Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm really going to miss the warm weather. Tuesday to Thursday was the best of it here in Meath with sea breezes spoiling the heat potential since Friday morning, however the 7 days of almost unbroken sunshine was amazing. The next spell of good weather is likely to hit within the next 1 to 2 weeks but probably won't be on the same level of heat as the past couple of hot spells, however low to mid twenties will do perfectly as long as there is sunshine, considering we will be knocking on the door of autumn in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So instead of a few days maybe we could get a few weeks of sunshine? 🤣

If you want to worry, cancer or crashing your car should be before boiling alive in Ireland. Or just enjoy your time while you're above ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People worried about what their kids will have to face. Also, we are not isolated in Ireland. When **** happens in other countries people move. And food and water sources in short supply ...

Interesting times ahead

It's not just about a sun tan

😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Must say this summer has been notable for the lack of storm activity anywhere really hasn’t it? Except for thunderstorms. Hardly any mention of hurricanes etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If 5 days of decent weather has you worried about your kids future you shouldn't have had them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Is that 28.3c a Cork airport record? It's so high up you'd need nearer 30c in the city to get that 28.3c so it must be close to a record? Can't find actual record online.

Just in terms of tomorrow's breakdown, we had it here in Western France overnight, temps about 22c today, down from 33c yesterday and 37c the previous day. Lots of lightning overnight for those who like that. Could be similar tomorrow for you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes it is a record for August and its highest since July 1983. It had 28.7C then.

Previous August record was 28.0C in 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Many thanks Sryan. Is 28.7c the overall record do you know? Also, as Cork airport is only there since the 1960s, is 28.7c the county record do you know? I think Moore Park is new too and the other Cork stations at Sherkin and Roches Point are at notably cool locations so would not be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Very warm here in Waterford City temp is now at 27.8C at 1201pm

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com/

Yes it is the overall record for the station. The county record is 31.6C at the Glengarriff climate station on 28th June 2018. Glengarriff has recorded 30C in July 2021, June 2018, July 2013, July 2006 and June 1995.

The Moore Park 30C from Friday and Saturday is the first time that County Cork has achieved 30C in the month of August. The previous highest was 29.2C at Ballinacurra in August 1976.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

On Friday here in Waterford City, we had our highest temperature since June 2018, it reached 29.8C which is high for down here as we're not too far from the coast. We don't have an official weather station but the one I use for temperature https://www.waterfordcityweather.com/ is located in the city centre and I believe it belongs to one of the guys that posts on here. Fair play to them for the brilliant website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Light drizzle in North Donegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hazed over here now in West cork but calm and warm. About 28 degrees now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭mcburns07

30 degrees now in Cork city, oppressive with the humidity. A spell for the ages 😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not a drop of rain, and it all looks clear, so they got it wrong ?

Currently 29.1C or if you prefer 84.6F here in Waterford City.

1pm Met sites

oak park 28c

malin head 16c

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Malin Head 'heading' for its hottest day of the past 7🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Surprised at how green the grass is still in West cork, not seeing any yellow and it's not rained in quite a while. Assuming the condensation that was happening at night was helping it to stay green!

• Advertisement

What a 7-day AgMet report for Ireland! 96.2 hours of sunshine in an August week at Valentia doesn't happen very often at all, 310% of average! Dublin Airport had 95.1 hours of sunshine which puts it nicely into its sunniest weeks on record (since 1939). Impressive considering the decreased day length compared to June/July even though it's only had 12.3 hours less than the record sunny week in June/July 2018.

Cork Airport also +4.3C above avg with a mean temp of 19.5C.

This second week of Aug 2022 will certainly live on in Irish heatwave legends. An all-time classic in my opinion. One to remember for many many years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow above 28c at 2pm

Kilkenny almost 29c at 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sweltering in Waterford today, really squeezing the last of the heat out it. Let's Hooe we avoid any thunder activity until nightfall. Currently 29.8c on Waterfordcityweather.com humidity 41%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I only had them 4 days ago. Didn't know it'd be 5 days of decent weather. Really worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

28 in Carlow and 16 at Malin? A lesser difference was recently used to debunk the Kilkenny castle record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd love a bit of rain.

Good man Toby, writing off the warning before it even kicks in!

30.2C/86.4F here in Waterford City, it's the highest temp I ever remember in Waterford.

30.5C now at 230PM

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Dazler97

22c here in Carrick, had loads of thunder last night, fork lightning and all, also seen that constant flashes for a few seconds don't know the name but was deadly

• Advertisement

That's the max, already gone down to 29. After getting hazy and thankfully a lovely breeze after kicking up. Sensational day to finish the heatwave 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

27C at Dunshaughlin, 3C warmer than yesterday without any pesky east wind to lower the temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Was not expecting such a calm humid day again here in SW Donegal. When cloud breaks the sun makes it feel very warm and the sea is as flat as a pancake. I love days such as this.

I'm thinking that maybe the breakdown to cooler unsettled weather this week may not be as bad as has been forecasted. And talk of some signs showing good weather returning after next weekend. Happy times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Only 24c here it's cooler than yesterday but still plesent, hope we get more thunderstorms tonight last night was great

Galway Bay last night, a red moon and a lightning filled cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Kutebride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Similar here a dip in the calm waters of the Boyne this morning. Normally freezing cold.

Afternoon all hazy. I don't know if I'm reading into this but in the garden last two hours all peaceful and sun there in the haze, often breaking through, the blackbirds have been crazy the last 15 min or so in the trees. 🌡⚡😳🙈 Maybe it's nothing related to impending weather changes.

27⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Cracking day again in Laois. Clouded up for an hour 3 to 4pm. Full sunshine now. Feeling as hot as any day last week.

Wasn't expecting to get today out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Cloudy where I am in Cork. No breeze but nice and warm. Switched to bright yellow shorts today and have cider chilling in the fridge for later 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

The leaves on some beech trees have gone quite red as a result of the dryness. The ash aren't effected by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I hope we are not really complaining about warm dry weather in Ireland, especially after a very wet first half of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭lolie

Stunning photo but at least credit the photographer or put a link to where it came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Heavy rain with claps of thunder where I am now. Good thing I didn't fall asleep outside because if I did, my belly button would be like a swimming pool now 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

When the first rain shower appeared here in south east Mayo. I stayed outside for a few minutes under the facsia and stood there watching the rain and next thing this massive bolt of lightening tore through the sky and I high tailed it in doors. And was thinking that's weird no thunder then suddenly the thunder cracked and I could see the horses in the field next to the house perk up probably wondering what was happening.

Oh, I didn't take it, it is from last night though. I saved photo as I liked it, from feed on twitter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Left Luton today and it was getting into the low 30's, back to Kerry Airport and around 22C but the humidity would get you, house was baking when we got home, got up to 25.8C here in Kerry. Fan going beside me and reading 18.5C outside, house still above 25C!

Land extremely scorched in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

A lot of that ground in the east of England would be arable and it would be the yellow stubbles after the harvest. The give away is the pocket of grassland in the middle of the pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No I was drinking very heavy in them two fields for three days straight and pissed all over them which is why the grass is well hydrated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For sure a lot of arable land but not a bit of grass growing anywhere, all the sidewalks, embankments and parks were dried to a crisp, those greenish fields look fairly parched also. The taxi driver was telling us a lot of vehicles were overheating and blocking the roads and some bursting into flames, been some huge delays on the motorways.

Todays NASA Sat Pic showing the extent of the dried up land, Drought declared there for parts yesterday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

Dannos station now has the hottest August temperature on record. Just tweeted by Met Eirean

• Advertisement
Advertisement