Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have dropped my fertilizer usage as well this year. It's a fine dry year on black damp ground, so no pressure with grass. But if you keep reducing the added nutrients it will hit production in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭kk.man

Totally agree... wait till next year and see the response to fertilizer where little or none was applied this year.

I remember years ago spreading small bags of fertilizer. I didn't have enough for one field so as I was going through a mean phase I said that's it leave it. The field was grand for that season but double the amount could not get it going the following year. I learnt not to be mean with fertilizer after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I have dropped my fertiliser usage back for the past few years, but I'm not under stocked or over stocked. Have got it to a sweet point now. Main fert usage (90%N) is for silage. Targeted slurry usage on ground and lime in last year's soil test results off of showed that ground that the index's were maintained at 3s and 4s. Currently stocked with beef cattle at 135kgN/ha. My Ps are taken care somewhat with the value of bought in ration.

Will be interesting to see where it lands in 2 years time. This year has just been a weird year grass wise as now we are paying for the great growth last winter and early spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It would be well into March here most years before we'd grt any fertiliser out. Could never understand lads spreading in January with the likelihood of snow and heavy rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Indeed - I think this year has maybe knocked some sense into many about the value of slurry etc. and adopting a commonsense sense spreading regime to maximize soil nutrient retention as to what time of year it should be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,591 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Been feeding humate powder to the cows. Supposed to improve dung nutrients and feed efficiency, reduce methane emissions, ammonia, adds the humic element. All nature works off humus for nutrients.

I'm the first dairy farmer in this country to feed humic powder to cows as a general trial from this company.

I may be the first overall here to feed humic powder to dairy cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

Lucky there is no cheap fertiliser then. And stricter stocking limits being applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Can it withstand cubing?

How much would it cost?

I've been spraying it on, but can't say anything about results really. Was spraying on with the urea, but the dry weather with little wet intervals , and yryi g to het away for holidays, has us back to comventional..

A 5 litre can, if what appears like just mud...cost €80😢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

Humic powder?? Sounds a con job.

• Advertisement

I'd say it probably would withstand cubing.

But then you'd have to be very precise in your settings on your feeder and not overfeed any cows that you thought needed an extra pull. It's just shy of 80 grams/d they're getting.

It is expensive though. It's the type of thing if the government are serious about reducing fert use and improving carbon stocks it should be subsidised.

Benefits so far to me it does look like it's reducing SCC.

But fert wise the dungs are consistent like above and you will not get any get any better manure/fertiliser than above. The carbon and humic acid has mixed in cow and no faffing mixing into slurry after.

For the life of me I can't share pdf's. I'll try another way to you Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

I can't get my mind to come to terms with the tiny application amounts..can't get away from thinking to have any effect, it wpuld need to have application rates similar to lime.

I keep visualising a dredger with a 5 tonne bucket in some hot sparkling sea, dropping the load on deck and and it being filled into 5l canisters with an 80€ tag attached.

Just need an education and a bjt of reassurance here say...😁

It's going to take you three years to get your head around the concept and principles of carbon, nitrogen and throw in now humus and soil life, what harms, what doesn't, what that all means.

It'll take you that long to work out what spraying you need or don't, suppliers of equipment, any soil solutions or homemade techniques.

I'm saying that as that's how long it took me. The soil needs to adjust too. And you'll need to know if it needs adjustment or not by testing.

Pretty much the suppliers of these are going to make a killing. But you'll save on granular fert and improve carbon storage, drought resistance.

Send me on an email address by pm or some other way and I'll send on what I have on the feed supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

i stopped using the humic with urea and went with a mixture of molasses seaweed bio stimulates and trace elements- getting a far better response for a small bit more money per acre €3

This stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭ginger22

started adding in the seaweed to mix here too with last few rounds, certainly getting an extra kick and also noticed a very fast recovery after grazing. Bought an ibc off donegal seaweed.

The thing about the humic is that what most crowds are selling is 90% water, rip off. You should buy the pure concentrated power direct from manfacturer.

There are also strains of bacteria for feeding to improve gut health and prevent disease, bacillus subtillis and bacillus lichenformis. The theory is that you flood the system with good bacteria, supposed to prevent calf scour and the like. Used a lot in pig and poultry feed.

There are enough nutrients in the soil to support crops for a lifetime, they are just locked up. It is just a matter of getting the soil biology right with the right microbes to release these nutrients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What happens when the nutrients are eventually all released, how are they replaced? Organic manure?

about 3 Euros a litre, use 1 litre to the acre.

But shure the soil is made from rock day one by microbes its just to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Where from pls

I see the UN are talking about getting fertilisers out of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. The said if there is no fertiliser, there is no food. Some bit of encouragement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Local merchant increasing price of 18.6.12 by 50/ tonne yday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Word is glanbia will be only buying in fert if customers sign contracts. They aren't willing to take the risk on the price dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭jaymla627

That's fair enough once the price agreed and payment terms are adhered to on their part, they'll probably have a force majure and fertiliser bought at agreed terms will be a few 100 dearer by the time its landed in yard

• Advertisement

Oops

Advertisement