Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Those radar returns are from netweather.tv and the colour scheme along with the source radars they use (think it's UKMO only) can vastly overstate the rain coverage for Ireland. For example that swipe of rain that went up over Laois in the image shown only delivered 1.1mm here despite the presence of "heavier" colours. I don't think they use Shannon/Dublin radars - or if they do the feed is getting translated wrong onto their maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can be correct as well. I'm seeing no rain on netweather for south dublin, yet it's showing on met. Seen it here in waterford the same, showing as rain on one and not on the other. It's hit an miss as to who is right or wrong. I've also seen the rain show heavy on radar and then fizzle out in 5 10 minutes.

From wow stations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It seems that the ME website has finally fixed the location issue, but the android app still is broken. But the daily forecasts seem to be still missing sometimes on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

The Shannon radar is down on the one day you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Almost guaranteed to break down whenever there's an imminent event of interest. What a piece of junk it is at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Good old met eireann....i got up this morning in Limerick...lovely bright day...said to the wife lets bring the young lad to Lahinch....she said "but its forecast to be only 16/17 degrees today there"....

I said.... "dont mind those clowns in met eireann, we're going"

22/23 degrees in Lahinch...a glorious day....couldnt be better for a day at the beach.....

Met Eireann are utterly useless....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I think this may explain met eireann today...

Lahinch was noticeably quieter today.....maybe they wanted to hog some of the beach for themselves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

from 7pm to 8pm it's supposed to be sunny spells and from 8p on cloudy in waterford. From 7pm it's been raining here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

How do you know it was 22-23 there? How did you measure it? The car?

They actually forecast 19 for there.

Theres a very large temperature sign at spoonys fish and chip place down at the beach that read 23 degrees around 5pm.....i thought it was actually hotter .....the met eireann app was saying highs of 17 today this morning before we left....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Streetside signs are notoriously unreliable due to excess heat from the heated sensor box, walls, road, etc.

Shannon Airport hit 21.5. Ballysallagh 21.1. Carron (Burren, and closest to Lahinch) hit 18.3. Mace Head 17.9, Valentia 18.7.

I seriously doubt Lahinch got to 23. I would suggest that their forecast of 19 (more reliable than the app) was pretty much bang on the money. I think your abuse of them is unwarranted and fairly ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

FFS, you're actually saying that you are quoting the temperature based on a non-approved (assuming but I'd put a large wager on it) sign at the side of the road/stuck onto a building???? Jesus wept!

Met.ie Radar hasn't updated in the last hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Old site finally gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The old site is still there but last update was 8.15am

Updated to 3.15pm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

From the 23rd until the 25th the new north runway will be closed for weather sensor installation, I wonder if it's a new weather station on the north side of the airport, can't be anemometers as they are already installed.

NOTAM A2708/22: Dublin Airport (EIDW)

A2708/22 NOTAMN

Q) EISN/QMRLC/IV/NBO/A /000/999/5325N00616W005

A) EIDW B) 2211231300 C) 2211251900

D) DAILY 1300-1900

E) RWY 10L/28R CLSD WEATHER SENSOR INSTALLATION WORKS

CREATED: 18 Nov 2022 14:12:00

SOURCE: EUECYIYN

I wonder is it an ACS going in there? As far as I know the existing station is manually read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭tphase

not sure how that works exactly. I presume the met station is one of the ME TUSCON stations but the data is entered manually to the ATC system. ATC systems are completely isolated from networks but TUSCON stations (which are not completely isolated) don't normally have a local data output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

That runway would be closed then anyway given it presently ceases operations after 13:00 daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Looking at the forecasts before and after the RTE news there was quite a variation in the temperatures forecast for tonight. Why this inconsistency for forecasts broadcast just over half an hour apart. Presumably the post news one is the "better" of the two as it is newer and delivered by a meterologist? However the average person watching these forecasts cannot be expected to know who is a meteorologist and who isn't.

Not an exact science and forecasts get updated but still, if someone is in the Leitrim Cavan area there is quite a difference between forecast temperatures of -7 and -4

Edit: 3 hours later after the 9 o'clock news there are more differences. Leitrim Cavan temp graphic now -8 having been -4 in the previous forecast (also by Siobhan) and -7 in the one before that.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads, what's up with the Met E website recently? At 8.30am today for Cork city it showed it to be cloudy but dry, -1c with sleet and snow forecast for later. In reality, it was then 9c on my weather station (and others) it was pouring rain with precisely no chance of snow. And it's been like that all week. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

To illustrate post above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

1 o'clock news now has just shown the 5 day charts at the end, 25/23/23/23/21c for the next 5 days, pathetic stuff whoever is to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭esposito

Saw that. Hilarious. You’d think they would have someone to double check before it goes out on tv. He/she must have got the whole Christmas off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭tphase

they've removed the evidence from the RTE player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

The RTE player forecast tends to end before the 5 day slate appears so I wouldn't be too suspicious of RTE having done anything to cover up the error.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I would like to second this fluff up.

I nearly spat out my turkey curry😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Saw that too. One of those rare wtf moments... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Thought I was losing my mind/seeing things or maybe a poltergeist had entered the TV. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to see that.

Amazing how this sort of thing happens. Does no-one in ME check, even take a glance at the graphic before it goes on air for all to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Happened again tonight after the 6 news they showed next Tuesdays chart when it should have been tomorrow's chart for Friday which she was telling us about but Tuesday popped up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Can anyone confirm if the weather warnings on Met Eireann's mobile app still send push notifications or not?

I haven't received any in months even though they are set up correctly, have latest version of app, notifications are on, etc. Same issue on Apple and Android phones I've tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I haven't gotten any on my usual android phone either, but pulled out an old one and switched it on and they all came through. Older version of Android on it. Not sure how or why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

For all the people who give out about the ME Yellow or Orange warnings claiming it's hype, this is what can happen in an Orange warning area, and why it's important for everyone to respect the warnings.

Which makes me think whether a school bus should be driving at all under an Orange wind warning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for this and so often folk assume that only red and maybe orange are dangerous.Wind is a powerful force to be respected. Thtat photo makes the blood run cold. Terrifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another one on tonight's 9.30 broadcast "Christmas Night "

And the Met Eireann gremlins strike again.... tonight's 9.30 forecast.

Edited:

Oscar Bravo just beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Strikes again tonight they showed Tuesdays chart tonight they really are careless or just dont care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

I don't know where to start with the tabloid media's coverage of our weather. We know weather stories are used for clickbait but this one is up there with the donut polar vortex headline from last week.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Eireann really need to start publicly rebuking/challeging this sort of sh*t!

People read this sort of guff then give out about Met Eireann's forecasts being 'wrong'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ME website down. No radar on website or app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

That’s possibly the worst one I’ve seen yet. The only way to stop it is to fine them for utter shite like that.

For the love of...

Will ME ever fix the location bug on the android app? It constantly resets to Dublin. Has done for years! 😤

• Advertisement
Advertisement