Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Great, thank you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Anyone who has switched how similar is the process to applying for the mortgage? Do you have to be in the same job for 12 months or do you have to have savings or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Going through a broker for Avant, we had to provide everything again - bank statements, payslips, savings details etc. I think you just need to be through any probation period, rather than specifically 12 months in a job.

I would expect if you are switching then the new bank treat it the same as a new mortgage application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I think EBS are quite unusual to have no breakage fee aren't they? I've not heard of them charging anybody! I was glad of it as was only 2 months into 4 year term but it's strange business philosophy for them! I'm in a solar panel group on facebook and a good few people there got onto the green mortgage after BER improvement and none of them charged for breaking either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I think the breakage fee depends on the cost of funds at the time when the mortgage was taken out. Mine goes back to 2005. But I agree - since 2017 I got out of fixed rate early several times and was never charged anything. One thing to note is that sometimes people in the branch can give you the wrong info. I rang them 6 months ago to switch to a different rate and was told not to bother as breakage fee was around 1k. Recently I decided to double check and emailed the branch and got an email back saying breakage fee is 0 so I quickly moved to lower rate.

P.S. - my solar panels are going up in Dec. Hopefully that green rate is still there in December for me to switch again :)

Yeah whilst the terms and conditions so indicate you may get charged a fee I've not heard of it recently. Important to highlight to any EBS customers on this forum.

Currently B3 so scraped the green mortgage without panels, hoping to get into A territory after the BER yesterday to future proof in case green mortgage criteria are greater in 4 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Avant Money to raise fixed mortgage rates (rte.ie)

Mortgage provider Avant Money said it will increase its mortgage interest rates from Monday August 15 after the recent rate hike from the European Central Bank.

Avant said that market funding costs have risen sharply this year and with one ECB rate change already announced, more are anticipated.

It said today it will increase its three-year fixed rate product by 0.3% so that rates now start from 2.25%.

The mortgage provider's four-year and five-year fixed rate products increase by 0.5%, while its seven-year fixed rate product will go up by 0.7%.

Avant Money also offers longer term fixed rate mortgages with terms fixed up to 30 years. It said the cost of these mortgages will increase by 1%.

In today's statement, Avant said its current fixed rates will be available to customers with a "letter of offer" who complete full mortgage drawdown by close of business on Friday September 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not much point in that. Applications can take months. What you're told at the start is valid for about a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Q&A

EBS are not unique. There are rules around the calculation of break fees. Basically break fees must reflect the cost/how out of pocket the lender is because of your early repayment (it assumes the lender reinvests in the interbank market). interbank rates have moved in such a way - basically they've increased - that based on when you drew down your mortgage your lender would not be out of pocket so the fee is zero.

Of course it's not possible to say the break fee will be zero for everyone as it depends on the difference between interbank rates on the day you originally fixed and the day you break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If it's the same provider it's simple. Quick online form in most cases.

A new lender is a new mortgage application so you'd need to provide all the usual stuff you mentioned.

Advent hiking their fixed rates from next week after the recent ECB movements.

Its strange though that nobody at all gets charged from EBS and any posts I've seen about other banks they seem to charge, it can't be coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It's not coincidence it's a reflection of the increase in market rates in the last 6-9 months.

My point is that is it a coincidence that nobody from EBS is getting charged a breakage fee and all the other banks are charging it.how come other banks are charging if they are all using the same formula? That's the part that confuses me. When i google "We will not charge you an Early Breakage Charge EBS" I get the third result states "We will not charge you an Early Breakage Charge" but then you click on it and it's no mentioned anywhere. I just can't understand why all other banks are charging the fee and EBS aren't if it's a reflection of the increase in market rates in the last 6-9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my break fee dropped from 3.5k to 0 this year, non ebs, it’s a function of the rate increase impact on the formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ElitesTeam

I got my AIB breakage fee of 0 and posted off the form with the interest rate last Monday. How long before people got confirmation that they have received the change of interest rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PD2019

Do BER Ratings change much overtime? Cert recently expired but its B3 on it. I'll have to get an updated cert but how likely is it that it will still be B3? The property is an apartment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

would i be able to switch banks,we have a split morgage ,total morgage about 100000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm in same boat. C1, better rate for B3 or better. Phoned one BER company and they said 'technology has changed and they might be able to get a better rating'.......so it'd be €270 (or thereabouts) to see IF the rating improves.

Would be well worth it IF it changes but if it doesn't, would feel like a mug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

At €270 it's probably worth a punt in my view. Was in a similar position myself and went for it a few months back. If you have paperwork relating to improvements it's worth showing them to the accessor or if you have builders drawing showing what insulation was put in first day otherwise I believe minimum figures are used in the calculations.

Have a look at Bonkers.ie to see ho much would the change of rate save you over the 5 year fixed term.

Post edited by Cape Clear on

Is there anything you can do easily? Check all the bulbs were LED? Could you install a smart heating controller? See if any easy things to change on last BER recomendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I got a break fee of 0 from BOI today based on current interbank rates.

If i was to begin the switching process today to another lender, could it be a case of:

the break fee increasing to a few thousand, fixed interest rates on offer today increase before completing the switch, and still being on the hook for solicitor fees? if I decided it's not worth it when about to draw down because of a break fee and interest rate increase.

Technically yes, interbank rates could move against you and your break fee could rise but is is extremely unlikely. Sentiment would have to change dramatically. Markets would have to change their minds about the expected future ECB rate increases. Given the ECB focus is on trying to bring down inflation it's extremely unlikely

You can always break and go variable with BOI if really concerned.

The bigger risk is your potential new lender ups their rates before you complete the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Assuming your fixed rate with BOI started before January this year, then there's is no chance of it being anything other than zero as there is no chance of market rates dropping considerably or even a smidgen in the next few months.

You'd need the war to end and everyone shaking hands with Putin and becoming best mates with him and all within 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Cheers lads. That's one fear alieved a bit. Just hope I can avoid any interest rate increases to the product I'm applying for.

Started applying via AIB online tool on Monday morning and have since managed to to get AIP and all required info uploaded. Some has even been verified already. I think I was still filling in forms with my broker at this stage when applying to BOI last time.

My broker actually recommended me to use the tool over him as it should be quicker. He's a mate and probably doesn't tell that to all his clients. So if anyone is debating between a broker and doing it themselves, at least with AIB, it might be quicker to apply directly. He has also stopped recommending Haven due to how much of a mess applying is. Was telling me that most his clients have everything done with AIB before Haven even begin reviewing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭vinniem

If you are switching to a new bank, as above its like applying for new mortgage. It's a right pain, don't mind when people say it's easy because it's not!! But it is worth it for sure 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ECB raising interest rates by 0.75%:

Cannot see the banks not passing that on to customers. Glad I broke out of my old fixed rate last month that still had 12 months to run, refixed for 5 years with no breakage fee. New rate is slightly higher than before but if I was to wait a year until the old rate finished god knows what the fixed rates will be like then.

If your on a tracker rate or don't have long to run on your current fixed rate I'd recommend looking at breaking out of those. I think we are in for a sustaned term of interest rate hikes.

Advertisement