Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Trump take top Secret Nuclear documents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Still have no idea what you're saying. Trump hasn't denied that he took the documents.

He's simultaneously saying that he had already gave them back He didn't) and that it doesn't matter because he had declassified them anyway. (No evidence of that not that it matters because he is charged under laws that don't refer to any security classification)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't believe Trump to be a truly stupid man, but he is at least a very ignorant one when it comes to politics and its associated rules and regulations. This is the same man who held a party in the Whitehouse rose garden after the repeal of Obamacare passed the House of Representatives, without seeming to care that it still had to pass the Senate (spoiler: it did not pass the Senate, thanks to John McCain). However, the act of taking boxes of secret documents back to his home when leaving office and not caring if anyone noticed, or have his story straight as to why he had them, or having really any kind of plan as to what to do if he got in trouble for having them is a level of not only ignorance but utter recklessness that I would not have ascribed even to Trump. His current flailing about heavily implies that he really didn't think this through, so I suppose I must revise my previous assessment of Trump.

Can Trump wriggle out of this and if not, what's the likely timeline for him to go from teasing another presidential run to absconding and fleeing to Russia?

In the same way that we worry what Putin would do if he felt cornered, I reckon Trump will lash out if there's any chance of personal consequences for all his crimes.

He's been laying the foundations for civil unrest with his private army of heavily armed conspiracy theorists and these people are fully primed to believe this is a set up and a witch hunt against him

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I am just waiting for Trump to tout himself as the antihero for the disclosure movement and allege that he has documents regarding Roswell cover-ups, etc

Add in a relevant JFK Jnr theory, and you have yourself a secret sauce

Whatever hard evidence they will find, he will allege that it is a smear campaign and that the truth is out there

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Trump is out of office almost 2 years now I doubt the nuclear codes he has still work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

It is a concern the length his supporters will go to if they feel like their man is being unduly targeted, but at the same time, a lot of the people who broke into the Capitol seemed pretty dismayed when the reality hit them that their actions on that day carried a legal penalty. That makes me wonder how many people who claim to support Trump would actually pick up arms and go fight for him and how many are content to talk sh*t on Twitter.

We know that there are at least some militia types who'd like to cause trouble, but their absence from the streets of D.C. after the military were deployed following Jan. 6th tells me they couldn't handle a direct confrontation. So long as there is a decent police/military presence at places where these types would threaten to congregate, I don't think they'll be able to do very much. Lone wolf attacks would be another story, but that doesn't quite translate to widespread civil unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I imagine there are criminal charges for that too. Disgruntled ex federal workers can’t just blab about what top secret materials they saw or the nature of them. Even if he lied about the contents, convincing reasonable people he was telling the truth would be damaging enough.

This is only one kind of nuclear data and besides that handing someone old nuclear codes ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND

The codes rotate all the time. The methods don’t. It took years for the Allie’s to crack the enigma machine and it took top secret material (the machines and cyphers and signals intelligence) to totally crack it.

with enough “old” data pieces together someone may well one day crack it and launch some off with a pirate launch signal.

That’s setting aside all other manner of potential secrets: data about completely unknown of weapon systems and capabilities, anti-ICBM systems, or briefings like missile locations, deployment strategies and target packages, black site launchers, the number of dummies vs live warheads in our MIRVs. Weakness in and vulnerability analyses in our systems. Etc. The kind of data Russia etc could use to achieve First Strike

Not something to leave laying around, no. Not by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I don't get what your saying ?

Its like if I changed the password for my phone the old password would be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It was nuclear codes? Where did you get that information?

• Advertisement

And if you changed your password all the time and just gave out your old one - code cracking experts would eventually figure out the style and method of your passwords and be able to more accurately predict what your next new password would be. Especially bad if you had no idea that someone was getting copies of your old passwords.

Now imagine it’s the US nuclear arsenal (the one that can glass the planet 100 times over) at stake and not your phone

While it's improbable overall to regenerate the codes , the generation of the codes is programmatic so not truly random. So you're at minimum getting an idea of the format and length of such codes. No indication that is what he had but innocuous information can be powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trump took them because he is a business man and he knows the art of the deal is having something no one else has and are willing to pay a lot of money for.

The other things he stole are being presumed to be means and methods.

eg. Top Secret: Russia has a new model nuke

SCI: Russia has a new model nuke according to our mole in the machine shop

it can even contain declassified information as well, but include compartmentalized means:

declassified: Putin has a new girlfriend

SCI: Putin has a new girlfriend, according to photos sent to us by his housemaid

this sort of thing can get people killed in counterintelligence operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I would say a mix of ego and stupidity.

He'll be missing the power so wanted to take some with him. I'd say he'd be more bragging about having the info than selling it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Give the whataboutery a rest

Any more 'But but Hunter Biden...' etc posts will mean a threadban

Reminds me of the plot of Mission Impossible. Trump could have the equivalent of the NOC list, release of that could compromise all agents on foreign soil

That’s one of the things the newspaper outlets say he had: spy and informant payroll data.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

1. I didn't take them
    2. So what if I took a few documents, Obama/Clinton took some
    3. It's a witch-hunt
    4. The FBI planted those documents on me
    5. Fake news
    6. The Dems are up to something
    7. The FBI need to be investigated
    8. All of the above at the same time

Always the same playbook.

As to why he took them, he was openly fixated on the nuclear programme, kept revealing that the US had extraordinary nuclear technology, and wanted a return to the Cold war era stockpiles.

Compare this to the clear plastic totes that came out of Mar a Lago:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Bank robbers used to steal fine art so that if they got caught doing something else they'd have something to bargain with.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Trump is 2 of the worst types in one. A corrupt politician. A corrupt big businessman. Why he took these documents/what he intended to do with them probably will never be known but my guess is that he did so to 'look powerful'. In his way of thinking, Trump could say 'I have these documents and can do what I want with them'. Leverage? Ego? Stupidity? Trying the emulate a Mission: Impossible of James Bond plot? Whatever way, this was done to further his own purpose and may only make sense in his own mind. That said and done, we should never underestimate Trump or think Trump is a fool or is the only one out there that is a threat. Trump still has countless followers, has books and TV programmes dedicated to him and remains a major topic of discussion everywhere. A fool? Or a clever divisive individual who acts the fool to divert and divide? The latter more like it. Trump has reinvented himself countless times and just when you think he is down and out, he comes back. A big part of this is his opportunistic nature and lack of any real ideology. He is well used to using what he has around him and turning it to his advantage. In his way of thinking, he could well just take those documents, intend to do nothing with them and cry 'witchhunt' when investigated. Poor Donald the victim is played once more to his audience who become more indoctrinated by the conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

At first I thought for sure he’s taken these files as leverage or insurance, he’ll spill the beans if anyone comes for him. But thinking about it, there’s a very real possibility of huge deals being done. All it would take is a ‘connected’ visitor staying at the resort to be allowed into that room with a phone. The idea is horrific, it could already have happened.

Reports are that the FBI got CCTV footage of mar a Lago and showed someone there moving materials in and out of the storage room after the FBI visited and the room was padlocked ie. While this dispute over missing material was ongoing.

We can’t say for sure it happened… but it would be prudent for anyone in the national security industry to assume it has happened.

Jared kushner got paid 2 billion dollars by the Saudis after Trump left office. Saudis have been trying to get access to US nuclear technology forever....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/Trump%2520Saudi%2520Nuclear%2520Report%2520-%25202-19-2019.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjCg5_Fncj5AhVCQkEAHYkpAkM4ChAWegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw03LxCMe6CnhTKg9TRo8tQ6

All of the Russia gate stuff might have distracted from him really being a Manchurian candidate for Saudi Arabia

Or else he's just so corrupt that he'd sell his own mother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Probably for the same reason Hillary Clinton did

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There were some typos in the derivation of the nuclear equations which needed to be fixed

I guess someone should lock her up for that so

• Advertisement

Imagine if someone made that their campaign promise, and then didn't follow through on it. I'd be pretty miffed for wasting my vote

Advertisement