Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

Medvedev self destructed there,Krygios was there to be taken and Medvedev gave him break.Krygios is not the fittest so if he gets any assistance from opponent it energizes him.I have seen Medvedev implode before ,hes flaky at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Kygrios 11/1 to win US open if theres no Novak is interesting! alcaraz an insane 7/2 Sinner 11/1 as well.

Kyrgios's serve is a huge advantage when it's working - he only gave up 2 break points today in total over 3 sets and saved them both

He won the Washington tournament last week without even one drop of serve

Kyrgios had 8 break points on Medvedev's serve in comparison

Over 3 sets Kyrgios can beat anyone

But over 5 sets in the 7 rounds of a grand slam I still wouldn't bet on Kyrgios though to go all the way before the tournament starts

Yeah hes really starting to cop on to the sheer talent he has. His serve is truly incredible. Definitely a danger at US open. Yeah draper is exciting , definitely think.he will break into the top 30.

Yeah fair point , he is playing like a top 5 player at the moment anyway , evidenced by being joint 5th fav for the US. Defo agree with the 3set comment, has always struggled with concentration over 5. I just think the way he won that today after the shocking tie break is a big sign of his current mindset.

• Advertisement

yes Krgios has been harnessing his talent better this year for sure but the bar was very low from him in that regard for the last 10 years

he's still an arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Norrie tonked van de Zandschulp 6-1 6-2

Dan Evans has taken first set from Rublev

All three Brits through in the Canadian open. Good win for Evans who has been in poor form against Rublev.

But....Jack Draper beat Tsitsipas in straight sets (first victory against a top 10 player) he started the season outside the top 250...this will take him inside the top 70. In truth Tsitsipas was dreadful but still.

Complete prat all right and one whos deserved his wasted career.

I didnt see it but great win from Draper , good temperament to see off a big gun. I wonder can he get by monfils.

• Advertisement

Zverev is only 25 points short of getting to world number 1 after Medvedev loses to Kyrgios

As the defending champion he will lose not far off 1000 points

Zverev didn't play there last year so not dropping any points there

But he wouldn't have held it for long as he (Zverev) won Cincinnati so will drop those points himself at the end of next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I would love one of the people in Kyrgios players box that he keeps moaning at to say him "stop your moaning ya prat and play tennis".

Draper got past Monfils (he did retire in second set though)

Evans also best fritz.

Norrie beaten comfortably by auger aliassime, disappointing considering he beat him in a tournament last week, but I am guessing home crowd helped him raise his game.

3 Top 8 seeds make it to the 1/4's in Montreal (1 in Toronto)

I expect that to be better next week at Cincinnati

Of course top players like zverev and Djokovic not there. And Nadal

But some players continue playing small clay tournaments when it's going to be hard court for the year so should transition to the surface in advance of bigger masters tournaments. A few of the bigger names who went straight in to hard without playing a prep hard court tournament have gone here. Not all players can get away with that

Hard to say who will go on to win it now.

Kyrgios on form I suppose

Tommy Paul is decent on the hard surface when in form, if pretty bad on clay and grass, having beaten other top 5 and top 10 players Zverev and Berrettini in the earlier masters swing already this year on the surface as well as Alcaraz here so could have a shot at getting to a final (but not win) if he can keep his level up. Polished off cilic with relative ease

The other side is tougher with Kyrgios, hurkacz, FAA and ruud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadal is playing Cinci I'd say?

Kyrgios is definitely my favourite to win Montreal, dismissed De Minaur yesterday and is playing some great stuff in general. Seems to have found some sort of groove/inner peace that he's never had before. Looks much more content and focused on court now.

Yes Nadal will be at Cincinnati next week.

Even though had just mentioned cin "there "was referring to Montreal this week but do see how it reads

Hurkacz might give him a match - beat him on grass in their only match so far (this year at Halle)

Kyrgios looks in bother...down a break in third set to Hurkacz...good contest so far.

Kyrgios is on the way out

He was a damp squib in the third set - fizzled out like a dud firework

Umpire took no action for at least a couple very audible obscenities

For all the perceived coolness of dumping on Ruud he was very good and hammered FAA giving him his worst-ever tour defeat for just 3 games.

His backhand looked good even and some nice lobs.

Not one for your home crowd.

• Advertisement

Draper gave Pablo Carreno Busta a tough first set but was totally overwhelmed in the second set.

But still a good tournament from him and up to world number 55 in live rankings.

Another good win for Dan Evans over Tommy Paul...plays Carreno Busta next.

Raducanu lucks out and draws on out-of-shape 40-something in the first round of Cincinnati.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Raducanu draws Serena in the opening round of Cincinnati is I think what glasso was trying to say.

Love these totally random draws that we sometimes get 😉 I'm sure Raducanu is delighted to get the chance to play her before she calls it a day, quite a lot of the top ten likely won't get the chance.

I'm not sure what this match-up really offers up given the respective fortunes of both parties over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I would think Raducanu is dreading playing her as she seems to be dreading playing just about anyone right now

Maybe. I thought she'd love to have a crack at her while she has a chance.

Haddad Maia having a good run in Toronto after her great grass-court season, just started her final against Halep. I wonder if she ever gets asked about her prior doping ban in press, seems like the kind of thing that should be asked of someone who starts playing well out of nowhere.

PCB wins his first Masters 1000

Not a flashy player but very solid - a 2-time US Open semi-finalist - hardcourt is his best surface

Raducanu a slight favourite vs Williams but neither of them are going to be challenging for the title at the end of the week either way

Jesus I'd no recollection of PCB making the US Open semi's. Fair play to him winning his first masters anyway. Always nice to see a new winner, and particularly at the ripe old age of 31.

Meanwhile, Cori Gauff is the new world #1 in doubles at just 18 years of age. Youngest #1 since Hingis in 1998!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Time for the 2 old warriors to go at it.😀

• Advertisement

Murray nearly blew it by reverting to being too conservative as he did too often over his career

Ironically cramps forced him to be more aggressive

Advertisement