Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

Night and day in terms of the weather in Norway for the men and women. Grizzly day for the men up north.

Heads up the track events are getting underway at the Euro's. On Eurosport at the minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Irish women's TP qualify

Yeah 6th place so in with a shout for a bronze I think?

RTE 2 showed Ryan Henderson's run in the BMX freestyle there. Good enough to qualify him for the final on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Delighted for both. Hope it pays off. I'm grasping but I saw some hints of form in Poland. As to their GC leader? Is Hindley on a promise for Kelderman or is it best man goes for it. Could be messy.

• Advertisement

They’ll probably do what they did in the Giro and keep their options open for as long as possible

Horrible luck in the elimination race for Alice Sharpe there, crashed twice. Nasty rash on her right arm after the second one.

What are other posters thought's on Sam Bennett's chances in the European Elite Road Race Championship tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

High class field so given form etc maybe a top 10.

Jackobsen for me to take the win.

These races can go anyway with the big nations often split into two different teams for two different leaders. If he’s fit and healthy Sam could medal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I forgot Nico Roche is in charge of Team Ireland... short interview with him here via Twitter ahead of the race.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Mads Pederson down the back in full chat with Ryan Mullen there. There break waving a people. Very relaxed there and given the setting they must have picked the flattest route possible through the valleys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,397 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I only started watching a short while ago. Is everything going okay for Sam & Team Ireland?

I saw Ackermann's crash... very nasty.

Yeah horrible looking in the replay, hopefully no concussion or neck trouble.

Interestingly Rob Hatch is calling the race for the BBC, he was quick to mention a few times during the Tour coverage he wasn't covering La Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is there a British team in this race?

I can't see any British riders.

If not, why not?

I noticed it too and not long after Matt and Pippa mentioned it suggesting it was down to budget after the commonwealth games, but surely British Cycling would be well enough funded to send a team to a major games?

They haven’t sent one to most European champs. Did in 18-20 but haven’t in any other years. Surprising, but nothing to do with commonwealth games afaik

I assume the Ireland jersey in about 20th place is Sam.

There is another Irish rider about 10 places further back.

And then another rider near the back of the bunch.

I would have presumed Mullen would have been able to stick with Sam the whole way and deliver him to the flame rouge

Sam coming up now 2km to go

Looked like Sam kept pace but picked the wrong wheels to follow

Best sprinter in the world won though

• Advertisement

5th for Sam. He stayed in the saddle for the entire sprint? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Looked to me that he was out of the saddle for the last 250m or so when he kicked but sat back down just before the line, but could be wrong.

5th is a decent result considering he’d no leadout train

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sam picked the Belgium's and it was a good call, if he'd went left instead of right in the last 300m he would have podiumed, looked at ease crossing the line in 5th. He looked very comfy and held the wheels he wanted from very early on. Glad he is looking like himself again.

Viviani came 7th in the road race today...

He then won gold in the Elimination Race this evening... 😲

Unreal was the track tonight. Gotta love 6 day meets!!!! Viviani with 200km in his legs got the tactics down to a T, what a champion. Lotte bossing it in the points race and taking 3 laps I think it was and the Brit who crashed up then down the track in the sprint who soldiers on with the burgers weeping through the skin suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Few more Vuelta confirmed teams announced, unsurprisingly Dunbar not picked for Ineos. Is that 5-6 GC hopefuls and they'll just see who's best after a week or so??

Roglic is in for Jumbo, with a full support team.

Mas in to help Valverde in his final GT, or will it be the other way around? Or just the 2 of them chasing each other.

Ben O'Connor & Yates confirmed to be leading AG2R & BEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

Ackermann was due to start right? He had a pretty bad crash yesterday.

Don’t know when they announced it but yeah, he’s on the “confirmed” list. About half the teams confirmed so far.

Should be a great GC battle with Roglic, Remco, Carapaz, Almeida and a load of climbers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Egan Bernal racing in the Tour of Denmark, his crash was like 7 months ago, only managed to get back on a bike 5 months ago and was still using a cane to walk, that’s fúcking insane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's funny we generally accept that teams will not bring departing riders to big races and grand tours but there go Ineos bringing Carapaz to the Vuelta. Dunbar should be glad to be leaving.

Advertisement