Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yep cut double the amount myself this year as did nearly everyone around here because of the green parties bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

1995, boy that was some Summer and we were left alone to enjoy it without the constant doomsday whinging if the sun appears for two days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is that not a problem with the insulation on your property? Not used any heating since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Best of memories from 95, days upon days of pure sunshine. If it happened now the carbon tax would double !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My home heating is controlled by a thermostat. I never turn the heating off, as I don't need to, but it came on multiple times in June because the house was colder than the target temperature of 19°C inside. It's got nothing to do with me doing the right thing or not, it's simply a fact of the weather that this has not been a scorching summer for it's duration, nor has it been dry, as there was significant rain to the point I had to dash outside with a ladder in a downpour to clear some leaves that were causing the gutters to overflow.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lol. Europe is having a temporary drought, "nothing to see here" but if Ireland has a temporary electricity shortage it's the end of the world and the greens caused it.

In case you didn't know, water is essential for life. Electricity is a modern convenience.

Because of climate change glaciers are disappearing, rivers are running dry, lakes are evaporating, rainfall patterns are changing causing droughts and extreme floods.

That wouldn't have happened without climate change

How many people live in the middle part of Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭ginger22

how many people ever lived in the middle part of Australia

Climate change certainly threatens the existence of species, island communities, coastal cities, and many parts of the world where there is already heat stress will be pushed over the edge.

If we fail to prevent the emergence of positive feedbacks abrupt runaway climate change can happen where the survival of human civilization is at stake.

Of course a few people might survive amongst the rubble to scratch out an existence post apocalypse so yeah. I guess you win the argument, it's not an existential crisis

• Advertisement

My point is that human adaptation has its limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭ginger22

and what sacrifices are you making to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No electricity = No water.

Just to let you know.

I'm not hubristic enough to believe I can make any personal sacrifices big enough to make a difference. I am prepared to accept higher taxes and higher energy bills if they are required to accelerate the transition to zero carbon energy. I am prepared to sacrifice some 'freedom of choice' as a consumer if regulations are imposed that mean unsustainable goods and services are no longer available etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So split the difference 7 years to build, how many years to get through planning and legal issues, like under law they are banned.

No problem with my insulation. There were evenings during June when it felt like March. Grass growth was poor during June as well because of that.

Overall this has not been a great Summer. If it wasn`t for the last week it would have been a forgettable one. There has also been a fair bit of rain. Even Irish Water have not been doing their usual Summer hue and cry. I do not know where you are, but here for other years after a week of sunshine and good temperatures you would see it in the grass wilting but here this year there is no sign of that.

Ryan could triple the carbon tax and all it would do is have more people cutting turf that he is not going to get a red cent in carbon tax from.

His attempts at messing around with turf is just another example of greens being very poor on joined up thinking.

We have seen that when it comes to changing laws it`s the stroke of a pen. If that required a referendum then so be it. At least in a run up to a referendum both sides would get equal time from our national broadcaster to make their case. Planning would takes as long as it takes, but when you see how quickly some wind farms and solar farms have been granted planning over opposition, not unreasonable to expect the same for a nuclear plant imo. As I said, An Taisce as far as I recall, already had a cut through the E.U. courts on Hinkley, so planning permission would be solely a matter for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You are describing a very very distant hypothetical future. Like couple more generations in future. Meanwhile this is what you actually promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Repent now! You have all had it too good for too long, you have disregarded what you have been told too often and the end of the world is nigh. Give up your wicked ways, repent now or the righteous fury will consume you.

Eco-alarmists aren’t only wrong about the death of Earth – they’re wrong about life on Earth right now. The message they constantly send is that everything is dire. The big, disgusting ‘human footprint’ on poor Mother Earth is causing heatwaves and storms and death on an unprecedented scale, they say. It is all so overblown. We are actually safer from nature’s violent whims than we have ever been. The number of people dying in natural calamities fell from around 500,000 a year in the 1920s to 14,000 in 2020. That’s a 96 per cent drop. The percentage of human beings living in poverty fell from more than 80 per cent at the start of the 19th century to less than 20 per cent in the 2010s. Deaths from disease and war have also declined dramatically in the modern era. Child labour, too. Life expectancy, meanwhile, has shot up. In Europe, it went from 34 years to 79 years between 1770 and 2019. That is, at the exact time that mankind was having industrial revolutions and allegedly being a plague on the planet, the health and prospects of humanity improved in a way our ancestors could only have dreamed of. It’s almost as if modernity is good for us.

High temperatures and droughts have also been documented in Europe going back over centuries. For example, ecclesiastical documents from Spain referencing the period 1506 to 1900 in Toledo and Madrid, show that “the most severe droughts were recorded during the period from the end of the 16th Century up until the 18th Century”.

Dutch records show that the year 1540 was one with an even hotter summer than the heat wave year of 2003. “This Europe-wide heat wave lasted for seven months, harvests were destroyed and thousands of cattle died, leading to wide spread famine and death. The Rhine dried up and it was reported that people could walk upon the Seine riverbed in Paris without getting their feet wet.”

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

"Climate change: Ireland declares climate emergency, 9 May 2019" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48221080

Now I don't agree with there being any sort of emergency or that Ireland needs to do anything whatsover to decrease emissions, for reasons including a country responsible for just 0.03 % of the small amount of atmospheric CO2 that comes from anthropogenic sources isn't going to make any difference whatsoever. So I'm perfectly happy if nothing is done whatsoever, but anyone who thinks there is an actual emergency in the form of a real threat to humankind would not be concerned about things like planning permission or stupid laws passed by stupid leprechauns.

Planning permission as a thing, only exists because of laws, as with the stupid no nuclear thing. I don't know why so many Irish people think laws are permanent and unchangeable, but here's a shock for you, they aren't.

If the government truly believed there was an emergency, and that it was important tht Ireland do something meaningful in a short time frame, they would just amend the planning legislation and rescind the national embarrassment that is the nuclear ban, and they wouldn't hang about doing so, either.

These things are artificial and unnecessary constraints, they could be removed or altered very rapidly, then Ireland could have a near zero electricity grid inside of ten years. not failing to achieve that aim even in 30 years, which is the current reality. Not only that, but making the capacity higher than present needs, would in one stroke solve the problem of an inability to power an all electric fleet of cars and the even bigger problem of powering heat pumps.

I wonder how many listed buildings or national monuments were built with planning permission?

I do so like being proved right. less than twelve hours later and it's now raining outside, thunder is rumbling and the temperature's dropping.

The BBC weather just announced that the heat wave is over and that next week the UK can expects lots of thunderstorms with heavy downpours and it will get a lot cooler. Greenies really are all encompassingly thick. Europe is burning, climate change has caused a drought, we are all doomed; and then with a series of loud rolling booms, the heavens opened up, the rain came thundering down, the temperature dropped and reality prevailed.

Give it a day, and rain, thunder and dropping temperature will be further proof that we are all doomed if we do not repent and become unquestioning supporters of the green cult.

Another link droppings just left there. You should do more of them, 150 a day over multiple threads simply isn't enough link spamming. We need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Quick thread catch-up:

• I also had the heating kick in a couple of times this June. Being a good eco-saint who watches their carbon footprint my thermostat is only set to 18°C.
    • Remember 1995 very well. Passed through the midlands on the way to climbing Croagh Patrick on the hottest day. Back then the cure for a heatwave was an ice-pop in the local garage, not a tripling of your electricity bills forever.
    • And being an old geezer, I also remember 1976. Spent much of the summer in the UK. People's lawns didn't just wither and bleach, many cracked up and had deep gullies running across them. Spent a week on a flat-bottomed boat on the Thames, which managed to not dry up.
    • I seem to remember the 80s having cloudier summers than either the 70s or 90s. I think nature was rebelling against all the depressing pop music and fashion crimes.

The lizard people pay me in Illuminati dollars

"Lol. Europe is having a temporary drought, "nothing to see here" but if Ireland has a temporary electricity shortage it's the end of the world and the greens caused it."

A temporary electricity shortage is when a cat gets into the local sub-transformer. That's a bit different from a permanently unstable grid because the energy minister doesn't see fit to provide essential capacity or allow fuel to be imported.

"In case you didn't know, water is essential for life. Electricity is a modern convenience."

Only a Greenie could be this naive. It's been estimated that a total grid shutdown in the US could kill between two thirds and 90% of the population in a year or so. That's a bit more than a "convenience".

"Because of climate change glaciers are disappearing, rivers are running dry, lakes are evaporating, rainfall patterns are changing causing droughts and extreme floods."

Yeah, we're going to have to do a bit of adapting alright (as we have been for the past 100 years).

"I'm not hubristic enough to believe I can make any personal sacrifices big enough to make a difference. I am prepared to accept higher taxes and higher energy bills if they are required to accelerate the transition to zero carbon energy."

See, that's what intrigues me. Your end goal is to get to zero carbon energy. What happened to stopping climate change? Let me ask it more bluntly: how many degrees of warming will be saved by Ireland crippling its energy supply and tripling energy prices? I would take every cent of that money and spend it on adaptation as required. Because, in order to be effective, policy responses have to:

• actually achieve something,
    • yield a greater benefit than the same resources expended elsewhere.

(Note: "achieving something" doesn't include engendering a warm fuzzy feeling of Green virtue while people are starved of vital energy).

• Advertisement

China is the world's largest generator of solar power but they've discovered a fly in the ointment -- finding enough land to put all that low density energy generation on ...

China’s cities face tough choice: More green energy or food

Fortunately, they're about to become the world's second largest user of nukes (after the US) with 54 in operation and 23 under construction:

Perhaps even more interesting, they just completed and are about to commission their first demonstration LFTR -- liquid fluoride thorium molten salt reactor. Expected to take six years to construct, they finished it in three. They plan to have their first commercial scale unit on the grid by 2030. These things operate at ambient pressure, use less water, and produce much less and much shorter-lived wastes and none of the actinides of LWRs:

The only downside is that China will own a lot of IP in a technology that was invented in the west but languished due to bureaucracy and -- some would say -- lack of vision:

Post edited by ps200306 on

Advertisement