really messed up churches aligned with Mormonism/LDS in the western United States, also in Africa - I obviously think they're appalling too. It's possible to criticise both. But they don't carry out campaigns of terror like Islamic State, the Taliban, and individual jihadists, like we've seen in Europe, and now this one, over the past eight years since Charlie Hebdo. And before that too.

Either way, what difference does it make when you notice that others do bad stuff too? How does that mitigate anything? And any empathy for the victims?

Whether it's this, Northern Ireland, "I suppose there are no white paedophiles" (in response to the sex abuse rings in England) and "I suppose we have no rapists" when that poor girl was gang raped... whataboutery is one of the lowest of the low as a form of debate, and it completely lacks empathy.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

See the attacker is denying attempted murder lol

What! You stabbed him for love, you fcuking Muppet?

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When those 2 men were murdered in Sligo, some one on boards was blaming the LGBT community for not taking the views of the Islamic community in to consideration.

It wasn't Princess Consuela Bananahammock just to be clear, as far as I am aware that poster came out against the attacks.

We should be aware though that equivocation and selective condemnation, distraction and derailing are often utilized by many of these posters.

Northern Ireland threads are the ultimate for it. Any of the lowest of the low from KKK inspired loyalist thugs, "what about the other crowd?" It's relentless. They could just start another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I said that and I stand by it.

Religions have caused endless suffering and mass murder and still are today - for what exactly? So people who should know better can indulge their wishful thinking?

The atheism forum is quiet these days because the debate is over. Religion is dying throughout the developed world - even in the US.

In Ireland we need to finally separate church and state and secularise publicly funded schools and hospitals. Then everyone will be free to practise whatever religion they want - and equally free to not practise one at all - and the taxpayer will have nothing to do with it either way.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

All I'm saying is, that any religion is as bad as other. My point of view.

Depends on the religion and its interpretation surely. Obviously Buddhism or a take on Christianity that is just based on love, compassion, looking after vulnerable people... is different to the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints church, or sharia.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Buddhism gets a free pass, "peace and love man", but look at what's happening in Burma where Buddhists are persecuting Rohingya.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Does not negate your original statement that Religion was the dumbest invention ever. It could not be. While religion has many, many problems (as does many other ideological structures in todays society), it became a driving force behind many technological and social progressions in our shared human history. therefore quite simply, without early religion, humans could not have made some early sciences or social constructs possible for the species to develop or evolve into. Dodge the issue all you want by going off topic into taxpayers etc, you are simply wrong in your initial assumption as to religion as the dumbest invention ever.

To keep things simple for you,

here are some other inventions that are pretty stupid and have had no long term benefit to human existence or progress since or before antiquity.

Diet Water, Agent Orange, Spray on hair, The Microsoft paper clip thing, freon, etc, etc, I could go on. Point remains, from your dumbest invention prize, its not even close!.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

It does not matter which sect or demographic you speak about. No true Muslim will tolerate any derogatory or indeed any negative reference about Muhammad. Even to depict him in any form is a crime, as the Charlie Hebdo staff found out. The difference between them is how they will react...here in the West, protests etc. in Iran, Iraq Saudi etc. most likely death will follow.

Advertisement