Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well? They’re not.

However, Hamachi appears to be concerned that their children will not receive sufficient education to be in a position where they will join the 50% marginal tax rate club in order to pay my pension.

I, on the other hand, speaking as an economically active buffoon, share no such concerns as I’m not dependent upon Hamachi’s children’s educational attainment to pay my pension. It’s a good thing too.

Some posters are best ignored. They’re not worth entering into discussion, because they’re incapable of debate. I’ve come across plenty in my long working life. Blindly blinkered.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When that person, OAP or otherwise, is willfully advocating for policies that will potentially bankrupt this country, undermine the fabric of this society, and has a material and detrimental impact on those close to me, I’ll call it out and continue to do so whether they like it or not.

How will it do all of these things exactly? We currently have so much money we cancelled a recent debt auction. The cost of this has been accounted for and we have that money. While it really bothers some people, we are rich enough to afford it. Society at large is on the beach, either here or abroad and people who agree with you tend not to be a representative sample.

These apparently abhorrent policies are forced on us by Section 60 of our own International Protection Act 2015 and the EU Temporary Protection Directive from March. That directive states that it is for one year, with at most two further renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Er, 33% don't. I wonder did they do numeracy tests, too, and how that would compare to Irish people's results... 🙄

And when someone says "where's the xenophobia" and then proceeds to come out with xenophobic comments - "as a nation, that's how they are", etc. - then yes, point proven. That which was to be demonstrated. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I worked it all out for you in an earlier, read it again.

• Advertisement

So Ukraine wants to evacuate that area, what's that got to do with Ireland?

I had to show my vaccine cert to get a pint or a meal in 2021. Not this year. I've flown back into Ireland twice this year and haven't had to show anything except my passport.

So, er, yeah, probably?

Exactly they are just welfare shopping, economic migrants at that stage. And if they are economic migrants no free room and board should be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the impact on our lives will be felt way before we are due pensions I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think he's actually serious too!

Government has put 3 billion out of this year's budget to pay the costs for an estimated 100k Ukrainians next year. That's e30k a head per annum. They are paying hotels e135 per head per night so thats e50k per head per annum for housing costs alone. 3 billion ain't gonna cut it methinks. Maybe the magic money tree will pay for it- if not paddy taxpayer will have to pony up.

• Advertisement

The €135 is Dublin rates and only for one member of family. An additional €25 per extra person per room. Say a family of 4 in a room, that’s a maximum of €210 per room. Not €540. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

My concerns about the adverse impact on my children’s education are entirely unrelated to your pension ‘Jack’. I can assure you of that. My eldest daughter is in a class where 40% of the children do not speak English at home. We have since been informed that her class will be further ‘augmented’ with more non-English speaking Ukrainian children next month.

There is limited English language support in the school. Several Irish parents have already removed their children; more plan to go private in the coming years. Why? Because the teaching resources are being expended on basic language acquisition. This influx is materially impacting the caliber of education on offer in our local school. I too will go private to ensure that my kids’ education is not compromised. Luckily, I have the financial resources to somewhat shield my family from this errant policy. Others are not so fortunate.

I’m not dependent on anybody to pay my pension either ‘Jack’; you’re not in any way unique in that regard. However, I do resent people like ‘MaryAnne’ advocating for policies that are directly impacting me, whilst she herself remains entirely unaffected.

Oh and ‘Jack’ you should be thankful, that my wife and I are raising three intelligent, productive young minds who are the future of this society. I’ve no doubt they’ll shake their heads at much of the nonsense propagated on this thread by myopic, belligerent idiots, regardless of their age, level of economic activity, or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

€3bn next year. How many €bn this year? How many €bn in 2024, 2025, 2026……? The Ukrainians are going to bleed this country dry for many years come. The majority of them will be drains on the public purse for their lifetime. And it will be their lifetime as they will not being leaving Ireland, war or no war.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They can only stay for a maximum of three years under this directive. If we get beyond that you'd expect people to contribute to society a lot more. My own feeling is that very many will return home, some even in the next year but some will definitely stay. Even in that scenario the massive rebuilding post-war may persuade those too to return back.

I sincerely hope that your 3 young people can think for themselves and reject your bigoted beliefs. They’ll be much healthier for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119472914#Comment_119472914 There was an error displaying this embed.

Most young people indeed can and the tide is turning thankfully….when you are becoming a second class citizens in your own country and opportunities and wellbeing is compromised to suit new arrivals…. The tide is turning I can assure you :)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Many are already planning on returning to Ukraine. Mothers and children want to be with their menfolk. Those menfolk want to know that their families are safe so they can fight. They don’t want the distraction of their families being in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

That’s ok so. Will only cost us €10bn+ for 3 years. Then they will all leave after 3 years and we start saving €bn’s.

I think you are very naive to think the majority will return to one of, if not the poorest country in Europe before the current war began. What condition will it be in when the war finishes.

The housing minister has already said an additional 35,000 houses will be needed to be built to accommodate them. Why would he say that if this is all only temporary. How much do you think it’s going to cost to build 35,000 houses? Rough estimate off the top of head, maybe €10bn. And this on top of all their paid accommodation in the meantime. This madness needs to stop.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119472914#Comment_119472914 There was an error displaying this embed.

My three kids are growing up in a loving, stable home with two committed parents.

They’ll grow up to be clear-thinking, pragmatic adults who will clearly see through the nonsensical ramblings of a deluded individual, no matter how ‘sincerely’ they cling to their demented world view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Your whole argument appeared to be based around the idea that you personally were paying anyones pension. Naturally, that would extend to your children being in a position to pay anyones pension. If they’re not, it’s not because of anyone else, and certainly not because of anyone who is less fortunate than yourself, whom you would accuse of supporting detrimental social policies which personally affect you, while boasting at the same time of your ability to fund your children’s education privately and myopic, belligerent idiots and economic buffoons such as myself should be thankful to you…

I really have no reason to care for your personal circumstances in the first place, let alone be thankful to you for anything, but by way of being helpful, do say hello to Ruari for me 👍

https://www.nordangliaeducation.com/nais-dublin/news/2022/04/28/ruairi-quinn

Now I’m perfectly happy to let this thread get back on the topic of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland, rather than your continuing to use it as a vehicle to toot your own horn while pretending you give a shìt about anyone less fortunate than your good self who doesn’t happen to share your opinions of other people or the kind of Irish society they wish to live in which isn’t in accordance with your ideas for Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119472837#Comment_119472837 There was an error displaying this embed.

Fair enough re the e25. I see the e135 is the 'benchmark' rate. I cannot see many hotels in Dublin providing bed n board of 3 meals daily for e135 and even less for e25. I wonder how many deals are above the benchmark? Anyone know?

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/07/22/government-invites-tenders-for-supply-of-hotel-rooms-for-ukrainians-as-army-looks-to-purchase-more-tents/

How do you manage to generate such an inordinate word count, whilst saying nothing of any import? I’m intensely bored of you.

Agreed, let’s get back to discussing the uncapped influx of economic migrants to this country.

I told you already I posted the calculations earlier in reply to your rubbish maths post.

@TaurenDruid

Go look for it yourself. Basically it was 5,600 individuals working divided by 43,000 total.

Given there are more than 50k Ukranians here now 13% is a generous estimate.

It would help if you quoted the post you are replying to. Otherwise your post doesn’t make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Didn't you say previously you were an economic migrant yourself having spent a large bulk of your working life in another country?

Now your back and it's Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. 😂

Your kids will be fine, I imagine they will grow up with the perspective of how fortunate they are especially compared to literal refugees.

I also imagine they will learn to just nod and smile politely when their father goes off on one of his bitter rancid rants.

I’m in my 30s Boggles. I have many decades ahead of me, paying huge amounts of tax to the exchequer. There’s no ‘gimme, gimme, gimme’ here. Instead, it’s contributing huge amounts every year, which I’m more than happy to do if I feel that it is directed appropriately.

You have a fertile imagination Boggles, something you’ve displayed repeatedly on this thread. You’ll forgive posters if they are dubious that your personal family dynamics are applicable outside whatever peculiar bubble you inhabit.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

As an economic migrant did you travel purely to get all the freebies? If not I can't see how the two situations are comparable to boggles 🤷‍♂️

Looking for a decent education for your children as a taxpayer is hardly an attitude of 'gimme, gimme, gimme'?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119472722#Comment_119472722 There was an error displaying this embed.

I won't inconvenience you by debating the libertarian political philosophy of the late great Harvard professor Robert Nozick of which I am a proponent. Not that I'd think you'd be incapable or blinkered 🙄.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

paying huge amounts of tax to the exchequer

So you keep saying, but yet have offered no proof. 😕

I’m in my 30s Boggles. I have many decades ahead of me

You mean you hope you do, remember all of us are only one piece of bad luck away from disaster.

Anyway it seems to me you don't have to worry about paying anyone's pension, considering you spent the majority of your professional life so far not paying tax here and have now returned with 3 children, your tab is very much still ongoing.

But again that's a very crass way of looking at it, wouldn't you agree?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement