Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• The Pimlico Tavern always looked very sketch any time I passed.

Furitive characters smoking in the door way and really gack euro trance blaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Noctors on Sherriff Street, pub always has shutters pulled down on windows

Its for locals only, no IFSC people are welcome.

They do a carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A local shop pub, for local people.

I don't think the IFSC crowd would be all that put out though!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There was seepage of the Sherriff St/Noctors crowd into the Lagoona and Drunken Fish in the IFSC. Drunken fish is a bit of a mad spot, it has(had?) relatively cheap booze, fri evening the place is full of Koreans doing karaoke, students, and some rough oul fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The off license next to it was unusual too! Just a generally mad spot.

The whole building, including the pub, license, off license, former bookies and 12 apartments on sale for 4.75m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Having been in many of these and after reading the entire thread, my vote goes to the old Claddagh Ring on Little Britain St / Green St (the place that is now the fancy 1661)

It had a big mix in the clientele, early morning manglers and right scaldy scummy f*ckers looking for a fight or a way to rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I was in it when it was the Capel Inn. What a hovel and terrifying kip it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Danye

In it one Monday morning myself and it had all sorts! But I thought it was great! Added to the excitement!

I love me a kip at the best of times. But the Capel Inn and indeed the Kings Inn back in the day, are the only pubs I ever left after a pint because of the vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Mac-Chops

My late Da always told a good yarn about there from when he was driving the Guinness lorries.

It would have always been one of their last stops on a run as, when they were off-loading the kegs from one side, a few of the locals were on the other side doing the same with whatever they could get their hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yep it's 100% the roughest shop I ever drank in.

Funny that the Capel became such a fancy bar; and the Kings Inn is quite decent now too.

Indeed. 1661 is such a lovely shop now TBF. That said, I've not darkened its door in 3 years. Must change that.

The King's Inn got noticeably better when I returned to DIT in 2014 it must be said. The period of closure obviously helped. Back in 2009 it was scary.

Its had another closure and uplift in quality since.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

I had the misfortune of being in the Capel once and thankfully never again. I had one pint and it barely touched sides. The best description of the vibe in the place was menacing with some seriously unsavory looking characters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The plough on abbey street used to be full of some characters ,

Can anyone remember back when the Legal eagle was an early house, another place you'd find some interesting characters ,

What was the boozer down at the junction of O'Connell street & Parnell street used to be a rough kip but great crack ,Only dress code was no caps , can't remember the name,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Parnell Mooney?

• Advertisement

Was Neary's on Parnell st ever a pub? Next door to finners. I see it was a hotel and guesthouse in the past, before being occupied by a crowd of anarchists and called the barricade inn. Was reading an article about it earlier, the owner died in 2002 with no living relatives, and a will that left the place to a parish in scotland was never executed, been lying abandoned for 20 years now.

EDIT: Probably should have put this in the pubs no more thread

Don't think it ever had a licence, although a quick archives check is giving me some hints that maybe it did.

edit: it had at least a residents bar licence from the late 70s onwards. There's a few hotels in Dublin that super stretch the residents bar rules even now...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Black Forge Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lived off Clonliffe Road back in College/early work days and, in our infinite wisdom, we decided to do a 12 pubs into town along Ballybough Rd:

• Clonliffe House
    • Blind Ref
    • Lowrys
    • The Bridge
    • Sunset House
    • The Strand
    • Lloyds
    • Mullets
    • Cleary's

Can't remember where we went for the last 3 (or indeed if we could still stand) but probably wherever was happening back in 2012 (Everleigh?). The 3 that stick out above are the Blind Ref which was hosting a going away party for a lad who had to hand himself into Mountjoy the following morning, the Sunset which was too small for us to hide and felt generally uneasy to be in (not surprising yer man got shot in there 4 years after) and Mullets which kind of resembled the bar in Shameless but was great craic. Not the smartest thing for 4 early 20s country lads to do but I still remember it and we still talk about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The locals probably thought yez were mockies...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

Sounds like great craic, there are some quality pubs in that bunch though. The Sunset is probably the most terrifying pub I've been in, some of the most dodgy looking characters. The Blind Ref story is great btw!

Advertisement