Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What people are saying is that Russia is on a trajectory that is leading towards losing. They are somewhere along that curve. How soon and when is hard to say but it's been inevitable since the early days of this conflict.

Putin and his administration have beggared their country and sooner or later that truth will hit ordinary Russian citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Just on that (a charge of some "double standards" vs the citizens of other autocratic states), Saudi Arabia's govt. is unpleasant and I don't trust it myself, but it is not openly working to destroy us.

I don't think it is sensationalist to say that Russia's is since Feb. this year (it was hostile before then too, but at a much lower level than launching wars on the EUs borders and the govt. publically threatening EU members with use of force in future).

Its citizens should not get the easy access to the EU that they still have today for leisure and business + abilities to evade the sanctions as well by travelling to the EU to buy products and take them out etc. It just does not make sense any more (for multiple reasons).

The EU as a collective is pretty much entering a new Cold war, with Russia on the opposite side now - this will mean an end to all kinds of interactions, economic, social, political. Even if Ireland (Irish public, maybe the govt. too?) hasn't actually fully internalised it yet or still thinks its nothing much to do with us really, apart from giving some charity to Ukraine + wringing our hands.

The sanctions are already a "collective punishment" on Russia's population anyway, they're not just aimed at the regime. The desire is to strangle the whole Russian economy + make it hard to rearm and rebuild for more military adventures to the West (probably involving some EU/NATO member states next time if opportunity knocks for Putin or successor).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

You don't have to know what this guy is saying to get the message

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Much as I hate to say it, Russia seems to have the edge. Ukraine are a far better army but they need a strong air force badly. Something big needs to happen to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Yeah, objectively I think Saudi Arabia is every bit as bad as Russia, from the Yemen war to the funding of militant Islam to what it does within its own borders, but I agree it's not directly trying to destroy, say, European unity the way Russia is, sow disharmony within our countries, launch cyber attacks on essential infrastructure, etc. At least as far as we know. In that sense I see the argument for singling Russia out.

The flip side of that would be granting residence to people persecuted by the Russian state, opposing Putin, and looking to flee, which I would also support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Video of missile strike at Antonivsky bridge overnight

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They're all off to turkey on their holidays anyway ...turkey is playing an " interesting" game , they're kinda in NATO , they need Russian gas ,grain ,minerals and cash .. they control access to the Turkish straits ,

They've a lot to gain from a weakened Russia , and a lot to lose from a strong Russia if they're out of NATO ... Moscow has wanted Istanbul for centuries ... They'd have had it too of they hadn't pulled out of the first world war ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

I disagree. Both sides are now struggling to build any kind of momentum, Russia are scourging through the dredges of their prison's promising freedom just to build any kind of BTG. The simple fact Russia has had to reinforce Kherson with battle groups from Donbass gives Ukraine an edge on where they can dictate an attack. I don't agree on your point something big needs to help them, far from it, but what they may need is some kind of win just to show the west that they can indeed liberate some ground. The west is key for Ukraine and I dont think they will just turn the tap off, I think time is against Russia, Germany is making huge strides to wean itself off Russian gas, as one expert put it, its the biggest mobilisation outside of wartime for Germany.

Of course tactics can change and the Russians are learning from mistakes albeit very slowly. We are also heading into a very nervy winter where they could be a lot of political pressure across the EU. But Russia certainly dont have the edge...right now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ah that is very sad is it not. Couldn't happen to nicer people

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nope I’m definitely saying they’re already losing.

War being what it is, unfortunately both sides to a conflict can lose. Russia are losing - Ukraine are not yet winning but whether they ultimately will is unknown yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Ha, fight for nation integration. The only think that fat fcuk ever fought for was he way to the top of the queue in the local chipper.

He'd have a heart attack getting off the back of a transport truck

Putin dies and goes to hell. After a while, he's given a day off.

So he goes to a Moscow bar, orders a drink and asks the bartender:

Is Crimea ours?

Yes.

And the Donbas?

Also ours.

Kyiv?

We got that too.

Satisfied, he drinks and asks:

Thanks. How much do I owe you?

5 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

At least this guy could name a number of capitals that they're going to destroy, although I guess the missile threats are on repeat on Russia TV1.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

I've seen many of these over the last few months and what always surprises me is that they are well dressed in suits and ties.

Surely an appropriate attire (and gait) for such people would be a baggy grey trackie with hands on their nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Saudi Arabia is much more interested in increasing Sunni Islam around the world. Financing Mosques and Islamic centers and schools etc. increasing their influence in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Appropriate garb for these gangsters would be what ever is fashionable at the moment in the Black Dolphin prison..some where they will become acquainted with at some stage hopefully.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am sorry, but your comment that "Putin has beggared his country" has no basis in reality.

Russia has just posted a record current account surplus. The stuff that Russia exports and that everyone needs (commodities) are still sky high and despite best efforts, the rest of the world is still buying everything they produce. Out of all the advanced industrialised countries, Russia is one of the few that runs something that resembles a balanced budget. It's not all sunshine and roses, but the Russian economy is doing relatively well.

On the flipside, Ukraine is in a dire situation and is an actual beggar. For every €10 they are spending today, they're only taking in €4 of tax revenue. They have already deferred their debt. Their current government deficit is either being met by a combination of printing money to pay their soldiers and by whatever scraps the EU are throwing to them. They are 100% dependent on the kindness of strangers to continue the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many analysts suggest that the Putin regime is lying through their teeth about the state of its economy and absolutely nothing they say can be taken at face value. They are pathological liars and con artists and feel no need to tell the truth about anything - they may as well post financial reports in the fiction section of their local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, just ban the scum unless they aren't scum and can prove a history of brave vocal opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Russia with a record budget surplus that they cannot spend it (where it needs to... western tech). Do you really think the Russian people will benefit from all that budget surplus? It's more just a figure on a spreadsheet. Oil (a commodity) is actually down to pre-invasion price. Are countries really buying the new Lada without seatbelts? Is that a big seller? How's their arms sales? Countries signing trillion ruble contracts for airframes they may not get and if they do, they may not get parts due to sanctions?

On the flipside, Russia defaulted on their debt, Ukraine's debtors have agreed to defer payments. the EU/UK/US have committed to helping Ukraine rebuild after the war. They are not dependent on the kindness of strangers, the EU/UK/US are not strangers to Ukraine. And it's not to 'continue' a war FFS, it's to defend themselves, to prevent genocide. Do you think not continuing a war (surrendering) is an option to them?

They lie all the time, but the fact is that natural gas prices in Europe are up 600%. They are certainly shipping less natural gas, but they are shipping what's left at a far higher price. If the Russian economy was in trouble, they wouldn't be playing games, like they are currently with the Nordstream Pipeline 1 and gas shipments to Europe.

If you want to dispute the above, that's fine. What cannot be disputed is that Ukraine is insolvent. If they do not get €100bn a year from the West, they cannot afford to pay their armed forces, they cannot continue the war. This is even before we consider the billions of Dollars they requires in weapons to fight this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So because natural gas prices are up 600% yoy the Russian economy is doing swell? Their gas income is not up 600% yoy. maybe compare like for like and don't cherry pick figures.

The fact you don't realize the Russian economy is in trouble is baffling. Their economy is tanking, usually a country at war boosts their GDP, then again it's usually based on a country winning said war.

I don't think Ukraine's first financial worry is paying for their armed forces, I;m sure they could forgo a paycheck to prevent Russia winning. They have already been gifted billions upon billions of dollars worth of weapons with zero sign of it slowing down.

What did Russia spend their surplus on before? Yacht's from Italy, high priced fashion from France, London property in Britain. This is all gone now as Europe has sanctioned Russia from taking part in their luxury economy. On the otherhand, no sanctions exist on Russian energy, which has meant that while the flow of Russian money to Europe has stopped. the flow of European money to Russia continues. If Russia needs Western technology, they will have pockets deep enough to buy it on the black market. Maybe a ball bearing costs €2 instead of €1. Maybe a microchip costs €8 instead of €4 - as long as you have money and a global market, there will be a way.

Your second point is indefensible. Ukraine is absolutely at the mercy of strangers right now, they are neither in NATO, nor the EU, so there is no actual treaty or obligation that binds Ukraine to anyone else. While they absolutely have the right to defend themselves, they have no right to expect anyone else to pay for it, as the US/EU are currently doing. What happens if the Republicans take control in the mid term elections and pull the plug on funding to Ukraine? It's a nightmare scenario, completely out of the hands of Ukrainians and exactly what I mean when I say they are totally dependant on the kindness of strangers.

Their gas exports to Europe have collapsed to almost nothing (I posted graph few pages previous)

their gdp contracted 4% in a quarter, link few posts up according to Russians themselves, for perspective that’s what we lost during worst year of Great Recession

• Advertisement

west spent half a billion a day for better part of 20 years on Afghanistan

Ukraine aid is a fraction of that and it’s destroying Russias economy back to 19th century

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement