Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Coming in from the south

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Some display of lighting over claremorris at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Amazing light show in longford, looking towards Longford town. Flashes every 3 to 5 seconds and constant thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Hopefully it goes right over me thunder getting louder but still flashes every 5 seconds it's pure bliss

A couple of photos taken from the phone. Lightning is so frequent that I can get still photos quite easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wow there should be some great photos that's some nest of strikes there even on the radar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A bit of life just resurfaced in the Longford area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭esposito

Met Eireann mentioning “intense lightning” where thunderstorms occur. Interesting day and night ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, i'm rubbing my hands in anticipation 😎 bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭typhoony

If you were planning your day the Met Eireann forecast is short on detail

• Advertisement

Latest

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If I wanted to get close to some of this weather activity today does anybody know roughly where might be the best place to go? I'm guessing Offaly would be a good place to start around lunchtime and then follow radar / visual? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Probably anywhere in the midlands would be a good place to start but storms could pop up anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wow

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 14 Aug 2022 - 05:59 UTC Mon 15 Aug 2022 

ISSUED 07:02 UTC Sun 14 Aug 2022

ISSUED BY: Dan

A rather complex forecast evolution is anticipated on Sunday as an upper low near Biscay merges into a digging upper trough approaching from the Atlantic. A hot, well-mixed airmass covers much of the British Isles, while cooling aloft occurs as the upper trough advances gradually eastwards. The net result is increasingly unstable profiles and the greater chance of thunderstorm development. Given the complex evolution model guidance naturally varies on timing and placement of possible showers/thunderstorms, and this casts some uncertainty. 

PVA on the forward side of the Atlantic trough will aid development of thunderstorms across western Scotland on Sunday morning, expanding into central and northern Scotland during Sunday afternoon and early evening, before moving offshore to Orkney/Moray Firth while weakening. These could be quite electrically active for a time, possibly with wind gusts of 40-50mph locally.

Meanwhile, additional surface-based thunderstorms could develop during the second half of the afternoon and into the evening hours in southern Scotland, north Wales, Cumbria, and parts of Ireland (especially southern and eastern areas), aided by low-level convergence and/or orographic forcing. For much of England and Wales profiles are too dry and deeply-mixed, with little support aloft, to generate deep convection, but a few heavy showers/brief thunderstorms may be possible in mid/north Wales where orographic forcing plays a more vital role - but these may struggle to last more than an hour or two. However, for southern Scotland and portions of Ireland, weaker capping and stronger support aloft suggests a greater potential for a few well-scattered thunderstorms to develop in an environment with perhaps as much as 1,000-1,500 J/kg MLCAPE and ~30kts DLS. Therefore, there will be the potential for strong to severe thunderstorms if cells can remain relatively discrete, capable of producing large hail, torrential rain and gusty winds. CAM guidance suggests the potential for one or two storms to exhibit rotating updrafts, which would enhance the hail potential and cell longevity. A SVR has been introduced to highlight the risk of large hail, perhaps 2-3cm in diameter in the most intense, well-organised storms, for wind gusts of 40-50mph and flash flooding. The relatively high cloud bases (at least initially) and weak low-level flow should generally limit the tornado threat.

As the Atlantic upper trough continues to advance eastwards, renewed waves of thunderstorms will be possible during the overnight hours, particularly in parts of Ireland and Scotland. Greatest focus appears to be central, southern and eastern Ireland where thunderstorms may grow upscale into a larger complex, perhaps aided by strong outflow/cold pool generation. The large hail threat will probably reduce should this evolution occur, but flash flooding and gusty winds will continue to be a threat. Elsewhere, a few showers/odd thunderstorm cannot be ruled out in Wales / NW England during the overnight period, and also perhaps towards coasts of SE England / East Anglia as PVA on the leading edge of the earlier Biscay upper low advances from the near-Continent - although confidence on much in the way of activity is too low to warrant a SLGT at this

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

Is the MUCAPE chart the one I should be looking at? Total novice but trying to plan some storm chasing with my avid storm loving foster son. Might not have to go anywhere if I am reading the chart right. Storm might come to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Going to be an interesting day and night! The most interesting for years potentially lightning wise 🌩🌩🌩🌩🌩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hoping something pops off in Limerick, just got a break from " it's too hot!" 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

This evening could be rather spectacular across the midlands and south/east! Wonder will there be a tornado or two towards the late evening as things develop and merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

Not the best but footage from my security camera around when I was awoken by the light show

About 15km from Longford

I would usually pick a town on the shannon, anywhere from Athlone southwards, the midlands storms quite often use the line of the River, not sure why but I've been fishing many times on the river and seen this happen

When they use they word "intense" you know that there is the potential for some nasty storms, I think the places that had the highest temperatures from yesterday are again likely to have the biggest storms, could pop up anywhere. An interesting late afternoon and evening coming up

Portumna would be a good place, there's high ground 5 miles to the east of the town where you can get a view looking a good way south east

Thanks. Right so, off on my first 'storm chase' with little to no knowledge or experience other than what I've read here over the years. Sensed when i woke up this morning this could be good...no doubt it will be disappointing but overnight bag with me just in case.

Wife and kids back later this evening after a few days away. Need to figure out how to explain 😄.

Duplicate.

• Advertisement

A short clip of the Longford storm from last night. I was quite distant from it but it still gives an indication as to how active it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Are you sure?, the quality looks much higher than sat24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

This was a view of it from west Clare. Looked quite odd as it was just one big cloud flashing away and not being able to hear any thunder despite it being dead calm. Also was great standing out watching it at at half ten at night in shorts, t-shirt and barefoot with the concrete feeling so hot 😄

https://imgur.com/k6RX0km

Thunderstorm across parts of Ulster

Warm and Humid in Kildare this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tornado?? are the conditions favourable for a tornado?....anyone know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like something brewing off the waterford coast

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Not initially I would have thought but it is possible as it gets later in the evening and things become more low level with smaller cells possibly merging into bigger storms.

GFS eyes most significant activity across the South Midlands early tonight building eastward. No guarantee of lightning activity in any one spot particularly further east but the chances would appear to be high. Quite hopeful. Let's see what starts developing later this afternoon.

cell off waterford coast seems to be heading towards wexford

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Will I get my first decent thunderstorm since 1985? Probably not, somehow Meath always misses out! Some places will do great this evening around the midlands and maybe north.

Does anyone remember a really whopper of a thunder storm back in the 90's would have around Wexford opera festival and the last night where they set the fireworks off. I remember we were driving back to waterford and there was massive crawlers going every minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Oh dear Lord!

Status Orange - Thunderstorm warning for Ireland

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Thunderstorm activity expected. Due to the sporadic nature of development, not all areas will be affected. Heavy downpours of rain and hail will occur in places. Flooding where heavy downpours occur. 
    • Valid: 15:00 Sunday 14/08/2022 to 09:00 Monday 15/08/2022
    • Issued: 13:02 Saturday 13/08/2022
    • Updated: 11:15 Sunday 14/08/2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Another met eireann warning, Thats it confirmed then, we're going to get nothing now. Clouded over already here so expecting the rain part anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭esposito

That’s the jinx then. We’ll just get the heavy rain part of it. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Orange Warning from Met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

I am surprised they were so slow to upgrade it. Even a casual observer would know it warranted more than a yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Definitely have noticed the thunderstorms following the Shannon basin many times. You see similar with the river Suck valley too.

We're often in the 10km wide dry slot in between, in our T-shirts watching monsoons on both sides 😃

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Met Eireann issue an orange level thunderstorm warning before the actual storms have formed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Never seem to get much where I am in Cork anyway so this is the final nail in the coffin!

High level to the west of the shannon would diminish the risk of storms in western counties

High-level cloud I meant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,431 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thoughts for County Kildare?

Big motor racing festival on in Mondello today, I'm interested to hear if it might be at risk.

Advertisement